Question for the Forum (I Had this in the Wrong Place)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine vary. Older characters are not happy to be who they are more often than younger characters, and acceptance is sometimes a plot element for such characters.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The characters in my project are lesbians ~1950, and given the prevailing norms of their time, they have varying levels of comfort with and acceptance of their proclivities. Between the four main characters and a handful of secondary characters, they span a range from devil-may-care free-spirit, to sexually confident but pragmatically closeted, to religiously anxious, to complete denial.

For instance, one of my main characters is sexually confident and absolutely sure that her lesbianism is right for her, when she is with a woman. But she also carries a burden of constant awareness of it as a thing separate from herself, of the need to be cautious and keep up a front in polite society (she dates men for cover), of bitterness and occasional self-loathing about it. She sometimes allows herself to wonder whether the prevailing psychiatric theories are true, whether she might actually be psychologically damaged or sick. She has been in analysis for her lesbianism but found that she did not want to be cured of it. So, she loves sex, has a strong sexual appetite (one of her friends calls her "a red-blooded American pervert"), but is nevertheless conflicted about what all of that really says about her.

Another of my main characters is married to a man to whom she has never been sexually attracted, but she is not an introspective person and tends to bin off uncomfortable thoughts and will them out of her mind; so she has steadfastly refused to consider the reasons for her frigidity. She meets a girl to whom she becomes powerfully attracted, and rationalizes those feelings away too, right up until the girl takes her to bed. Even after that, even while they are carrying on a very passionate affair, she insists "I'm not like you," constructing in her mind some kind of rationalized distinction between herself and her lover, who has been aware of her attraction to girls and women her whole life.

ETA: I should probably add that it's not an erotica project (though there's sex in the story); I usually choose posts to read from the "New Posts" button and don't always pay enough attention to what section of the forum I'm in. :eek:

Last edited:

DamienLoveshaft

Fudanshi
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.damienloveshaft.com
Hmmm, Interesting. I'm currently working with mid to late 1800's men of wealth. They're all outwardly against sex, but the MC family men are definitely conflicted on that inside. They're New Orlean's Catholics so the struggle with their wants and their religious beliefs. Needless to say they're gigantic man sluts and oft default to denial they're doing anything wrong.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
Hmmm, Interesting. I'm currently working with mid to late 1800's men of wealth. They're all outwardly against sex, but the MC family men are definitely conflicted on that inside. They're New Orlean's Catholics so the struggle with their wants and their religious beliefs. Needless to say they're gigantic man sluts and oft default to denial they're doing anything wrong.

Reminds me of the project "How Sex Changed History".

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Super duper sex positive!

But I write escapist fantasies set in worlds of sorcery and magic and swords and places where everyone is hot and no one wears underwear, so...

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
1. The historical: sexual desire is muted for the quasi inspirational genre, but not prudish.
2. The crime thriller: MC is a lady's man.
3. My autobiography: Growing up, my Barbie and Ken went at it like rabbits. Literally. Of course, it was all in my hands.

loggerhead

Registered
Reaction score
My characters and stories are all very sex positive. Optimism and happiness are important to me, and sometimes tenuous in this crazy world we live in. The last thing I want to do is spend precious time writing stories that don't make me happy. It may sound pretentious to say this, but I enjoy bringing a little joy into the world.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
My characters and stories are all very sex positive. Optimism and happiness are important to me, and sometimes tenuous in this crazy world we live in. The last thing I want to do is spend precious time writing stories that don't make me happy. It may sound pretentious to say this, but I enjoy bringing a little joy into the world.

That sounds quite zen.

Sara Raynott

Registered
Reaction score
I've only recently heard the term sex positive.

I've found myself writing (lately) about women who are unsure of new sexual experiences until they get to experience them. They are totally comfortable in the moment and afterwards. So, I'd say that is sex positive.

Markiemoo

Not Throwing Away My Shot
Registered
Reaction score
So far all of my characters have been sex-positive, except for one. The mother of the group is very repressed but trying to deal with all the changes in order to not lose her family