Another Fox pundit bites the dust

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Not only a racist, but apparently either proud of it, or an idiot.
"Beckel told one of their clients, a black IT worker, that he was leaving the office while the employee serviced his computer because the employee is black."

Now, why would anyone but an idiot or a really proud racist spell it out like that? Perhaps he thought he was too important, too popular, to be got rid of? If he really couldn't bear to be in the room, "I'll just leave you to it" is neutral and just as effective. Or, just go. Pretty sure the IT guy doesn't care.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
a racist democrat? say it ain't so...
It's one of those conundrums. A Democrat, obviously, cannot be a racist. But a member of The Five on Fox cannot be anything but.

Perhaps the tension of these two competing impulses built up pressure in the man until he had no choice but to utter a racist comment. That's the only explanation I can think of.

kaylim

Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, I think a lot of people think the same as this guy. The only difference is they choose not to say it or otherwise make it obvious. People are so prejudiced. You see someone that is different from you and--depending on how you view the world--you could become scared or threatened or angry. I mean a lot of people who don't know much about the world other than the 9 o clock news will hear anchors talk about criminal actions taken by black people or whatever and you see that so much that it becomes what you associate with people who look like them. It's a form of social control. If people are divided, it's easier to rule.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Beckel has long been outed as a nitwit, which is why he got hired by Fox in the first place, mesuspects. They wanted that appearance of "fair and balanced", and he was the best they could come up with to represent the left end of the political commentary spectrum. I also suspect he's going to have a hard time getting any similar gig with another network.

caw

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, I think a lot of people think the same as this guy. The only difference is they choose not to say it or otherwise make it obvious. People are so prejudiced. You see someone that is different from you and--depending on how you view the world--you could become scared or threatened or angry. I mean a lot of people who don't know much about the world other than the 9 o clock news will hear anchors talk about criminal actions taken by black people or whatever and you see that so much that it becomes what you associate with people who look like them. It's a form of social control. If people are divided, it's easier to rule.

I think this stuff can be partially blamed on humanity's primal instinct to form a group. We evolved to be social creatures. We have a deep need for a group to be a part of, and certain instinctual wariness of those outside of it. When we encounter something/someone we are unfamiliar with, there is that little response of unease that goes off. Dumb, weak people experience this more strongly, and react by going vicious.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Beckel has long been outed as a nitwit, which is why he got hired by Fox in the first place, mesuspects. They wanted that appearance of "fair and balanced", and he was the best they could come up with to represent the left end of the political commentary spectrum. I also suspect he's going to have a hard time getting any similar gig with another network.

caw

Yes!

My husband and I occasionally watch FOX News to see what they're saying and to simultaneously piss ourselves off. We literally just had this conversation last week. Beckel just seemed like such an idiot that we decided that's the only reason he was on Fox. They wanted to have their token Democrat, but they made sure he was a dumb one. That way, their viewers could say, "See how dumb Democrats are?"

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
The Murdoch sons, now in control of Fox, want to rebrand it and move it left.
So with 2 (Kelly, O'Reilly,) of their 3 big stars gone (only Hannity remains) their ratings have tanked. Last I heard Fox now trails both CNN and MSNBC in the important evening time slots.
Gotta wonder how they'll try to fix it.