Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Another Fox pundit bites the dust

practical experience, FTW Twick's Avatar

Another Fox pundit bites the dust

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/19/medi...-story-summary

So, it appears that Fox has been presenting the views of man who couldn't bear to stay in the office with an African-American IT person. How on earth does anyone still treat them as more legitimate than, say, Stormfront?

a racist democrat? say it ain't so...

Thorn Forest: A Gift for AW

PoisonPen.net
    Online Poetry Archive

Not only a racist, but apparently either proud of it, or an idiot.
    "Beckel told one of their clients, a black IT worker, that he was leaving the office while the employee serviced his computer because the employee is black."

Now, why would anyone but an idiot or a really proud racist spell it out like that? Perhaps he thought he was too important, too popular, to be got rid of? If he really couldn't bear to be in the room, "I'll just leave you to it" is neutral and just as effective. Or, just go. Pretty sure the IT guy doesn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by William Haskins View Post
    a racist democrat? say it ain't so...
    It's one of those conundrums. A Democrat, obviously, cannot be a racist. But a member of The Five on Fox cannot be anything but.

Perhaps the tension of these two competing impulses built up pressure in the man until he had no choice but to utter a racist comment. That's the only explanation I can think of.
    Urban Fantasy rules:Play Dead My Website

practical experience, FTW kaylim's Avatar
    To be honest, I think a lot of people think the same as this guy. The only difference is they choose not to say it or otherwise make it obvious. People are so prejudiced. You see someone that is different from you and--depending on how you view the world--you could become scared or threatened or angry. I mean a lot of people who don't know much about the world other than the 9 o clock news will hear anchors talk about criminal actions taken by black people or whatever and you see that so much that it becomes what you associate with people who look like them. It's a form of social control. If people are divided, it's easier to rule.

practical experience, FTW
    Beckel has long been outed as a nitwit, which is why he got hired by Fox in the first place, mesuspects. They wanted that appearance of "fair and balanced", and he was the best they could come up with to represent the left end of the political commentary spectrum. I also suspect he's going to have a hard time getting any similar gig with another network.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by kaylim View Post
    To be honest, I think a lot of people think the same as this guy. The only difference is they choose not to say it or otherwise make it obvious. People are so prejudiced. You see someone that is different from you and--depending on how you view the world--you could become scared or threatened or angry. I mean a lot of people who don't know much about the world other than the 9 o clock news will hear anchors talk about criminal actions taken by black people or whatever and you see that so much that it becomes what you associate with people who look like them. It's a form of social control. If people are divided, it's easier to rule.
    I think this stuff can be partially blamed on humanity's primal instinct to form a group. We evolved to be social creatures. We have a deep need for a group to be a part of, and certain instinctual wariness of those outside of it. When we encounter something/someone we are unfamiliar with, there is that little response of unease that goes off. Dumb, weak people experience this more strongly, and react by going vicious.

I should be writing. Alpha Echo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
    Beckel has long been outed as a nitwit, which is why he got hired by Fox in the first place, mesuspects. They wanted that appearance of "fair and balanced", and he was the best they could come up with to represent the left end of the political commentary spectrum. I also suspect he's going to have a hard time getting any similar gig with another network.

caw
    Yes!

My husband and I occasionally watch FOX News to see what they're saying and to simultaneously piss ourselves off. We literally just had this conversation last week. Beckel just seemed like such an idiot that we decided that's the only reason he was on Fox. They wanted to have their token Democrat, but they made sure he was a dumb one. That way, their viewers could say, "See how dumb Democrats are?"
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
    T.E. Lawrence

The Murdoch sons, now in control of Fox, want to rebrand it and move it left.
    So with 2 (Kelly, O'Reilly,) of their 3 big stars gone (only Hannity remains) their ratings have tanked. Last I heard Fox now trails both CNN and MSNBC in the important evening time slots.
    Gotta wonder how they'll try to fix it.
    "The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government, are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite."
    James Madison, The Federalist No. 45

"Beware the greedy hand of government, thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry."
    Thomas Paine

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Gotta wonder how they'll try to fix it.
    Joe Arpaio.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett