Hello From a Wannabe

ShayDRaven

Registered
Reaction score
Hallo,

I'm not going to introduce myself by saying that I am writing such and such genre or novel, because I'm not! However, I have had an itch for going on 2 years now and it's getting to the point where I simply need to just start. I spend most of my days fantasizing about imaginary worlds and building them up so that they feel more real in my mind. I, like many others, am paralyzed by a fear of not being able to accurately portray the images in my own mind.

I will say that I am primarily interested in writing epic fantasies and a lot of philosophical pieces. Maybe dabble in some horror. All I know is I am very interested in filling out every single detail that I need to in order to make my stories feel as real as possible.

With that being said, this post serves as the beginning of my pursuit to shake myself out of that paralysis and get writing!

I look forward to spending time with all of you. :)

E. Steve

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, ShayD :banana: I too do a lot of thinking about writing away from the desk. Keep a little notebook with you so you can jot down the good ideas and better recall them later. Good luck

ShayDRaven

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I definitely do that. I have made a total mess of the memo application on my phone and I have literal stacks of notebooks so I can leave one everywhere I go. It's a bit of an obsession at this point... but I feel like I never run out of ideas now that I've embraced that even the silliest idea can be turned into something highly amusing. ;)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: - Go ahead and get started - You'll be glad you did one day. :poke:

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
I spend most of my days fantasizing about imaginary worlds and building them up so that they feel more real in my mind. I, like many others, am paralyzed by a fear of not being able to accurately portray the images in my own mind.

...All I know is I am very interested in filling out every single detail that I need to in order to make my stories feel as real as possible.

You might not realise it, but you're already writing—or at least, going through one of its stages. There are lots of plotters around here who, like you, try to build up their worlds before committing an actual storyline to paper. Others (like me) are pantsers, and we often discover our worlds just by writing out our first drafts. There's no right or wrong way to do it, but you're already on the path. You've just gotta let your muse off her leash so she can do her stuff once your worldbuilding is complete. Trust your muse. I find mine works best when I give her small quantities of alcohol. Dunno why.

Welcome to AW!

ShayDRaven

Registered
Reaction score
You might not realise it, but you're already writing—or at least, going through one of its stages.

Thank you very much for saying this. I guess I never looked at it that way and I always wondered what the heck a pantser was. I'm already getting some learning done here, it seems!

I'm not much of a drinker so much anymore, but I do have... other means of stimulating my mind. I do remember writing some really decent essays for college while a bit tipsy though. Good tip! :p