AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Hello From a Wannabe

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Hello From a Wannabe

Hallo,

I'm not going to introduce myself by saying that I am writing such and such genre or novel, because I'm not! However, I have had an itch for going on 2 years now and it's getting to the point where I simply need to just start. I spend most of my days fantasizing about imaginary worlds and building them up so that they feel more real in my mind. I, like many others, am paralyzed by a fear of not being able to accurately portray the images in my own mind.

I will say that I am primarily interested in writing epic fantasies and a lot of philosophical pieces. Maybe dabble in some horror. All I know is I am very interested in filling out every single detail that I need to in order to make my stories feel as real as possible.

With that being said, this post serves as the beginning of my pursuit to shake myself out of that paralysis and get writing!

I look forward to spending time with all of you.

Welcome, ShayD I too do a lot of thinking about writing away from the desk. Keep a little notebook with you so you can jot down the good ideas and better recall them later. Good luck

Thanks! I definitely do that. I have made a total mess of the memo application on my phone and I have literal stacks of notebooks so I can leave one everywhere I go. It's a bit of an obsession at this point... but I feel like I never run out of ideas now that I've embraced that even the silliest idea can be turned into something highly amusing.

It's all good.

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
    at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
    Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
    Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
    50 posts. Donít make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
    Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other membersí works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
    Hereís how to Promote With Aplomb.
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

Sit Down, and Shut Up! Lavern08's Avatar
    - Go ahead and get started - You'll be glad you did one day.
    BREAKFAST WITH LAVERN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ui68rmpcw

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Yeah, I know Ted, but Vernie is hawt nice.

Quote Originally Posted by TedTheewen View Post
    Everybody loves Lavern.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    I blurves me some Vernie.

Quote Originally Posted by TedTheewen View Post
    Damn, Haggis...Vernie would be upset, and nobody wants to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mclesh View Post
    I love you, Lavern. That is all.

If this site is helpful to you...

Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Go down road, go pub. Mary Mitchell's Avatar
    Welcome
    It's a simple fact of life that not everyone will be your target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by ShayDRaven View Post
    I spend most of my days fantasizing about imaginary worlds and building them up so that they feel more real in my mind. I, like many others, am paralyzed by a fear of not being able to accurately portray the images in my own mind.

...All I know is I am very interested in filling out every single detail that I need to in order to make my stories feel as real as possible.
    You might not realise it, but you're already writing—or at least, going through one of its stages. There are lots of plotters around here who, like you, try to build up their worlds before committing an actual storyline to paper. Others (like me) are pantsers, and we often discover our worlds just by writing out our first drafts. There's no right or wrong way to do it, but you're already on the path. You've just gotta let your muse off her leash so she can do her stuff once your worldbuilding is complete. Trust your muse. I find mine works best when I give her small quantities of alcohol. Dunno why.

Welcome to AW!

Quote Originally Posted by The Urban Spaceman View Post
    You might not realise it, but you're already writing—or at least, going through one of its stages.
    Thank you very much for saying this. I guess I never looked at it that way and I always wondered what the heck a pantser was. I'm already getting some learning done here, it seems!

I'm not much of a drinker so much anymore, but I do have... other means of stimulating my mind. I do remember writing some really decent essays for college while a bit tipsy though. Good tip! :P

Howdy! -- From another Wannabe.
    Fiction blog as Manuel Royal: Donnetown Today or Recently (or a Long Time Ago)

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby