Report on the Lindt Cafe siege in Sydney, 2014

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For 17 long hours in mid-December 2014, a group of otherwise ordinary Sydneysiders were forced to survive on their wits against an armed sociopath claiming to be holding them hostage in the name of Islamic State.
For those trapped inside the Lindt Chocolate Cafe those hours felt like an eternity, as day dragged into night and their initial hopes of an early rescue faded.

Not to be clickbaity about this, but it really does show people at their best.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Brave souls.

I do wonder about what details the report will show, or will be allowed to reveal to the public.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Very brave people, and no less than I would expect from Australians. From teen-age wait-staff to 'sprightly but elderly' customers, heroes all.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think one of the things I was most impressed by on the day was the reportage by the young media as things unfolded.
To be frightened and upset in a situation like this is normal. It is natural for a scared and agitated mind to take leaps of imagination that, when echoed and reflected by many other voices, can come to seem like the truth. That is why, right now, it is more important than ever to stick to the facts: to check and double-check every claim and assertion before liking, retweeting, commenting, endorsing, criticising or otherwise amplifying it.

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
Heroic and compassionate in an impossible situation. And yes, at times like this reliable media reports and updates are crucial. I was waiting for news of a friend caught up in an attack at Ataturk airport in Istanbul last June and fake images of 'explosions' were posted on Twitter, as happened with the attacks on Brussels airport. I feel ill just thinking about it.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Heroic and compassionate in an impossible situation. And yes, at times like this reliable media reports and updates are crucial. I was waiting for news of a friend caught up in an attack at Ataturk airport in Istanbul last June and fake images of 'explosions' were posted on Twitter, as happened with the attacks on Brussels airport. I feel ill just thinking about it.

O,o I hope your friend was okay???

And fake images.... wow, what jerks. Yes, I understand they want to highlight the horrors, etc., but, really? NOT a situation to exploit! :angry: