• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Enthusiastic Newbie seeking fellow newbie writing buddy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaHs

Registered
Reaction score
I joined this website specifically so that I could find a writing buddy or two... so I guess that's one of the first things I should do!

I'm looking for a writing buddy. Unfortunately my 'IRL friends' aren't writers and don't really read the types of books that interest me, so I find there's writing-centric conversation missing from my life. I've been trying to fill the void with youtube videos and blog posts made by writers but unfortunately that one-way dialogue isn't cutting it for me. I need more, more, more! My WIP is only in its first draft and not really in a position to be shared (which is my polite way of saying: damn first drafts suck sometimes!) - though I would eventually like to share it and get other opinions on it. What I'm really looking for RIGHT NOW in a writing buddy is just someone to talk to about the story, to bounce ideas off and ask opinions on this/that or the other, and generally just someone to share writing with. Just having someone to talk to about writing who understands all of the crazy thoughts and processes in my mind right now would be incredibly helpful, and hopefully would serve as extra motivation, too!

About my current WIP: So far I'm seventeen days into writing the novel I've been daydreaming about for the past year and a half and, to my joy, I'm 30k words in. It's a fantasy set on a continent with twelve provinces, each of which has its own royal family. The story follows one of these royal families after the heir to the throne is killed and the least likely sister is chosen to take her place. The story features a lot of death and violence, dark magic and civil war. It's an ambitious project but I'm wholeheartedly in love with it and taking it very seriously - this is something I really want to work hard on.

So what am I looking for? Someone to talk to about writing, share thoughts on our WIP'es and help each other out with things we get stuck on. Someone who is similarly interested in young adult/new adult fantasy, urban fantasy, things within that range. It would be great to talk to someone who's also in the process of writing something in its early stages, or just someone who like me has been sitting on an idea for years and only just gotten around to actually doing it.

I'm a newbie on these boards so if I haven't included the right sort of information here, do give me a tip on that so I can amend it!

Drop a comment here or PM me if you're interested in exchanging a few chats. Tell me about your WIP/whatever you've been working on!

Thanks for reading and best of luck to the projects you're working on!
REC

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A pleasure to meet you, Rebecca. I'm not a newbie--oldbie?--but there are many around and I will cross my fingers that you and one or more of them find one another a great fit.

Can I make a suggestion while I have your attention? I'm just barely able to read your message without enlarging the display of the whole site. I bet lots of our older or visually impaired users can't at all. It'd be great if you could enlarge the font to match the AW default. I know it's easier to compose offline and paste, if that's what you did, but it doesn't show as large as it did on your computer.

If you need how-to instructions, just holler. I'm around a lot, lately in avoidance of painting. (I get a break now because I backed into a part I'd just finished, backside first. Way to go, Maryn!)

Maryn, who you can call Old Blue Eyes since small fonts are hard for her

HaHs

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Maryn - thanks so much for bringing this to my attention, it wasn't something I'd taken into consideration but will make sure I'm using the default font from now on! Best of luck with your painting. I hope that finished-but-backed-into part can be salvaged!

brewignall

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there! I'm also new, and currently working on writing a novella, and then after that getting back to my current WIP, a YA sci fi novel. I've previously written a YA fantasy novel (although that one will never see the light of day :p) and would love to be your writing buddy, as that's exactly what i also joined this forum for! Although I have family and friends who will listen to me talking about my writing, it's just not the same when they don't have the same passions ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.