Author site for the poor

DamienLoveshaft

Fudanshi
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.damienloveshaft.com
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had good advice on making an author site on a tight budget. I don't work a secondary job to support my writing as my small town doesn't have much in the way of part time work. I have a little money to play with, but I want to be smart about it. Also does anyone have a recommendation for when you should put up your author site? Your first book launch? Before?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to move this thread to Book promotion Ideas and Advice, but check out this thread in particular:

How To Promote Your Book Like An Intelligent Human Being and Not An SEO Dweeb

I'd start thinking about a domain name now; that's the yourauthorname.com part of a Web address.

Be sure that the name you register is really the one you want.

I'd also look at using a free site now to get the hang of things.

Both WordPress.org (my personal choice) and Blogger are free.

If you're writing and promoting erotica though, I'd suggest paid hosting in the future, once you actually have a book to promote.

Be aware that there may be restrictions regarding adult material, so do talk to your fellow erotica authors; they'll have lots of advice.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
It is not expensive to make your own site . You will need to register your domain name . Don't take any offers of a free registration . It is better to register it in your name, so you own it. It is actuly free to register a domain name , but you will need to pay a registrar a fee to do it . You will also need to pay someone to host your site . It is possible to host your own site , but it is not worth the effort and expense for a small site . In the UK there are a number of hosting companies that will host a small web site for less than £1 a week . You can use word press to make your site , There is loads of info on the net, explaining how to do it, and it's free
However, there are over a billion sites on the net and unless you enjoy the challenge of setting up and maintaining a web site , it is probable a waste of time .
Good Luck

Last edited:

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
I used "Iwantmyname" to secure my domain name, and BlueHost to actually host my site because they have a WordPress.org integration option, so I could simply load in my WordPress blog and set it up through the domain name. I'm not sure if these were the cheapest options, but I found them recommended on an author blog as simple, no-frills options, and I liked having my WordPress site integrated so easily since I already had the blog. I'm sure that others have some additional domain registration and hosting sites they have used, though! There are a lot of options. :)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Do not register a domain and host the site at the same place.

EvieDriver

Registered
Reaction score
Website
eviedriver.com
I got my domain name and hosting for about $99 for the entire year. The site's lowered their prices since then, so this year it will be closer to about $68. I consider this budget friendly if you save your money for a little while. It averaged under $6 per month with free domain registration. I use Siteground.com. they offer a cheaper plan, but I needed the option for multiple websites/domains.

Just a thought.

Otherwise, stick with Wordpress.com and just register a domain name for under $20. IDK the actual price. Good luck!

Last edited: