Unique excuse for a rejection

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like agents sometimes place the blame on themselves to, you know, be courteous and spare us querying writers our feelings.....And they may think, welp, we're gonna let writers down easy with the literary version of "It's not you, it's me".

I think that this is probably the truth in the end.

Even if, say, the book is a romance and the editor doesn't take romance or read romance?

No, absolutely not, and I should have mentioned this. I wouldn't expect an agent to step so far out of their range. I don't expect someone who specializes in horror to pitch romance.

My agent isn't a saleswoman; she's an agent. She doesn't rep sci-fi and she would do a disservice to an author if she took on his sci-fi to sell, for several reasons:

And I wouldn't expect someone who specializes in romance to pitch sci-fi.

I'm not sure why you think this is a weakness.

I don't--unless it gets used on a form letter. And then it might conceivably sound like a weakness. If something appears on a form letter, then it gets sent out to hundreds or thousands of people a year. So this agent is telling thousands of people a year that she can't market their book. I wouldn't call that bragging.

You are still taking it way too literally and reading way too much into it.

Just askin', bro. Just askin'.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The agent isn't saying she doesn't know how to pitch a book to the editor at Knopf. She's saying she doesn't know how to pitch your book well enough in order to sell it.

But that's the same thing. A pro should be able to pitch any book to the editor at Knopf. Because that's what they do. They're salespeople. And a good salesperson can come up with a way to pitch anything. Even my book.

No, it isn't the same thing at all.

The agent doesn't know how to pitch your book to the editors at Knopf, or anywhere else, because your book isn't something she thinks she can sell. Sure, she could pitch it, and get them to read it: but if it's not right for her, or if it's just not right, it will not sell.

This is no reflection on an agent's skill. It is, however, a clear indication that either your book is outside the genres in which she works, or it is (in her opinion) not saleable.

Why would an agent want to work on a book she dislikes? Agents have huge numbers of submissions to choose from. They choose the books they like. Why would they do anything else?

If the agent doesn't care for the book, I'd rather they just said so.

But as has already been discussed (I think), agents are reluctant to tell writers flat out that they don't like their books, because doing so often results in offended writers kicking back.

It's not admitting to or revealing any weakness on her part.

Well, not intentionally.

No, it isn't at all.

Dude, she's just not that into you. That form letter is the agent equivalent of "it's not you, it's me"-- an attempt to soften the blow of rejection by shifting part of the blame to herself. You are still taking it way too literally and reading way too much into it.

Yep.

If something appears on a form letter, then it gets sent out to hundreds or thousands of people a year. So this agent is telling thousands of people a year that she can't market their book.

And there you go again.

There's no point trying to make this perfectly ordinary, perfectly reasonable form letter mean more than it does. All it means is that the agent isn't interested in your book. It's no judgement on her. None at all. Move on.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
It's just a form. Unless the rejection mentions a plot element or character directly from your book and talks about why that isn't working for the agent, I recommend reading it as "Blah blah blah no thanks" and filing it away or deleting it. Then go have yourself a cookie or a long walk or send a revenge query. It will just make you crazy to try and decode a form.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for allowing me to consider your work. I wish I could send encouraging word as to the marketing prospects for (title of book) through this agency. Regretfully, I just don’t feel confident in my ability to place this work with a publisher in this competitive market. Of course this is just one opinion in a dependably subjective business. Another reader may see immediate possibilities. Please accept my best wishes for success with your writing.

• This is a form rejection.
  • The agent in question can't sell your book.
  • An agent's market is not book stores or readers; it's editors and publishers, and the agent doesn't think they will buy your book.
  • And there's not a thing wrong with an agent saying that, at all.

Set this book aside for a while and write something else. After a rest, maybe come back to this book and read it with new eyes.

If it was a matter of a really good book that the agent can't place with a publisher the agent works with, the agent wouldn't send a form rejection

It doesn't say I love your book but this isn't the right time, or anything else that suggests that this isn't a form rejection from an agent trying to be kind.

Set this book aside for a while and write something else.

After a rest, maybe come back to this book and read it with new eyes.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Regretfully, I just don’t feel confident in my ability to place this work with a publisher in this competitive market.

Could mean:

"This book could be brilliant, but I don't love this idea/voice/writing style/main character enough that I could go to bat for it."

Or it could mean:

"This seems like a decent idea and writing, but it's not a genre I deal with, so I wouldn't have the first clue about who to send it to."

Or it could mean:

"This seems like a decent idea and writing, but I know that the editors I have relationships with aren't looking for something like this right now. Maybe another agent knows editors who are looking for this, maybe not."

Or it could mean:

"I've seen about 20 books this week that were identical to this one. If I have, so have the editors. This book won't stand out enough to place it."

Or it could mean:

"Man, this book is dreck, and there is no way I could ever get an editor on board."

I think jumping to the conclusion that the agent can't do her job from a form rejection is a stretch, considering that there are many possible situations that sentence could be covering.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I don't follow the logic of an agent being able to sell any book to any acquisitions editor. What if they pitch a book that's not right (for whatever reason)? The editor isn't going to trust the judgement of that agent, and that will affect all current and prospective authors in her stable.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I think that this is probably the truth in the end.

No, absolutely not, and I should have mentioned this. I wouldn't expect an agent to step so far out of their range. I don't expect someone who specializes in horror to pitch romance.

And I wouldn't expect someone who specializes in romance to pitch sci-fi.

How does that tally with your assertion than agent should be able to pitch anything?

If you have to tie yourself in knots to defend a position, it's probably best to admit to yourself it's a weak position that you should reconsider.

divine-intestine

Hardened drinker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But that's the same thing. A pro should be able to pitch any book to the editor at Knopf. Because that's what they do. They're salespeople. And a good salesperson can come up with a way to pitch anything. Even my book.

There's no point trying to sell something they don't believe will bring in any money. They're not doing this for your benefit.