Can you tweet without reading or replying to others’ tweets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Good point, but I also have notifications set to on for my Twitter account. So when people interact with my Twitter account, I'm notified and then I do go to Twitter.
Doesn't matter. If you're dropping shit on Twitter just to drop shit on twitter, you're spamming...you're wasting twitter and junking it up for everyone else. NOBODY appreciates it. Either LIVE TWEET or SILENCE. Keep the feed clean of your generated crap. Nobody wants it.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Emaree, your list sounds good but what if I get thousands of readers who want to follow me? [i’m an optimist].

I cant follow that many and so I would not follow them but I would need to leave open the possibility that I could read some of their replies.

Lizmonster, you say: “The potentially controversial nature of your subject matter might possibly be an asset for you on Twitter, but even so, social media isn't a great seller of books for most people”

yeah, that’s what I hear, that social media really isn’t a great marketing tool. But I figure I need some way to keep on touch with readers.

Re “The potentially controversial nature of my subject matter,” I love India but criticize it mercilessly. Not sure that would interest most western readers but I never intended my tweets to be endlessly about India anyway.

Your first point about followers--Twitter doesn't work like that. You are guaranteed NOT to get thousands of followers if you never interact, unless you're a celebrity. And you can follow thousands. I follow something like 2000 people, which I have divided into lists, and I have a lot more followers than that. I've built that network over years, and I've met lots of new people there.

I use Tweetdeck, so I can split my lists into columns and check which groups I want. Twitter clients like Tweetdeck make it much easier to manage a large following.

No one will see your tweets unless they follow you, or they're following a hashtag you're using. If you use the kind of hashtags generally appropriate for book pitches, most people won't be following those, except bots and other spammers. If you try to cheat and use popular hashtags that don't relate to your book, you can look forward to getting blocked and reported a lot.

In my experience, there are two things that draw real attention on Twitter: adorable animal pictures, and controversy. If you get involved in social/political discussions about your subject matter, you could possibly generate some interest. You'll also draw trolls, but the mute/block tools work pretty well.

My biggest advice about Twitter: do a lot of reading before mouthing off (actually I'd say the same for any new social media or forums). Newbies sometimes inadvertently step on toes of those who should be allies by making the same tired statements or points the experience folks have seen a hundred times already. Immersing yourself slowly, rather than stomping in like you're the only expert in the room, avoids that.

Personally, I love Twitter. But then I favor those adorable animal pics more than controversy. :) Though I do follow plenty of socio-political activists--I rely on them to keep me informed. And most of them I just listen to instead of trying to tell them anything.

crossword

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Many people said readers don't want endless buy my book tweets. Naturally I understand that, but I never intended my tweets to be only that. As I said before: “I’d like to tweet quotes from my WIPs, give teasers from my books, etc.”

to elaborate, I would love to post stuff like this:

“A beta reader told me that though its usually obvious the hero and heroine will end up together in any romance, in your book, the MCs have such fundamentally different values that I wasn’t sure it would happen and how you would be able to reconcile their differences.

Do YOU think Inara and Ariston should end up together? Would you prefer to see her end up with someone who shares her values?

then something else I would like to post:

some beta readers thought the Idyllans were rather holier than thou. I'm a bit sad that goodness is considered sanctimony. Did you find the Idyllans too goody-goody?

then, as I said I'd also like to post memorable lines from my novel.

So you see, at least half my posts would be about my characters and world. I’d ask readers questions and encourage them to engage and to think about my story more deeply.

I've been checking out the twitter feed of one of my fave authors, hoping to find more info about her characters and world. Instead I found endless political tweets. Some are funny and witty but I didn't go to her twitter to read her political views. I wanted to immerse myself more in the world she created because I love it, love it, love it. Instead I get her immersion in politics.

It was because I feel this way that I felt my readers would feel the same. I assume when anyone loves a novel or series they want to learn more about those characters and that world. Why the hell would anyone care what I think of Trump? Is he the most interesting person in the world or something? Would you not much rather know more about the inner workings of that character I drew that you fell in love with????

sure, i’d comment on current affairs. Eg, on the Kathy Griffin thing i’d have commented its a sign of the world and times we live in that she could have thought people would be fine with the image of a severed head and one reason I watch little TV is because of all the violent garbage thats on it that desensitizes people to what is acceptable. And though what she did was idiotic, I don't think she deserves to lose her livelihood for it.

Obviously like most people I have opinions on whats going in the world, so yes when a hot topic trends i’d give my opinion as I did above.

But generally i’d stay away from politics, especially American politics, and especially from Trump because that’s a very divisive subject. No matter what you write, half your readers will disagree with you and its isnt my intent to alienate any portion of my readers.

So what do you think? Can I blog and tweet things like what i’ve listed above? That is, asking readers questions that encourage them to comment on my book? And also giving my opinions of hot new topics/current events? Surely if I kept my social media to things like that, it could still be interesting and not be considered spamming or only marketing?

Lizmonster said: “If you're looking for direct reader engagement, Goodreads may be a better bet than Twitter. They have a Q&A section, and Goodreads will actually seed questions for you to get you started, so your readers have a place to start when they first click on your stuff.”

that sounds good but I suspect many of my readers may not be on GR and won't want to make an account just to keep in touch with me. Therefore a blog, Facebook or Twitter account or all 3 of these might be the easiest way since most people can easily connect through those.

However GR sounds good for those readers who would like a place where they can connect with each other to discuss my books.

I guess GR is the answer if I want to talk only about my books and don't want to talk about current events.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Many people said readers don't want endless buy my book tweets. Naturally I understand that, but I never intended my tweets to be only that. As I said before: “I’d like to tweet quotes from my WIPs, give teasers from my books, etc.”

“A beta reader told me that though its usually obvious the hero and heroine will end up together in any romance, in your book, the MCs have such fundamentally different values that I wasn’t sure it would happen and how you would be able to reconcile their differences.

Do YOU think Inara and Ariston should end up together? Would you prefer to see her end up with someone who shares her values?

then something else I would like to post:

some beta readers thought the Idyllans were rather holier than thou. I'm a bit sad that goodness is considered sanctimony. Did you find the Idyllans too goody-goody?

then, as I said I'd also like to post memorable lines from my novel.

So you see, at least half my posts would be about my characters and world. I’d ask readers questions and encourage them to engage and to think about my story more deeply.

I've been checking out the twitter feed of one of my fave authors, hoping to find more info about her characters and world. Instead I found endless political tweets. Some are funny and witty but I didn't go to her twitter to read her political views. I wanted to immerse myself more in the world she created because I love it, love it, love it. Instead I get her immersion in politics.

It was because I feel this way that I felt my readers would feel the same. I assume when anyone loves a novel or series they want to learn more about those characters and that world. Why the hell would anyone care what I think of Trump? Is he the most interesting person in the world or something? Would you not much rather know more about the inner workings of that character I drew that you fell in love with????

sure, i’d comment on current affairs. Eg, on the Kathy Griffin thing i’d have commented its a sign of the world and times we live in that she could have thought people would be fine with the image of a severed head and one reason I watch little TV is because of all the violent garbage thats on it that desensitizes people to what is acceptable. And though what she did was idiotic, I don't think she deserves to lose her livelihood for it.

Obviously like most people I have opinions on whats going in the world, so yes when a hot topic trends i’d give my opinion as I did above.

But generally i’d stay away from politics, especially American politics, and especially from Trump because that’s a very divisive subject. No matter what you write, half your readers will disagree with you and its isnt my intent to alienate any portion of my readers.

So what do you think? Can I blog and tweet things like what i’ve listed above? That is, asking readers questions that encourage them to comment on my book? And also giving my opinions of hot new topics/current events? Surely if I kept my social media to things like that, it could still be interesting and not be considered spamming or only marketing?

Lizmonster said: “If you're looking for direct reader engagement, Goodreads may be a better bet than Twitter. They have a Q&A section, and Goodreads will actually seed questions for you to get you started, so your readers have a place to start when they first click on your stuff.”

that sounds good but I suspect many of my readers may not be on GR and won't want to make an account just to keep in touch with me. Therefore a blog, Facebook or Twitter account or all 3 of these might be the easiest way since most people can easily connect through those.

