• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Betas for Urban Fantasy! 90k words, Open to Swapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I've recently finished some significant revisions to my novel, and I wanted to get opinions on what does/doesn't work. Especially looking for critique on pacing and the characters/their development, and the strength of their point of views, but open to any comments. It's 90k words. :) I most enjoy reading Sci-fi and Fantasy but open to almost any genre. Adult or YA are fine, but no MG, Historic, or Romance please (romantic subplots are fine). [Not currently looking!]

Here's the query, to give an idea of what the book it about:
_____
At seventeen, Linda is finally an orphan. She'll shed no tears for the man who treated her like a mistake. But with him dead, Linda has inherited his enchanted blade and the family duty: keep Users and their vile magic out of the city.

Users feed on human suffering to fuel their sorcery, fracturing their victims’ minds, driving most to suicide. Linda's friends are no strangers to depression and abuse, which makes them appetizing targets. Linda might be a rookie, but if it means safeguarding the ones she loves, she won't hesitate to hunt the enemy down.

Linda tracks the Users’ trail of victims to a rich high-rise and storms in blade first, only to find her closest friend among their ranks. Turns out Users don’t just harvest suffering from the slums. It’s also where they recruit. Even if Linda musters the strength to take her friend’s life, she can’t kill Users faster than they’re replaced. Not by herself.

Damn good thing her father had more than one blade. And more than one daughter.
_____

PM or posting here is fine. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited:

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Once again looking for critique on the first few chapters of my novel. Updated the first post so it's more current, and giving the topic a bump.

Cinnamon

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I am looking for a way to start getting more active in the critiquing forums, so I think I can give this a go =).

I have a steadily good record with beta-ing and critiquing, i.e. I am not snarky and I try to offer as much help as I can. Please PM me if you are interested.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Going to give this a bump. I'm looking again, and now for critique on the entire novel and not just the opening.

zoli1

Registered
Reaction score
I will read it happily. I have YA mystery with mild horror and scifi elements if you are happy to trade.

Metruis

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.feedthemultiverse.com
I'm really interested in your blurb. I don't do a ton of free beta reading anymore (I've done like 1-2 pieces this year), but I just finished my first draft and I'm looking to distract myself with some other people's work over my Christmas vacation before I resume editing. I'm not a total jerkface. I'm more of a "write some comments in an email" kind of person these days, but since you're looking for attention to your pacing and character development I think that would best suit your needs. I will respect or PM the constraints of that request, and write you a critique regarding your pacing and character development, and not pick on your grammar or spelling or anything like that. And I will do my best to offer helpful advice on how to better any problems in those arenas. If I think that those arenas are good, then I will tell you why I think they are good instead of just saying "yep it was good."

Are there any strings? Nah, I'm just kind of interested in your story there and wanna read it. I might bug you about beta reading my novel in the future, but I want to do a significant edit to act three before getting it out to people. I really did just read the blurb and go "huh that sounds neat."

I'm not necessarily super fast but I'll try get it done before the end of the month.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Giving this another bump, since I've finished some more revisions and could use another set of eyes before I start submitting to agents again.

sylvanscribbler

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'd be willing to read for you.
I've been a critique partner & beta reader for a few different emerging novelists now. I'm on the second run-through of my WIP (YA/magical realism) looking for a reader for the first half of the book only. Would you be willing to trade?

BonafideDreamer

Registered
Reaction score
I would be willing to do an author swap. Your story sounds intriguing and the plot sounds like one I can lose myself in. I have a 60,000 word YA story that I need looked over if you're willing to trade critiques.

Beardon

Registered
Reaction score
Your book sounds pretty interesting, and I'm looking to get into swapping. My current MS is a 108k dystopian novel about a small city that was isolated from the effects an attack that knocked the global power grid off line. The inhabitants of the city spend every day waiting to be overtaken by the roving gangs they've heard about, but the gangs never come. The waiting starts to break people, and drama unfolds as people are increasingly willing to see evil around every corner, even when there's nothing there.

It's on the third draft, and I just sent it out to a bunch of friends for beta reads. I'd love to get some eyes on it from people that don't know me so I can get more honest feedback. Let me know if you're still looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.