Cultural Appropriation and Celebration of Failure to Read the Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In re: cornflake's point about writing outside one's experiences that don't have to do with race/ethnicity/culture:

* If you write about, say, a profession, if you get things wrong it's not nearly as harmful or insulting as getting culture wrong. For instance, I was reading a book that got the movie industry waaaaaaaaay wrong -- not obviously, just a lot of little details that were off. I stopped reading in about chapter 2 because it was too annoying. But I don't feel that book is making people more institutionally biased toward people who work in movies, and I didn't feel personally hurt/insulted/sickened by the inaccuracies. But sure, there are some non-cultural things that if you get them wrong, they WILL be hurtful -- like writing about sexual assault, for instance. And yeah, I think you should try to do your research and write sensitively in those instances as well.
In other words: I don't think anyone's saying writers shouldn't research other topics they write about. But most other topics lack the issues attached to cultural appropriation.
Exactly. For instance I'm a nurse. Watching the episode of sex and the city when Miranda has her baby irks me to no end. I wanted to hurl the remote control through the tv the way the writers portrayed the maternity nurse! Just thinking about it pisses me off, nurses do NOT act like that, in 19yrs of nursing I have NEVER EVER seen or heard a nurse act the way that nurse in that episode acted and it infuriates me, I'm spitting nails just thinking about it. WTF were the writers of that episode thinking? They weren't and as a professional it did a disservice to our profession. Did it make me stop watching SATC, no, I just tried to rifle the stupidity of it to the far corners of my mind. So the sense of anger I felt over something, to what others might not notice, makes me stop and think. Nursing isn't my culture but it does partially define who I am, so I'm sure the disgust I felt in that one minute of air time(and disgust is a polite word for it) I can only imagine how someone would feel about their culture being misrepresented.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
SL's post makes me wonder how much the source of contention hinges on not having a definition/understanding of culture. It's hard to talk about cultural appropriation if you don't fundamentally understand what culture is and what it does for us. The research on identity and culture in the social sciences all tends to agree that especially white middle class Americans don't tend to view themselves as having a culture. So just to extrapolate a little bit, I think if you're from the dominant culture in any given moment/place/time, it's very hard to see what your culture is and thus understand what other people's cultures mean to them. And in that way, I think it's really easy sometimes for writers to do all of the other research except the research on culture. It's easy to have cultural blinders on if you're not in a situation where your cultural isn't the dominant one.

I'm not sure if I'm making sense. Also I'm late to this thread so while I read most of the pages, I didn't read everything, so I apologize if this has already come up.

SwallowFeather

Oops I just swallowed a feather
Registered
Reaction score
SL's post makes me wonder how much the source of contention hinges on not having a definition/understanding of culture. It's hard to talk about cultural appropriation if you don't fundamentally understand what culture is and what it does for us. The research on identity and culture in the social sciences all tends to agree that especially white middle class Americans don't tend to view themselves as having a culture. So just to extrapolate a little bit, I think if you're from the dominant culture in any given moment/place/time, it's very hard to see what your culture is and thus understand what other people's cultures mean to them. And in that way, I think it's really easy sometimes for writers to do all of the other research except the research on culture. It's easy to have cultural blinders on if you're not in a situation where your cultural isn't the dominant one.

I'm not sure if I'm making sense. Also I'm late to this thread so while I read most of the pages, I didn't read everything, so I apologize if this has already come up.

This makes sense to me. If you're from the dominant culture in a given place, or live within a tight subculture with little contact with the outside, or live in one of those now very rare places where there is simply very little contact with any other culture, you don't learn to define your culture as "my culture" but as "the way things should be done." You don't learn to step outside it and back in.

Another aspect of this is the way cultures look when seen from outside, as opposed to from inside. I would argue that one of the biggest reasons white middle class Americans see themselves as having no culture is that when we look at other cultures, especially ones with deep roots in land or history or both, we see a good many more rituals and traditions than we have ourselves. (And ours are somewhat invisible to us of course, since from the inside tradition looks like “what everyone does.”) Those are the aspects of culture most visible from outside, and one very common mistake is to define culture as just that—rituals and traditions—research those, and think you've done the job. Not understanding culture as a deeper thing than that, a way of seeing the world.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This makes sense to me. If you're from the dominant culture in a given place, or live within a tight subculture with little contact with the outside, or live in one of those now very rare places where there is simply very little contact with any other culture, you don't learn to define your culture as "my culture" but as "the way things should be done." You don't learn to step outside it and back in.

Another aspect of this is the way cultures look when seen from outside, as opposed to from inside. I would argue that one of the biggest reasons white middle class Americans see themselves as having no culture is that when we look at other cultures, especially ones with deep roots in land or history or both, we see a good many more rituals and traditions than we have ourselves. (And ours are somewhat invisible to us of course, since from the inside tradition looks like “what everyone does.”) Those are the aspects of culture most visible from outside, and one very common mistake is to define culture as just that—rituals and traditions—research those, and think you've done the job. Not understanding culture as a deeper thing than that, a way of seeing the world.
I think what has happened with "white" North Americans isn't so much that we don't have culture, but we have religion. If you look at an aboriginal culture part of the loss of their culture has been religion being brought to those regions. Just as Christianity spread across Europe and replaced many cultures, often with brute force, the same thing happened here in North America. My Prime Minister was hoping the Pope would offer an apology to those natives who went/forced into residential schools, the church ran those schools and the Canadian Gov't apologized for their role in those schools and now the church needs to acknowledge its role. There is no way to separate the loss of culture without seeing what it was being replaced with. Again this is not an attack on those who are Christian(my own kids attend a Catholic school and my husband was raised Catholic) but if we dig hard enough about what the "white" culture is, it is based on culture being replaced with religion. So after all of this, to have a white Christian write about aboriginal culture is a slap in the face to those who lost their culture and are desperately trying to bring it back.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I think it's always useful to remember too, that one person's experience of being Y isn't going to be universal.

There's an old Singhalese TV series I watched on YouTube recently. In it, this retired couple find out their son, who emigrated to the UK, is finally coming home for a visit. Because the couple have very little money, they sell some land they own so they can fix up their house, buy the kind of food they imagine their son now eats, etc. Things go downhill from there. For me, the series is like watching a trainwreck, with these two people consistently making the most self-sabotaging decisions possible where money and/or their children are concerned.

Most of the comments from other Sri Lankans are along the lines of, "It brought tears to my eyes to see the sacrifices our parents make for us." Another one was "The mother serves the children first, then scrapes the bottom of the pot for her meal, which she eats in the corner of the kitchen. This is how real mothers behave."

I always knew I was Westernized, but damn, this really brought it home to me.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's an old Singhalese TV series I watched on YouTube recently. In it, this retired couple find out their son, who emigrated to the UK, is finally coming home for a visit. Because the couple have very little money, they sell some land they own so they can fix up their house, buy the kind of food they imagine their son now eats, etc. Things go downhill from there. For me, the series is like watching a trainwreck, with these two people consistently making the most self-sabotaging decisions possible where money and/or their children are concerned.

Most of the comments from other Sri Lankans are along the lines of, "It brought tears to my eyes to see the sacrifices our parents make for us." Another one was "The mother serves the children first, then scrapes the bottom of the pot for her meal, which she eats in the corner of the kitchen. This is how real mothers behave."

I always knew I was Westernized, but damn, this really brought it home to me.

AAAHHHH. This is *exactly* how I feel whenever I go to my parents' place and my mom's watching her usual Chinese or Korean dramas. I'm like, "Jaysus, that is one unhealthy-as-fuck relationship" and she's like, "Look how filial that child is to his mother. He knows that she has self-sacrificed for years for his benefit. *sniff* *looks at me with disappointment*".

One scene that I still remember, years later, was the mother and the son getting into a huge disagreement. The son was about to leave (and do something stupid which I don't recall), and the mom ran to the window and threatened to fling herself out if he didn't listen to her.

My take was: Holy shit what emotional blackmail is this.
My mom's take: Wow, she's willing to sacrifice her own LIFE so that her son doesn't make a big mistake. What a wonderful mother.

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been wondering whether we should talk about "harmful representation" more than "cultural appropriation" because the latter seems to hard for some people to wrap their heads around.

But...I'm not sure it matters. When it comes down to it, it appears there are a lot of white people who simply don't give a shit about PoC and how we feel. In fact, not only do they not give a shit, but they take pride in this. They don't want to listen to us, and they want to make these discussions all about them. After some of the crap I've seen in the romance community lately, there are some authors whose books I will never be buying...

You know, I think you're right: "harmful representation" seems to be more apt. But I agree, a lot of white writers don't care about PoCs and our feelings, and pride themselves on that.

However, I believe saying "a lot of white writers" doesn't really account for the type of writer we're talking about whose type is quite prevalent in all cultures. Perhaps a better way would be to say "a lot of dominant-culture writers"? I'm just thinking of moving away from using colours as labels. Or is that naive -- and insulting -- of me to try to remove these labels in the context of this thread?

Am asking because it actually makes me uncomfortable to say "white writers" when I'm aware that this isn't always the case.

Doesn't this kind of then extend to everything?

One could extend this to everything. However, I was talking about my reluctance and refusal to tell the story of a minority / marginalised culture for the personal reasons I listed.

I don't think snitchcat was suggesting defining person of X culture as *just* that. Race is one defining trait of many. I would actually define myself first and foremost as female (and a hippo), and then by my race, and then I guess by my age, and then by education, and then...hrummm economic stability or otherwise, and then...oh as a mom, and then...a wannabe writer, oh, and a wife, and...I dunno, whatever other defining factors there are. I would define you not just as a cereal flake, but also a good query writer, a thoughtful poster, my victim , a snarky critter, and so on and so forth... It would be problematic if we were all only defined by ONE trait.

As to the whether or not this extends to everything, I don't know. There's another thread about the same subject in the Activism forum, and someone wisely pointed out that turning to extremes ("ignore all the noise! Write whatever you want!" Or "you can't write any char outside of your own demographic!") is easier to understand. It's when you strive for a middle ground that things get murky, and we find that the lines are blurred and people from the same group sometimws disagree about where they are in the first place, because like you pointed out, individual experience plays a factor too.

Heh, no, I was not suggesting that a person define themselves in this way. One defines oneself as one does. A cop out response? No. I believe that if one is comfortable with how one defines oneself using one's preferred criteria, then that is how it is; I will accept and respect that. :)

"Murky". That's a good way of looking at this topic.

No, sorry, I don't think Snitch was saying that people should be defined as just culture or race/ethnicity, but someone saying they feel they can't write about people from different cultures, and that people misunderstood someone's lack of apology as it was cultural

Yes, this.

-- though I don't see a particular reason to presume it wasn't just rude, or a product of the moment and not culture -- seems to me to kind of be looking at things from that type of lens, primarily cultural. Which, obviously, some people do define primarily, or feel their experiences are primarily defined, but... yeah.

I saw it that way because I heard three languages and saw two different cultures from opposite sides of the world in the video. Then I saw a third culture in the responses. Hence, I found the reactions all quite a bit more cultural than actually saying the lack of gratitude was a product of the moment.

Someone later in the thread pointed out that the gentleman was the maternal grandfather. Thank you for clearing that up; spoken Mandarin Chinese is not my forte.

It also then just brings up the rest to me, because I don't see the difference so much -- though I see the issues in ingrained societal prejudice that are different -- between a cultural or racial difference and a mental illness, a disorder, being short, being divorced, practicing a particular profession, etc.

I understand how ingrained societal prejudices inform one's viewpoint. On the other hand, I'm sensitive to many cultural differences due to my background.

This is where sensitivity readers come in. You have someone with the background you're trying to portray who can go through and tell you where you've missed it or misspoken.

Small example. In one of my books, there's an infection that turns the afflicted's blood jet black. There were lines in that book with a character who had been exposed bemoaning how they couldn't go home with "black blood." That phrase, to me, was a literal representation of the condition. Someone else pointed out that the same phrase, in other contexts, is used to denigrate people with African American heritage (the "one drop" rule). It was easy to rephrase the character's dialogue and not lose an ounce of meaning, but I wouldn't have thought to do it without hearing from someone who had different experiences. And the point is that it needed to be done. It's not about vision or authorial authenticity. Yes, it's my story, but it's written for an audience that hopefully includes a large number of diverse readers, some of whom might have had very negative run-ins with that phrase in a hurtful context. Me declaring my intent isn't as important as the potential damage done to a kid who associates my words with someone who hurt them. It's a breech of trust.

Wow. That term is something I would never have considered in such context.

I wasn't suggesting I was on the 'write whatever and fuck 'em if they're offended' page. I'd be careful about things and wary, but I don't know that tilting entirely to people maybe shouldn't write anything outside of their own experiences, is a good idea either. I'm not sure where people are suggesting those lines are.

There are a lot of things to consider in this thread. It's a complicated topic and mental gymnastics (as well as the occasional accidental conflation) are quite the norm here, IMO.

