Just Another Boorish Day in T-ville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
New tweet:

I will be going to Puerto Rico on Tuesday with Melania. Will hopefully be able to stop at the U.S. Virgin Islands (people working hard).

He's blowing that "lazy Puerto Ricans" dogwhistle hard.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
An assertive woman puts his back hair up and double that for a minority woman. Just a year ago we had AW posts insisting that he was not a racist, not a chauvinist but a wily deal maker. They insisted that if the Left would stop trying to bring him down and give him a chance he would drain the swamp and make us all great again. And those posters were thinking units--people who knew politics and the constitution.

We lefties no longer have to worry about bringing him down. He's doing a great job all by himself. Nice work Donnie. --s6

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Well, at least he'll stop attacking the mayor and whine about press coverage soon, as he'll be hitting the golf course again.

These are the tweets that followed the one Helix posted:

Here's what the mayor is saying (full story here):

In her conversation with reporters in San Juan on Friday afternoon, [San Juan Mayor] Cruz gestured to two large binders filled with paper and said: “Fema asks for documentation, I think we’ve given them enough documentation. They had the gall this morning … of asking me: ‘What are your priorities, mayor?’

“Well, where have you been? And I have been very respectful of the Fema employees. I have been patient but we have no time for patience anymore.

“So, I am asking the president of the United States to make sure somebody is in charge that is up to the task of saving lives.

“They were up the task in Africa when Ebola came over. They were up to the task in Haiti [after the earthquake of 2010]. As they should be. Because when it comes to saving lives we are all part of one community of shared values.

“I will do what I never thought I was going to do: I am begging. I am begging anyone that can hear us to save us from dying. If anybody out there is listening to us, we are dying. And you are killing us with the inefficiency and bureaucracy.”

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I just watched Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz on with Joy Reid and she said, among other things, that this is about saving lives, and she will do anything she has to, including "compliment who she has to compliment."

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Honore's been speaking out about the administration's abysmal response to Hurricane Maria.

Yesterday:

He calls Mr. Trump's response slow and small. Honore was hailed as a hero after he went into the Gulf states after Katrina and put the relief efforts in order.

"Y'all looking at a damn calendar in Washington. I'm looking at a damn watch," he said.

Today:

Retired Lt. General Russel Honoré, who oversaw the U.S. military response to Hurricane Katrina, fired back at President Trump over his early morning tweets attacking Puerto Rican leaders.

“The mayor’s living on a cot, and I hope the president has a good day at golf,” Honoré said in an appearance on CNN.

I just don't even understand how we're letting this happen. I mean, I know why, I guess, but what do we need to do to fix this! There has to be something.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
There are leaders out there that would see the tragedy in Puerto Rico as setting the ground for an amazing resurgence for the island as a whole - to restore the infrastructure in environmentally sustainable ways, to-recreate their economy based on new ways of building, new forms of power, new methods of communication and a new knowledge base that could be a form of export for years to come. But first and foremost comes dealing with the crisis in front of them. SAVE THE PEOPLE. How, at least, is that not obvious to John Kelly, if not to his fragile, racist, four-year-old presidential charge?

I admire the San Juan mayor's (and other Puerto Rican officials') attempt at a pragmatic approach to affect Trump's behavior - they think you get more out of him with honey than vinegar. But I think they failed to realize both how delusional he actually is and that praise and compliments are one-way currency to him. And since he believes any praise that is sent his way, he also believes he IS getting great reviews from his response to the hurricanes, and he IS generating gratitude and approval from the Puerto Ricans, and therefore he doesn't need to do anything more than he's been doing. So when the terrified and frustrated and desperate people realize things are not improving, and their mayors give up trying to flatter Trump into responsible behavior and begin screaming at him, he gets pissy and petulant and turns on them.

The whole situation is beyond comprehension to me at this point - I have no idea what Americans can do to alleviate this in any way, other than support local relief efforts. Maybe someone could whisper to Trump that if he doesn't get that island up and running ASAP, all those nasty Hispanics who dare to consider themselves American citizens will flood into his actual country, and doesn't he want to prevent that at all costs? Although I fear his reaction would be to just let them die in place.

This is the charity recommended by Lin-Manuel Miranda:
https://hispanicfederation.org/donate/

I hope he's working on a particularly catchy and sharp rap excoriating Trump that will go viral and haunt him for the rest of his days.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Honore's been speaking out about the administration's abysmal response to Hurricane Maria.
Get FEMA to hire him as a contractor and put him in charge. Puerto Rico deserves someone who has a clue.

-cb

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Get FEMA to hire him as a contractor and put him in charge. Puerto Rico deserves someone who has a clue.

-cb
He is not white and he criticized *45. Those things alone rule him out for this administration.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
“I will do what I never thought I was going to do: I am begging. I am begging anyone that can hear us to save us from dying. If anybody out there is listening to us, we are dying. And you are killing us with the inefficiency and bureaucracy.

Perhaps I'm too cynical, but it occurs to me that 45 could start to highlight that bolded part. You know, the "gummint can do nothing well" part. (Yes yes, the gummint he's in charge of. But if 45's supporters had knew their ass from a hole in the ground, they wouldn't be 45's supporters.)

Victor Douglas

Things Will Change
Registered
Reaction score
Too bad they can't call on Russia to send some aid. Bet it would arrive very quickly.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Pulitzer, Tony, Grammy, Emmy, etc., winner -- lyricist of his generation, national treasure, noted ridiculously nice, humble guy, kind to everyone, married to his h.s. sweetheart, adoring father, Puerto Rican Lin-Manuel Miranda, whose very active Twitter is normally filled with encouragement, positivity, was driven to this:

You're going straight to hell, @realDonaldTrump.
No long lines for you.
Someone will say, "Right this way, sir."
They'll clear a path....

[and then in response to Trump saying the mayor of San Juan has displayed poor leadership ability]

She has been working 24/7.
You have been GOLFING.
You're going straight to hell.
Fastest golf cart you ever took.

[and to the 'want everything done for them...'

Did you tweet this one from the first hole, 18th hole, or the club?
Anyway, it's a lie. You're a congenital liar.

[then]

I have been so moved by YOUR generosity since Maria.
You deserve a leader who shares an OUNCE, a SHRED of the compassion you all have.

F***, I hate even quote tweeting his bile. My timeline feels dirty.
But these are not ordinary times.

Trump broke Lin-Manuel Miranda.

I think this could be the tipping point. He thinks Nazis with tiki torches were something to see? Wait til a mob of theatre nerds gets after him.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He is sending out text solicitations for campaign contributions and it is if I can quote Hillary, deplorable.

Link Twitter post, containing message

PS-make sure the speakers are on on your computer or phones

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
*45 tweeted this a couple of hours ago:

I told Rex Tillerson, our wonderful Secretary of State, that he is wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man...

Followed by
...Save your energy Rex, we'll do what has to be done!

I've been baking, which is my sanity-saving activity, so I've missed the news. Are we at war yet?

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
cornflake;1027057 I think this could be the tipping point. He thinks Nazis with tiki torches were something to see? Wait til a mob of theatre nerds gets after him.[/QUOTE said:
People with finely-honed mockery and parody skills. And audiences. Yeah, this could break him.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I expect this won't be the worst thing *45 says today in Puerto Rico:

"I hate to tell you Puerto Rico but you've thrown our budget way out of whack."

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
And after he chides PR inhabitants for allowing themselves to be hit by a natural disaster, he spends a lot of time praising the hundreds of millions that will be spend on the latest jet fighter he's salivating over like a kid with a Christmas catalogue.

He also told them they didn't have a "real" disaster like Katrina.

Status
Not open for further replies.