Help me decode this rejection: form rejection?

Rilester

Registered
Reaction score
I've been querying for almost a month or so, and I'm happy to say that I've had one request for a full and one request for partial. But I'm starting to believe those positive nibbles have arrived ONLY because I wrote a good query letter, and that maybe my MS actually sucks. The evidence to date: both positive requests have come to me through query-letter-only agents.

Today, a quick and kind e-ject landed in my inbox (two actually, but one was clearly a form), reigniting my paranoia. Here's the heart of the matter:

"I loved the pitch; you have a lot of great and fresh ideas. But I'm afraid I wasn't as drawn into the story as I'd hoped."

That sounds to me like the agent was initially hooked and then read my MS and barfed a little, right??

This is my second go-round on an agent search, and maybe last time I had less time available for paranoid speculations. This time, I'm walking around with black circles under my eyes, twitching a little, hitting "refresh" on the email 18 hours a day and bursting into tears when people ask me probing questions, like, "What time is it?"

Every rejection brings you closer to your goal, right? But what if my "goal" is gray cubicle life? *faceplants on keyboard*

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
That's a form letter. Don't read anything into it.

Basically, unless they're giving you specifics from your story, such as characters or plot points, assume it's a form and move on.

Rilester

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. That helps me feel a lot better. Because hey, maybe my query DOES stink then, but my MS might not. :) It's hard to quit the mind games and stay focused.

Another rejection from today came from an agent who just posted a #MSWL that could have described my MS. Heaving big sighs over what might have been.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a form - what agent would craft a form saying she "loved" any aspect of it? I'd say she really did think the pitch was great.

But the second part about being "drawn in" is too vague to be of any use. I'd take the positive and not let this R confirm your worry that the MS isn't good.

Have you considered posting the first few pages in SYW?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
But I'm afraid I wasn't as drawn into the story as I'd hoped

This to me reads as a form. I've had it worded "great premise" and things like that, but when they say wasn't drawn in, it's a classic phrase of a form.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
"A lot of great and fresh ideas," seems to be the a definite indicator of the form letter. Was this the agent that requested the partial, or the one that asked for the full?

It is quite possible that you do have an amazing story idea, and that is clearly transmitted in your query letter, but the MS itself needs more polishing. C'est la vie. What kind of external review have you done with it? Beta readers, long suffering friends? ;)

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a form - what agent would craft a form saying she "loved" any aspect of it? I'd say she really did think the pitch was great.

But the second part about being "drawn in" is too vague to be of any use. I'd take the positive and not let this R confirm your worry that the MS isn't good.

Have you considered posting the first few pages in SYW?

I've gotten a similar form from an agent who has first-round readers. If you don't make it past the readers, the form is worded differently. But if you make it past the readers to her desk, her form says something about the writing and concept being good, but she has to be selective, blah blah.

So it's possible that in this instance, the agent has different tiers of form rejections as well.

gjdevlin

Registered
Reaction score
It's just a rejection and that's that. I've got two similar wording ones and I created a folder to study the ratio of ructions to request as a measuring point. I tend to dismiss rejections and mark it in my spread sheet with comments. If an agent rejects me for weird reasons I mark the agent as a 'dumbass'

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

Unless the rejection letter says ANYTHING specific about the submitted piece, it should be regarded as a form rejection. Many, probably most, agencies now fire off form rejections which camouflage their genericness in language that "seems" personal, but isn't really.

caw

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Jen may have it - this might be a form that goes out to people whose query got their interest but the MS didn't. I can't agree that this rejection is going out to everybody.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's a form rejection.