Short Stories Turned Into Books?

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed that some books, like Fahrenheit 451 and others, either began as short stories or had parts of them published in magazines. While I understand that every book has to stand on merit, what would be a modern agent's reaction if a query letter mentioned this? Let's assume the contract with a reputable magazine expired, the rights revert back to the author, and he/she expands it into a book. Would previous publication help or hinder?

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
No idea - my first novel (Drake) started life as a short story and turned into a novel that I sold direct to a publisher. I don't think I ever even mentioned it at the time (obviously I had the rights).

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
As long as you have the rights it should be a non-issue. Novels are so much longer and more complex than short stories that it's really hard to make a comparison between the original and the expanded project.

Now, if the short story were really well received or won awards or something you would likely want to mention that to an agent, but I'm not sure it would be something you should feel compelled to mention otherwise.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
As long as you have the rights it should be a non-issue. Novels are so much longer and more complex than short stories that it's really hard to make a comparison between the original and the expanded project.

Now, if the short story were really well received or won awards or something you would likely want to mention that to an agent, but I'm not sure it would be something you should feel compelled to mention otherwise.

Of course. Rights aside, I'm thinking if it were published in a very well-known magazine like Analog or Clarkesworld, something that has produced award-winning stuff before.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
You are not obligated to tell an agent how your book came to be. You have only a very few words in your query to sell them on the basic premise of WHAT you created. Best to use all your few seconds with the agent on that rather than HOW you created it.