However GR sounds good for those readers who would like a place where they can connect with each other to discuss my books.

I guess GR is the answer if I want to talk only about my books and don't want to talk about current events.

Sorry, I guess I'm confused because it sounds like you don't want to talk back to people in your ideal scenario here, just post -- so what is the point of asking questions about characters to people?

I'd consider that spamming, personally, if I followed an author who was just posting 'here's a sentence from my book...' or 'some readers think this about my character, what do you think?' That just reads to me like advertising, buy my book stuff, same as just saying 'buy my book,' especially if you're not engaging with people.

As to what people want if they follow authors on social media, I think most people are interested in the authors as people, not to read something they could get from the 'book group discussion' page at the back of the book, or sentences from books they've read.

Look at JKR's feed. She does reveal some things about characters or the world, but it's usually in response to reader's questions, because she engages with them. She also posts random stuff, political stuff, funny stuff, stuff that combines those. She talks to random fans, other authors, etc.

She posted this the other day in response to a Trump tweet --

.@StephenKing On a sliding scale of Annie Wilkes to Cujo, what level of delusion do you reckon we're at today?

That's what people want, not because it's political specifically, but because it shows so much of who she is. I read a couple feeds from actors I like; occasionally they mention some unknown tidbit from a role, but mostly it's just stuff -- same as anyone else's feed. If they weren't funny/interesting/whatever, I wouldn't read. If I like the person and look and they seem bananas or don't post anything interesting or personal (nothing nuts, but if all they post is stuff from press releases, why bother?) or funny, I'm not wasting time reading.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Emaree, your list sounds good but what if I get thousands of readers who want to follow me? [i’m an optimist].

Cross that bridge when you come to it. By the point that you have thousands of readers wanting to follow you, you're probably more experienced with Twitter can can toggle the privacy options to suit you -- allowing users who have verified their e-mail and telephone number to speak to you, for instance.

All the options I listed are flexible. Tweak them to suit. If it doesn't work for you, change it.

yeah, that’s what I hear, that social media really isn’t a great marketing tool. But I figure I need some way to keep on touch with readers.

I don't understand why you're not just using a contact form on your website, if this is your goal. E-mail works! It's an excellent way to keep in touch with readers.

Also, since you like 'broadcasting' but not engaging, consider creating a mailing list. You'll have a captive audience and low pressure about interactions.

I love India but criticize it mercilessly. Not sure that would interest most western readers but I never intended my tweets to be endlessly about India anyway.

I work in IT. A huge part of my life involves interacting with Indian colleagues, and I spend a lot of time getting to know their area and learning about our cultural differences and similarities. Don't underestimate your audience.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly - don't be too concerned that you'll be flooded with followers on twitter. Apart from family, most of your first tranche are going to be bots.

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Honestly - don't be too concerned that you'll be flooded with followers on twitter. Apart from family, most of your first tranche are going to be bots.

Yup. Also, since your Twittering strategy seems to involve mostly tweeting about your books, have you put thought into how these readers are supposed to find you? Have you checked that Twitter is their preferred platform?

No point targeting an audience if the audience isn't there.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
You just do what you do. Everyone's voice (political or not) should be heard, and if you are speaking up and out for people who are not generally heard, then, that is better. Of course, you will have "haters." Certain authors have had death threats. Look at Salmon Rushdie.

Famous people have personal assistants who possibly browse through tweets and e-mails. They are often also too busy to do such menial and time-consuming tasks. Looking at such stuff yourself would be a 24/7 job, and you would never do your real job (writing). I do not think you could write (or it would cause a block) if you worried about what others say, and obsessed about what random "trolls" are saying on the tweet device. Your publisher, your lawyer, family members, close friends, respected people in the business, and your spiritual counselors are the only people who you should really listen to.

Remember that when people are anonymous, they will say much worse, and mean spirited things than they will say if they are looking you in the eye.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score

To me, those are essentially the same as "buy my book" tweets.

As to what people want if they follow authors on social media, I think most people are interested in the authors as people, not to read something they could get from the 'book group discussion' page at the back of the book, or sentences from books they've read.

Yeah, this.

Status
Not open for further replies.