Sea Lions Are So Cute!

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
This video made me laugh, a lot, especially since no one ended up getting hurt.

Three things:

Some people believe that huge carnivorous mammals in the wild are really just giant puppies.

Some people just aren't very bright.

If it weren't for Trump, we'd have the time and energy to post more of these things. It is a current event, after all.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rYoSPjlQvtg

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want that guy in the dark shirt to like follow me around forever. What an amazing vid. (Also- what does someone have to do to get a thank-you?)

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
DO NOT FEED THE SEA LIONS:
They do not know you mean to be condescending,
but they do know when your offspring is farther than arm's length.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that video posted under some headline meant to be terrifying, like 'Terrifying Moment Sea Lion Drags Girl Underwater' or something, and just laughed at the video* -- it's cute! It's not like it was a crocodile going for a roll with its dinner. I mean I'm sure a sea lion could probably kill or drown a kid if it wanted to, but what about presuming good intentions? I think he was just like 'hey, c'mere!'

Fairly certain 10 seconds after I post this someone will post some story about a sea lion eating someone or dragging their family members into the drink and consuming them one by one, but c'mon! Cute!

*Not like I laugh at videos of zoo and circus animals stomping on and eating trainers and crowds. Those are schadenfreude hilarious. I wasn't hoping the girl would be harmed; she was just sitting on the dock. I mean laughed like it looked like the sea lion was just being playful, not attempting to be injurious.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Jeez, how clueless can some parents get? Wild animals aren't for petting.

And nary a thank you to the guy who rescued her. [just noticed that McCardey noticed the same thing]

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jeez, how clueless can some parents get? Wild animals aren't for petting.

And nary a thank you to the guy who rescued her. [just noticed that McCardey noticed the same thing]

They should have offered to replace his sunglasses (you see them floating) and anything else the water might ruin.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If something is called 'anything-lion' take your child's hand and walk quietly away. Do NOT wave your hands over the animal's head and allow your children to turn their backs on the animal. They're seafood eaters, so probably not hunting for children on shore, but I imagine the leaping and biting was because of a mistaken impression that the flash of white was a fish, than a playful gesture. They're 6-8 feet long, so even a playful gesture could go badly wrong.
(The incident took place in Richmond, B.C., the old fishing village of Steveston, where you can get a 'sea lion watching tour', as they pull out on the nearby rocks. Surprising that there weren't signs saying 'Don't mess with the sea-lions.)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
There are actually signs posted all along the pier (ABC news)...large block letters, and stuff.
People there clearly feed the sea lions, despite the signs, and the animals quickly learn to associate people with treats. It was coming up to be fed. Probably mistook the girls dress for something edible and leapt up and grabbed it.

Those guys are big.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(The incident took place in Richmond, B.C., the old fishing village of Steveston, where you can get a 'sea lion watching tour', as they pull out on the nearby rocks. Surprising that there weren't signs saying 'Don't mess with the sea-lions.)

There are actually signs posted all along the pier (ABC news)...large block letters, and stuff.

I wonder if the signs are only in English though - and perhaps less helpful for that? There was a very sensible push at some tourist-popular places down here a few years ago, to put signs up in the languages of the tourists as well. Of course,t met with the usual hysteria from the usual suspects who seemed to view the mere fact of other languages as some kind of existential threat.

ETA: Whoa! Just looked up the language stats for BC. It probably wasn't an issue - I'd imagine the signage is broad and multi-lingual :)

Last edited:

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
People there clearly feed the sea lions, despite the signs, and the animals quickly learn to associate people with treats. It was coming up to be fed. Probably mistook the girls dress for something edible and leapt up and grabbed it.

Those guys are big.

Well, yeah.

An animal moving like that is not playful in intent.

I'm guessing he (luckily) only grabbed frock, which is not bloody-tasty, and was disinclined to fight over something that wasn't food after all. He could have easily dragged her underwater until she drowned. Northern sea lions have been seen preying on seal pups.

I wonder if the signs are only in English though - and perhaps less helpful for that? There was a very sensible push at some tourist-popular places down here a few years ago, to put signs up in the languages of the tourists as well. Of course,t met with the usual hysteria from the usual suspects who seemed to view the mere fact of other languages as some kind of existential threat.

Trust you to be all common-sensible.

:greenie

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Languages used in that video:

English
Cantonese
Putonghua

Conversation in Chinese:
Guy was on the phone talking about business, but put his phone away.

After the incident, Chinese again:
Girl called out to him, approximately "Dad", I believe it was; wasn't clear.
Guy called out, "Don't be scared!" aka, "You're okay now!"

I think that kinda clears up the "lack" of thank you....

I don't get your point. Other cultures have thank-you words and behaviours. I'd say it was just post-trauma collapse that --> a lack of thanking.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

<<SNIP>>I tried looking for the signs, but haven't any where to start looking. Do you have a link or two I can start with, please?
[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you're asking for here, either. I looked up the stats for languages used in BC. I wikied.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't get your point. Other cultures have thank-you words and behaviours. I'd say it was just post-trauma collapse that --> a lack of thanking.

I've written and deleted my response a dozen times, if not more. Let's just say there's a huge cultural difference when it comes to "thank you" in Chinese vs. Western.

But I agree with the post-trauma collapse reason.

Not sure what you're asking for here, either. I looked up the stats for languages used in BC. I wikied.

That's fine; it is, in fact, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Meh. Parents more than a little scared, not speakers of English, maybe they were too caught up in shock and relief.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Meh. Parents more than a little scared, not speakers of English, maybe they were too caught up in shock and relief.
Yes, that was what I thought.

Snitch, this is interesting:
I've written and deleted my response a dozen times, if not more. Let's just say there's a huge cultural difference when it comes to "thank you" in Chinese vs. Western.
Could you elaborate on it?

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that video posted under some headline meant to be terrifying, like 'Terrifying Moment Sea Lion Drags Girl Underwater' or something, and just laughed at the video*

I wasn't hoping the girl would be harmed; she was just sitting on the dock. I mean laughed like it looked like the sea lion was just being playful, not attempting to be injurious.

Mhmmmm.

*Note to self: Never let corny babysit.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If something is called 'anything-lion' take your child's hand and walk quietly away. Do NOT wave your hands over the animal's head and allow your children to turn their backs on the animal. They're seafood eaters, so probably not hunting for children on shore, but I imagine the leaping and biting was because of a mistaken impression that the flash of white was a fish, than a playful gesture. They're 6-8 feet long, so even a playful gesture could go badly wrong.

Word. They're called sea LIONS. Not sea KITTENS. :e2cat:

Wild animals gonna animal.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Snitch, this is interesting: Could you elaborate on it?

I'm not in quite the right head space at the moment, but will try for a coherent explanation.

In the Chinese nuclear family, these days, the actual words "please" and "thank you" are rarely used by either parent or child. They're all implied in tone, context, and full body language. Among the extended family, it's almost the same; the slight difference depends on how close you are with your family members. Generally, the older generation, do not use "please" or "thank you" at all in family situations.

The philosophy (that holds true even now) is that filial duty mandates that your elders never have to say "please" and "thank you" to the younger generation, because it's the younger generation's duty to look after the older generation, without question (or at least, without quibbling or expecting something so "mundane"). The reason is that the older generation has sacrificed much / all to bring up the younger generation. IIRC, it stems from Confucius.

Even between close friends, where there relationship has developed to such that you're close enough to be considered adopted siblings or part of the extended family on either side, "please" and "thank you" are rarely heard.

But between people who do not have the type of relationship above, "please" and "thank you" are frequently used.

In the case of the video, barring the shock and relief, the girl called out something akin to "Dad!" The tone was terror and wanting her dad there. His response was "Don't be scared; you're okay now!" Wanting her father there -- in the Chinese context -- is saying "thank you": kid was terrified and found comfort in the security and gratefulness in knowing her dad was there.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not in quite the right head space at the moment, but will try for a coherent explanation.

In the Chinese nuclear family, these days, the actual words "please" and "thank you" are rarely used by either parent or child. They're all implied in tone, context, and full body language. Among the extended family, it's almost the same; the slight difference depends on how close you are with your family members. Generally, the older generation, do not use "please" or "thank you" at all in family situations.

The philosophy (that holds true even now) is that filial duty mandates that your elders never have to say "please" and "thank you" to the younger generation, because it's the younger generation's duty to look after the older generation, without question (or at least, without quibbling or expecting something so "mundane"). The reason is that the older generation has sacrificed much / all to bring up the younger generation. IIRC, it stems from Confucius.

Even between close friends, where there relationship has developed to such that you're close enough to be considered adopted siblings or part of the extended family on either side, "please" and "thank you" are rarely heard.

But between people who do not have the type of relationship above, "please" and "thank you" are frequently used.

In the case of the video, barring the shock and relief, the girl called out something akin to "Dad!" The tone was terror and wanting her dad there. His response was "Don't be scared; you're okay now!" Wanting her father there -- in the Chinese context -- is saying "thank you": kid was terrified and found comfort in the security and gratefulness in knowing her dad was there.

That's really interesting. Thank you for that.

ETA: I didn't mean to suggest that the child was being rude. More that the guy in the dark shirt (was he her father?) was being wildly heroic.

I'm sorry if I was clumsy with that.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Embarrassed to note that I didn't notice anyone's ethnicity (too busy watching the action). Lot of Asian-descended people in the Lower Mainland, and especially around Steveston, which has historically had a large Japanese-Canadian population, working as fishermen, or in the canneries (I used to work in the library across from a cannery). Between that and tourists on the weekend, I didn't really notice anything unusual.
*Except for the sea-lion, rising out of the water.

Everyone was lucky that guy was there, and moved fast - the sealion only 'grabbed frock', in SWest's catchy phrase, but if she was in the water longer, her thrashing limbs might have attracted more attention, and another test-bite.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
That's really interesting. Thank you for that.

ETA: I didn't mean to suggest that the child was being rude. More that the guy in the dark shirt (was he her father?) was being wildly heroic.

I'm sorry if I was clumsy with that.

I reacted too fast; my bad call. I'm sorry.

You're right: very heroic.

As far as I could tell, he was her father. But I could be wrong there; vid's audio recording wasn't clear enough for me to be sure.

Everyone was lucky that guy was there, and moved fast

Indeed. Very fast reactions.

I'm glad it turned out okay, but am also hopeful those who saw that day learned their lesson.

Last edited: