How to Resume/Restart a Blog...

Dorian Graves

Deadly and Drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doriangraves.com
A few years ago, when I first started sending my work out to publishers and was still in college, I made a blogspot site, complete with a blog and information on my writing--even some fun extras, like a small gallery of my own art. I kept up posting for a year or two, but wasn't able to keep it up once I returned to the dial-up internet of my hometown, so my blog sat and collected dust.

Fast forward to now: I'm pitching my first book to agents, I'm pitching and doing most of my social media stuff through Twitter, and I'm holding down a full-time job as well as writing more books and short stories. Even though I now have internet, I've yet to pick back up on the blogging, and think I should save it for when I have more time so it doesn't cut into what precious time I have for my fiction writing.

I recognize that I should at least have a website to at least introduce myself and show where to find my stories, especially now that I'm presenting myself and my work to agents. I would also like to resume blogging eventually, but I want to change focus in my primary blogging topics (focusing on character development, both from a writing and a concept art standpoint--which includes extra work because I need to actually sit down and create said art). However, the old blogspot site is...rather outdated, to say the least, and also has a number of old blog posts on it.

If I were to update my blogspot account, is it better to keep the old blog posts on there, or to delete them, post a general introduction on the homepage of my site instead, and then start my blogging anew when I'm ready for that? Or would it be better to perhaps make a new website, and since my blogspot has been mentioned in the author notes of a few short stories, just set that to redirect to this hypothetical new site?

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Secure your name as a domain now, before you do anything else. Get DorianGraves.com or .net, or add writer to the end if you have to.

Blogging should be considered part of your writing business. Even if you're just doing a post every couple of weeks, you should get something out. Maybe write 2-3 posts in one week, and slip them out over time. It's easy to schedule posts in any major blogging platform. Consider blogging now as part of your pre-marketing work.

If there's good content over at the other blog, I'd leave it there, and put a static post at the top saying that you're no longer updating it, and direct folks to your new domain.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
It depends upon several factors whether to start anew or ramp up an old site.

Was it on WordPress.com? If not, I'd suggest starting anew. Currently WP.com is the most flexible in its look and features. It allows you to better tailor a site to your unique needs, to establish your writing as a brand. (Blogger is probably closest to WP.com to evolving in the flexibility arena but still has far to go.)

Consider blogging now as part of your pre-marketing work.

Can you shift focus to blog posts that further your writing career? Unless you are so witty that no matter what you write is fascinating, avoid personal chit-chat and screeds about writing. Focus instead on whatever engages you almost daily, especially that which infuses your writing. Every week you likely will find something that you would like to share with your potential readers, who will likely share some of your same interests. And so most likely to enjoy your books.

Once a week is about the right balance between too many and too few posts, the first flooding your site followers with posts, the second having them forget you.

Keep your posts short. Your fans likely have dozens of competing interests. Spend the few words they allow you to focus on the most interesting elements of what you write about.

Easiest to post about is new events, especially new books, TV shows, movies, concerts and conventions, and the like.

Always include an image or video at the end of your SHORT post. WP.com makes this easy to do, though you should be sure the source permits the particular image or video to be reposted. Book publishers and movie studios generally like you to use their content when it redirects your readers to them. You become in effect partners in advertising their content.

As always, writing your works is your main job. Writing for your blog/site should take as little time away from your main job as possible. That's no reason it can't also be fun rather than a chore if you follow the guidelines I suggested.