Anne with an "E"

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
A Netflix series with 7 episodes now available, in this season covering the content in roughly the first half of L. M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables. It has admittedly been a very long time since I read these novels, but much of the material was familiar.

I've read criticism and praise. Much of the criticism points to the darkness incorporated into the series, but I loved this element. I found the portrayals of this character poignant and heart wrenching, but wonderfully done. The actors playing Matthew, Marilla, and Anne are outstanding.

Grab a box of tissues and give this series a try, especially if you loved the novels. Cheers.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Anne of Green Gables was of my favorite series of books as a teen, as when I was 9 and 10 I had a friend very like Anne. We were as close as two souls can be, big-for-my age boy, and tiny fierce girl who was always getting us into trouble. I missed her like crazy when her family moved away.

One thing which impressed me about this Netflix version was the incredibly effective photography of this series, lyrically beautiful most of the time, noir dreary when it had to be.

Last edited:

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed this show! Although, I had a hard time with the first episode, mainly because I've seen the old miniseries so many times, I kept anticipating events. Sometimes scenes would play out the same as I remembered, but other times, something different would happen, so it kept me on edge. It was also a bit dark, because of the PTSD scenes. I appreciated them, because it's totally realistic given the circumstances Anne lived in, but they were difficult, so I had to pause several times and come back later. Once I got past the first episode, I was fine . . .

* SPOILER ALERT *

At least until the end, when I kept anticipating Matthew's death. I couldn't remember when it happened in the books, but I was fairly sure it was early on. It was traumatizing in the miniseries and I didn't want to have to deal with it again, so I kept putting off watching the final few episodes. I was glad when it didn't happen, although I know he has to die sooner or later.

I especially liked that they had Marilla and Matthew officially adopt Anne, giving her their last name and writing her into the family Bible. It was a nice touch. I'm not sure if it's in the books or not, I haven't read them in 30 years or so, but in the miniseries, they just sort of . . . kept her.

* END SPOILER ALERT *

By the way, did anyone notice Marilla's cameo in the first episode? (I don't know the name of the actress, but she played Marilla in the original miniseries.) It's near the beginning of the episode, I think, when Matthew goes to the train station. Two women walk by and one of them was the original Marilla! I actually had to pause it to double-check, because I wasn't expecting to see her. I wonder if they're planning any other cameos?

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I just finished this season and generally enjoyed it. They left in something of a cliffhanger, which I didn't love.

It has been a long time since I read Anne of Green Gables, but there are a lot of incidents I don't recall and/or that were embellished. I don't recall Anne running off to the mainland, for instance, or reading anything much about Gilbert's dad. I was perfectly okay with the changes, not having a strong sentimental attachment to the original. I really enjoyed the references to Jane Eyre because I love Jane Eyre and it's apropos: a spunky orphan learning to get by in the world. All the episode titles are JE quotes.

The acting is good throughout, though I think the lady playing Marilla is a standout.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
I loved this series as a kid. I pretty much *was* Anne (it's even my middle name--with an e, of course), minus the red hair, which I wished for fiercely. I've read them many times and saw the previous mini-series a long time ago. I started this one and I've watched the first 2 episodes. I do plan to finish, but so far I am not super into it. I don't mind the darkness, really, although I think it's a touch heavy-handed at times, but Anne is just so freaking annoying. Not sure if it's the writing or the actress or just the plain fact that I'm not really a kid person, but it definitely makes me reluctant to watch more.

Now if only we could get an Emily of New Moon series!

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
I especially liked that they had Marilla and Matthew officially adopt Anne, giving her their last name and writing her into the family Bible. It was a nice touch. I'm not sure if it's in the books or not, I haven't read them in 30 years or so, but in the miniseries, they just sort of . . . kept her.

99% percent certain that doesn't happen in the book, which I've read dozens of times. (Fun fact: I also played Josie Pye in our middle school play). She's known as Anne Shirley throughout the series, not Anne Cuthbert. Which actually is kind of odd, now that I think about it. But formal adoption probably wasn't actually that formal back then.