Status
Not open for further replies.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Makes me think of my 87 year old aunt in Houston. She has a shirt that says "Just to make things easier for you, always assume that I am right." It was given to her by a son in law. My aunt has kept her sense of humor, though. Not so sure about Feinstein, Reid, McConnell. --s6

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Dianne Feinstein seems to have swallowed that particular Koolaid, when suggesting that maybe he'll improve if we "give him time." His problems aren't due to inexperience, they're due to character.

I think those of us who live in CA should flood her phone line and say just that.

Fight him, and the GOP, at every turn.

An excellent assessment.

Lately there's been a lot of articles about why Trump won – it's still hard to fathom for many of us. And of course, there is no one reason – there seldom is.

There's been a lot of talk about his appeal to the white working-class, who in many respects in truth have been left behind by our economy. It's usually presented as primarily a vote based on economic issues.(Of course, the same can be said for the African American working class, and more so. So why is it only the white working-class who are so enthusiastic for Donald Trump?)

I think this op ed from the Times, which hits some of the same notes, makes a very good case for what it really is.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/...tive-action.html?smid=fb-share&referer=https:

It appears we've come full circle--back to the explanation of racism as the dominant reason for Trump's "success." Back in November, people, including other liberals, shamed those of us who suggested this. It was this kind of divisive, disrespectful talk that had sown the seeds of Trump's victory, people cried. His victory was really down to decent, hard working folks who felt like they had no other option? They felt both parties had betrayed them, and they were voting for the "outsider."

The outsider who only began to be taken seriously by the Right (or its fart trumpeter, Fox News) when he became spokesman for a movement aimed at discrediting our first Black President, not by taking on Obama's politics directly, but by insisting that he couldn't possibly be a "real" American.

Did no one notice things like this, this, this, this, or this before Trump was elected and started to sign executive orders?

No one really wants to believe how racist "white" America still is at its heart, but the writing is on the wall. I'm sure any culture's darkest side becomes more pronounced when people feel the pinch, when they're anxious about the future, but white nationalism is the poison that oozes out when times are tight and the future uncertain.

Last edited:

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I think a lot of people told themselves that Trump couldn't be *that* bad. They remembered the unbalanced sorts who claimed that Obama was going to cancel elections, and GW Bush was responsible for 9/11. There is always, they concluded, people who will assume that the election of someone from the other side means that the sky is falling, and we can safely ignore that. The system would prevent anyone truly unfit from getting elected to the position.

But now big chunks of firmament are plummeting to the ground, and the president is pushing that hand on the nuclear destruction clock ever closer to 12.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Mepredicts that soon he will fire General Kelly as Chief of Staff. Rumors are rampant that he is unpleased with the constraints on his behavior that Kelly is trying to impose. Jettisoning anybody who irritates him is Donald Trump's major reflex. When (not if) he does that, mealsopredicts he will replace Kelly with Jared Kushner.

caw

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back to boorish, first visit to TX: He was so pleased with the crowds that came to see him. Pics are all over his Twitter page.

Second visit after I imagine being instructed in the ways of empathy and actually interacting with affected people: He proclaimed how wonderful it all was.

Donald Trump Says Hurricane Harvey Has "Been A Wonderful Thing" for Texas
He also told everyone to "have a good time."
“They were just happy … a lot of happiness,” he said. “It’s been very nice. It’s been a wonderful thing. It’s – as tough as this was, it’s been a wonderful thing. I think even for the country to watch and for the world to watch. It’s been beautiful. Have a good time everybody, I’m going to be doing a little help over here.”

There are a lot of adjectives to describe Hurricane Harvey. “Nice” and “wonderful” aren’t nearly two of them. To be fair, he was probably referring to the local’s response to the storm, but after so many people were displaced from where they live as well as deaths and injuries, sensitivity is crucial.

Anyway, check out a segment of what Donald Trump had to say below.
[see link for video]

*I'll believe the million dollar donation when I see evidence of it and when it's clear it didn't come from the Trump Foundation which Trump contributes no personal money to.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, he is Mother Theresa.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
NOAA weather models paints Irma's trajectory right on top of Mar-A-Lago. Talk about getting a hard lesson in climate change.

-cb

Last edited:

Technophobe

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. Even as the head of FEMA tells the American public they need to stop relying on FEMA to solve their problems.

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...he will replace Kelly with Jared Kushner.

caw

Me, running through the halls, screaming, "NOOOOOO!"

That never occurred to me, but I bet you're right.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh the irony.

-cb

Actually, Trump already knows how to scam the insurance companies, inflating damage claims and pocketing the money.

Trump took $17 million in insurance for damage few remember
Donald Trump pocketed some of a $17 million insurance payment in 2005 for hurricane damage to Mar-a-Lago, his private club in Palm Beach, but few can remember much damage...

In a deposition in an unrelated civil lawsuit, Trump said he got the cash from a "very good insurance policy" and cited ongoing work to the historic home.

"Landscaping, roofing, walls, painting, leaks, artwork in the — you know, the great tapestries, tiles, Spanish tiles, the beach, the erosion," he said of the storm damage. "It's still not what it was."
Sounds like a lot of inflated claims for the value of crap like Trump's oil portrait of himself. All that stuff no doubt has inflated values in his insurance schemes. It's clear he profits off of storm damage.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I thought there was something called "checks & balances" that prevented one branch from influencing the other. Or something the like.

-cb

Well, see, turns out that "checks and balances" were keeping America from being Great. Plus I think Obama may have used the words "checks" and/or "balances" at some point in his life. So clearly they have to go...

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Checks" are what 45 promises to write to charities.

"Balances" are the act of waving his arms furiously as he tries to justify why he did, okay no, he never promised that, okay yes he did, but hasn't gotten to it yet.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
I get it now. Trump "tips the balances (DOJ)" so that he can continue to cash "checks" (from the Russians).

-cb

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dick Trump in full dick mode.

President Trump called for a "larger, tougher and more specific," travel ban in response to a terrorist attack that took place in London early Friday morning.

"Another attack in London by a loser terrorist.These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive!"

"Loser terrorists must be dealt with in a much tougher manner.The internet is their main recruitment tool which we must cut off & use better!" Trump continued in a subsequent tweet.

"The travel ban into the United States should be far larger, tougher and more specific-but stupidly, that would not be politically correct!"

Do you see any expression of sympathy and well wishes to those injured in the bombing or declaration of solidarity with Great Britain? No. You do not.

Does Trump know this was the act of a "loser terrorist" instead of a mad bomber? No. He does not.

Did he explain how he knows Scotland Yard had their sights on these "sick and demented people?" No. He did not.

What does the travel ban into the U.S. have to do with a bombing in London that may or may not be the work of a terrorist from one of the countries Trump wants to keep out? Not a blessed thing.

But that's Dick Trump. Bluster, baffle and bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. :e2tomato:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Then there is Trump's proud welcoming of a likely kleptocrat to the White House.

Trump meets Malaysia leader under investigation by his Justice Department
The US Justice Department criminal probe into Prime Minister Najib Razak centers around billions of dollars in assets the US claims were acquired using a government fund and laundered through American firms. Najib denies any wrongdoing. ...

The corruption matter didn't arise, at least in public, during Najib's visit. Seated around the Cabinet Room table at the White House, the men praised new cooperation between their two countries, including agreements for sales of US-made Boeing jets and General Electric engines.

"I want to thank you very much for all of the investments you made in the United States," Trump said. He lauded stock market growth under his presidency, noting Malaysia's vested interests in American financial markets.

"We are very proud of our stock market and what's happened since I became president," Trump said. "I congratulate you on those investments."
"Thanks for the kickbacks, I'll see what I can do to get the Justice Department to let that little money laundering of embezzled public funds matter go."

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> Does Trump know this was the act of a "loser terrorist" instead
> of a mad bomber? No. He does not.

I'm surprised MI6 is still talking to the CIA / NSA.

> Did he explain how he knows Scotland Yard had their sights on
> these "sick and demented people?" No. He did not.

I'm surprised Scotland Yard is still talking to the FBI / DOJ.

-cb

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this is boorish or confusion, but Melania introduced *45 and then this happened:

As he came to the stage, instead of a kiss on the cheek for his beloved, he gave her an awkward handshake, told “thank you”, and seemingly shoved her off the stage muttering “you go and sit down now”

If you can stand it, watch the video at the link. The pushing off-stage and "sit down" are boorish and odd, but I am not even sure he knew who she was at first. I guess there's no rule that you can't shake your significant other's hand, but I have been with my husband 25 years and I don't think I have even once shaken his hand. I just can't imagine doing it. And it wasn't as though he took her hand affectionately. He extends his arm for a handshake. Odd.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
This man has the social graces of a rabid Tasmanian devil. I'm always creeped out by his ridiculously exaggerated facial expressions, the wide scowling baggy eyes, the absurdly pursed mouth, the clenched-lips smirk. They are cartoon faces, incarnate. The only human being I've ever seen photographs of who exhibited the same degree of ridiculous facial expressions, other than a posing comedian like Jerry Lewis, is Adolf Hitler. And I don't think that qualifies, exactly, as Godwinning. It's just truth.

caw

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this is boorish or confusion, but Melania introduced *45 and then this happened:
If you can stand it, watch the video at the link. The pushing off-stage and "sit down" are boorish and odd, but I am not even sure he knew who she was at first. I guess there's no rule that you can't shake your significant other's hand, but I have been with my husband 25 years and I don't think I have even once shaken his hand. I just can't imagine doing it. And it wasn't as though he took her hand affectionately. He extends his arm for a handshake. Odd.
Wait 'til he starts playing 'macho handshake' games with her. On the other hand, if his memory is failing, this would be a good time to replace the nuclear button with one of those Staples office supply 'Easy' buttons, which he can press with impunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.