On the other, you've got your traditional Avatar / Ferngully / Pocahontas / Dances with Wolves / etc. "white savior" trope, where the guy is put there as the audience's insert character to "translate" between them and [insert non-white culture of choice]. It's condescending and ignorant, but in a different way from old Hollywood's "just put darker make-up on them" method of casting.

Irksome. Very irksome. I've seen those and... sigh. While I loved the concepts, saw what was behind the surface telling, I couldn't help thinking: what happened to not being condescending, to just presenting the stories as-is, without the translation? What happened to letting those cultures tell their own stories?

The one that really infuriated me, and put me off Disney forever, was Mulan. But I'll wax lyrical on that somewhere else at some point.

I can't comment on the disabilities part because I'm not sure how I want to phrase anything that's running through my head. But I get it.

The real "line" is a series of puppet strings, all held in the hands of the writer. The writer gets in trouble when they try to force those strings into trite, stereotypical motions rather than letting the puppet dance in the way more authentic to its story.

The line comes down to Don't be a Jerk and Don't write crap.

The language around cultural appropriation is "new" (c. 20 years or so, I forget), but the problem is not new, nor are the excuses around avoiding being courteous and accurate.

No one who knows anything is saying "You can write this" unless "you're that"; but people are saying get it right.

When we take cultural practices, whether religious or social or literary/mythological out of their context, we can't help but change them. [snip]

It's . . . complicated. Cultural interaction, explanation and annotation change things.

QFT.

Yes, when taken out of context (and I'd venture to say, even in context), we all have a tendency to change something, no matter how minor, because our filters, our views, colour everything we see. So, IMO, we can't be truly objective, despite our best efforts.

One example of this is how Chinese and Japanese cultures were/are conflated. This was especially evident when aspects of these cultures first started going mainstream within Western societies. It was incredibly infuriating. And the exploitation of elements of both was... Let's just say I avoided them whenever possible. (And I still do.)

Btw, obvious side note: "Fortune cookies" are not Chinese; they're an American invention. In the same way, "General Tso's Chicken" is not Chinese; this historical general was too busy fighting to cook. Definitely an America-invented dish.

Someone else's stories should be approached with at least the humble understanding that we might inadvertently, unconsciously alter them. Diligent research combined with openness to no-holds-barred critique are the best tools we have...but we have to have the courage to use them (versus the arrogance to insist they are unnecessary in my work).

Maybe our research reveals too many holes in a story idea best abandoned. Maybe a gracious critique means a completed manuscript has to be entirely rewritten. These things happen, and there's no point being precious about our feelings. Do better next time.

Agreed.

This led me to wonder: if science is a good thing overall, a tool that improves the quality of life and the standards of living for people, and if questioning everything has led some who are oppressed to question the status quo and has even led some of us in the currently dominant culture to question our own beliefs and our "right" to push everyone else around (after centuries of using their scientific accomplishments as a justification for dominating, of course), then aren't cultures that encourage inquisitiveness and questioning better off overall and more likely to survive, even if they evolve and change and eventually forget much of their old ways?

[snip]

There's a difference between a culture abandoning some things that were once dear to them but don't work for them anymore on their own and being forced to by another culture that wants their stuff or gets an ego trip out of making everyone more like them.

You know, I think this may need its own thread. IMO, this is another huge topic that needs to be examined in-depth without derailing this one. :)

If you are X, feel free to include characters who are Y, but do NOT write from the experience of being Y, because that's not your story to tell. Do the research, be accurate, be respectful, seek out opinions from Y beta readers, but try not to step into "This is how it feels to be Y" because no amount of research can actually put you into their shoes.

There are exceptions to this, obviously, as there are to pretty much every "rule" about writing, but I like this as a benchmark for "Am I going too far out of my own experience with this?"

QFT.

In re: cornflake's point about writing outside one's experiences that don't have to do with race/ethnicity/culture:

* If you write about, say, a profession, if you get things wrong it's not nearly as harmful or insulting as getting culture wrong.

* Culture influences our ways of thinking in really unexpected ways. It wasn't until I lived overseas that I realized a lot of my assumptions about ways of thinking I thought of as "human" -- or didn't think about at all, but would have assumed were universal -- are actually cultural.

* But for some reason, when we ask people to research other cultures, there's pushback.

In other words: I don't think anyone's saying writers shouldn't research other topics they write about. But most other topics lack the issues attached to cultural appropriation.

This definitely makes sense.

There are so many elements that comprise culture. And I think everyone has a different viewpoint of that composition, but perhaps, because the majority agree on several common factors, therein lies the concept of culture. For example, one might say that because everyone practices a certain routine at a certain time, it is culture.

