Master/mistress

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
(No, this is not a BDSM thing)

I'm wondering about titles in my space opera setting. I have a female protagonist who becomes the grand master of an order, but should that be "grand mistress"? Is mistress used in that context, or is master a genderless title in this situation?

I also have "sword master" as an occupation, ie. people who train others in fencing. Does "sword mistress" work here, for the ladies?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Ask Mr. Saavik.

I mean... we're moving away from that language currently. Would people in your space opera be using it? I dunno, it's your thing but that'd be my consideration.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Well, since Master denotes male, I'd say Mistress. Plus, I googled it and surfed onto a fantasy with a Grand Mistress in the title.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
(No, this is not a BDSM thing)

I'm wondering about titles in my space opera setting. I have a female protagonist who becomes the grand master of an order, but should that be "grand mistress"? Is mistress used in that context, or is master a genderless title in this situation?

I also have "sword master" as an occupation, ie. people who train others in fencing. Does "sword mistress" work here, for the ladies?

I, too, would probably go with a genderless title for the head of the order, especially if anyone can rise to that position.

In the second instance, you're referring to the designation given someone who has reached a consummate level of skill (mastery), so I'd go with "sword master."

Now, those are just my opinions.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
In terms of trades, particularly recently, Master is used as a non-gendered title. I am a Web master; not a Web mistress.

If you want to avoid the issue somewhat, you can use Magister, the Latin ancestor of Modern English master.