Genre question: Fantasy can be without magic, right?

remister

Registered
Reaction score
Admin, not sure where to post this.

An agent (who is lovely and oh so kind) wondered why I labelled my ms MG Fantasy when there's no magic thingies in it. I've always thought fantasy can be without magic, but now I'm wondering if I've been unknowingly misleading agents. Mine has made-up location, made-up religion etc. It's set in a time with old technology, but definitely not rooted in any real historical events. I reckon it's something like The Queen's Thief (MWT) in terms of degree of made-believe world (even though The Queen's Thief has a magus, I don't recall there being any magic).

Mine's counted as fantasy... Yes? No?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
There is a thing called Low Fantasy which is typically secondary world, somewhat primitive but has no magic in it. However, if you have some kind of tech (even low grade) you might actually be writing SF. It's hard to say without knowing more about the tech and what the speculative element is. (Since SF and Fantasy do speculate "what if?" even if they don't have space ships or wizards, respectively.)

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Your book is fantasy if it is the sort of book that fantasy readers will enjoy.

And there are lots of books with no or little magic in them that are definitely fantasy. K.J. Parker's books and Ellen Kushner's Swordspoint novels, for example, have no magic. Guy Gavriel Kay's books usually have very, very little.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
It might be magical realism?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If it's completely set in a secondary world, with or without magic it would definitely be fantasy. There are plenty of non-magical precedents in the genre.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
It does qualify as fantasy, but I think the agent's concern is figuring out the target audience. In my experience, middle grade fantasy readers tend to like their fantasy with magic. Fantasy without magic might be a tougher sell for that audience.

Last edited:

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
It might be the agent's problem with how to best market it, but it's best to not get too hung up on genre labels. A fictional pre-industrial world meets every relevant criteria for fantasy, magic or no.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
It might be magical realism?

Magical realism is a bit different. As I understand it, it's a genre (or subgenre) that takes place in the real world, either in a historical or contemporary setting, and incorporates the real world magical traditions and supernatural world view of a particular culture or belief system in a realistic, accurate way. It also tends to be written in a style that is considered more literary than traditional genre fantasy.

There are secondary and alternative world fantasy novels that have little to no magic. Someone already mentioned Kushner's books. Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel books (a sort of alternative history setting) also have little magic as such, though the influence and real-world presence of gods is strongly implied, and there is prophesying, and references to immortals with special powers, and so on.

Note that these are adult novels, so it might be different for fantasy that's aimed at kids. But there have been successful kids books that are pretty fantastical in some ways that aren't usually shelved or classified as fantasy either, such as Joan Aiken's or Roald Dahl's works.

Last edited:

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
It might be the agent's problem with how to best market it, but it's best to not get too hung up on genre labels. A fictional pre-industrial world meets every relevant criteria for fantasy, magic or no.

And it can work. Though I haven't read it, I've heard that there is no magic in The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen. It's on that borderline between middle grade and young adult, but it might be worth checking out for a comparison title. It seems like it's done quite well.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
See Mervyn Peake, The Gormenghast Trilogy, one of the classic cornerstones of Fantasy fiction. Peake was a fried of both Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, and definitely worth a look for anybody aspiring to write Fantasy. Or Lord Dunsany, even earlier, and an enormous influence on all three of the above-mentioned, as well as Lovecraft.

caw

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Yes, many fantasies have no magic.

Baru Cormorant has none, I believe. Unless I'm badly misremembering. it's classed as high fantasy still.

I like fantasy without magic. So often the magic systems dominate and can detract from the story (unless they are used to further the story, which Le Guin feels they should do--highly subjective).

Sirion

Registered
Reaction score
No magic at all? My instinct says it's not fantasy, but even books with no magic can "read" as fantasy.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Fantasy can have other things, that's not just magic.

Like in a secondary world with dragons or unicorns with swords and ancient artifacts from the gods, etc. Stuff you wouldn't find here, that's for sure. You'll be fine!

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
No magic at all? My instinct says it's not fantasy, but even books with no magic can "read" as fantasy.

The word "magic" never appears in my MS. It has a little supernatural, scifi-ish stuff, but no magic. It's still fantasy (my betas have even suggested it is high fantasy).

Wings of a Falcon is a brilliant, completely magic-free YA fantasy.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
So... The real question, to me, is what kind of agent worth their salt doesn't know about the low/no magic fantasy realms, like classics such as Gormenghast and Swordspoint?

AndrewF.

Registered
Reaction score
This is similar to my novel. It's a fantasy with no magic. It takes place on a recently discovered island colony. It's set in a alternative history type of setting only the island is inhabited by Orcs who are rebelling against Britannica's iron fisted rule. I still consider mine a fantasy despite the lack of magic.