Several instances spring to mind: The celebration of the seasons and certain times within those seasons. From West to East, there are myriad variations, multiple ways of celebrating those events. The Spring Festival, May Day, Eid, the Autumn Festival / Harvest, Hanukah, Winter Solstice, New Year's. And so on. How many of the traditional pagan festivals were stolen by the Catholic church and assimilated into its practices, and over time, became new traditions and culture?

On the other hand, I think many of us are in a unique position: we are from both the dominant culture and the marginalised one.

For instance: I'm simultaneously part of the dominant UK culture and the marginalised Chinese culture (oh, and derail here: This is so telling of one of the reasons I left the country I am/was a citizen of: 56% of Brits view ethnic minorities as a threat to British culture, a new study finds. Sources: https://www.defendevropa.org/2017/britain/britons-reject-diversity-new-research-finds/ and https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...nk-minorities-threaten-uk-culture-report-says). I'm also similarly, part of the dominant HK culture and the minority British culture in HK. Then again, part of the minority HK culture when I'm in Mainland China.

AAAHHHH. This is *exactly* how I feel whenever I go to my parents' place and my mom's watching her usual Chinese or Korean dramas. I'm like, "Jaysus, that is one unhealthy-as-fuck relationship" and she's like, "Look how filial that child is to his mother. He knows that she has self-sacrificed for years for his benefit. *sniff* *looks at me with disappointment*".

Exactly this.

Last edited:

SwallowFeather

Registered
Reaction score
I think what has happened with "white" North Americans isn't so much that we don't have culture, but we have religion. If you look at an aboriginal culture part of the loss of their culture has been religion being brought to those regions. Just as Christianity spread across Europe and replaced many cultures, often with brute force, the same thing happened here in North America. My Prime Minister was hoping the Pope would offer an apology to those natives who went/forced into residential schools, the church ran those schools and the Canadian Gov't apologized for their role in those schools and now the church needs to acknowledge its role. There is no way to separate the loss of culture without seeing what it was being replaced with. Again this is not an attack on those who are Christian(my own kids attend a Catholic school and my husband was raised Catholic) but if we dig hard enough about what the "white" culture is, it is based on culture being replaced with religion. So after all of this, to have a white Christian write about aboriginal culture is a slap in the face to those who lost their culture and are desperately trying to bring it back.

I've been mulling this over and I don't really think I agree. Except about two things: Christianity should never have been spread by force, where it was, or any kind of coercion; and the Church definitely should apologize for those prison camps they called boarding schools. (I mean I don't know if in Canada it was just like it was in the U.S. but I would imagine so.)

On the other hand, the "culture replaced by religion" idea... I honestly don't think that's exactly what "white" culture is fundamentally. I mean, when you look at ancient Europe, those original, aboriginal cultures, the Celts and the Gauls and the Visigoths and all, were hella religious. They had gods. That wasn't just their culture. Culture and religion were intimately bound, yeah. For my own people, the Irish Celts, the process of adopting a new religion was voluntary and did not replace the old culture, only the old religion; it changed the culture, new elements of culture were built around it, but it sure as heck didn't leave them cultureless. (They made the Book of Kells.) I actually think--as far as white Americans, and perhaps white North Americans--our sense of loss of culture has a lot more to do with being generations uprooted from the land that our ancestors built their culture on. And living on stolen land and trying to be blind to the fact. As an American who grew up in France, I definitely feel that Europeans still have culture. Living in the U.S. now I miss it.

The thing about aboriginal religions matters. Because with cultural appropriation, one story I hear over and over on the internet is: a white person saw something from a Native culture and thought it looked really cool, and incorporated it into their computer game/clothing line/costume/toy/book. Native people protest: you can't just use that that way; that is sacred. Cue a whole lot of incomprehension from white people: sacred? Here's one of the stories, on a really good blog about appropriation & representation, from a Nambe Pueblo woman, that I'd recommend to anybody. She makes this kind of point over and over. She makes the point that describing Native religious stories, creation/world origin stories, as "legends" (as if they are not true--as would not be done to the Genesis story, at least in print in a children's book) is disrespectful. These things ought to be respected as religion--not just as culture.

Now if you're telling me the boarding schools in Canada were about replacing Native culture and religion with Catholicism/Christianity, and that by violence and coercion, I will certainly believe you, and that was a heinous crime. Done by the most awful, heartless, deliberate, condescending coercion--I imagine. It sure was in the U.S. And after that violence, appropriation certainly does seem like adding insult to injury.

Last edited:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been mulling this over and I don't really think I agree. Except about two things: Christianity should never have been spread by force, where it was, or any kind of coercion; and the Church definitely should apologize for those prison camps they called boarding schools. (I mean I don't know if in Canada it was just like it was in the U.S. but I would imagine so.)

On the other hand, the "culture replaced by religion" idea... I honestly don't think that's exactly what "white" culture is fundamentally. I mean, when you look at ancient Europe, those original, aboriginal cultures, the Celts and the Gauls and the Visigoths and all, were hella religious. They had gods. That wasn't just their culture. Culture and religion were intimately bound, yeah. For my own people, the Irish Celts, the process of adopting a new religion was voluntary and did not replace the old culture, only the old religion; it changed the culture, new elements of culture were built around it, but it sure as heck didn't leave them cultureless. (They made the Book of Kells.) I actually think--as far as white Americans, and perhaps white North Americans--our sense of loss of culture has a lot more to do with being generations uprooted from the land that our ancestors built their culture on. And living on stolen land and trying to be blind to the fact. As an American who grew up in France, I definitely that Europeans still have culture. Living in the U.S. now I miss it.

The thing about aboriginal religions matters. Because with cultural appropriation, one story I hear over and over on the internet is: a white person saw something from a Native culture and thought it looked really cool, and incorporated it into their computer game/clothing line/costume/toy/book. Native people protest: you can't just use that that way; that is sacred. Cue a whole lot of incomprehension from white people: sacred? Here's one of the stories, on a really good blog about appropriation & representation, from a Nambe Pueblo woman that I'd recommend to anybody. She makes this kind of point over and over. She makes the point that describing Native religious stories, creation/world origin stories, as "legends" (as if they are not true--as would not be done to the Genesis story, at least in print in a children's book) is disrespectful. These things ought to be respected as religion--not just as culture.

Now if you're telling me the boarding schools in Canada were about replacing Native culture and religion with Catholicism/Christianity, and that by violence and coercion, I will certainly believe you, and that was a heinous crime. Done by the most awful, heartless, deliberate, condescending coercion--I imagine. It sure was in the U.S. And after that violence, appropriation certainly does seem like adding insult to injury.
The church had enormous power and there are many scholarly articles on Christianity and how it spread and took over Europe. If you weren't Christian you were savage. There wasn't a choice. This didn't just happen to the aboriginals of North America, it happened all across Europe and changed the face of the globe and entire cultures and languages were lost. The Roman empire at one time was multi-cultural once Christianity took hold that ceased if you read up on Christianity and its history and how it became powerful and organized its not a rosy past. Its history is filled with violence and squashing of peoples rights and culture. It redefined the world.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly don't think that's exactly what "white" culture is fundamentally. I mean, when you look at ancient Europe, those original, aboriginal cultures, the Celts and the Gauls and the Visigoths and all, were hella religious. They had gods. That wasn't just their culture. Culture and religion were intimately bound, yeah. For my own people, the Irish Celts, the process of adopting a new religion was voluntary and did not replace the old culture, only the old religion; it changed the culture, new elements of culture were built around it, but it sure as heck didn't leave them cultureless. (They made the Book of Kells.)

Err . . . kinda yes, but a lotta no. Irish was a language that was forbidden after c. 1600 in terms of schools and government interaction. English was enforced at the language; school children who spoke in Irish at school were punished. After Ireland was divided into two nations, the Republic of Ireland made Irish an official language with legal standind; It is required in schools, signs are in both English and Irish, etc.

Except by the time Irish was again a culturally approved language in Ireland, there weren't a lot of native speakers left. Zealous reformers tried to standardize very different dialects of Irish and basically forcibly created a new dialect, deliberately changing the language in some fairly marked ways.

To the point where if you want to read Irish texts written before say 1900 or so, you have to learn a different language. It's more different than, say Shakespeare and Modern English. It's more different than even Modern English and Chaucer.

That loss of Irish in an unbroken tradition has meant that much of the native mythology and other cultural documents isn't readily accessible. Native Irish myths have been lost, and sometimes forcibly altered by English speakers. The leprechaun is one such myth, lifted and altered by the English and sometimes used in ways that are neither culturally accurate or positive.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been away from AW for far too long. I don't know where to start.

Welcome back! Wondered why you'd not yet weighed in. :)

This is a looooooooooooooong thread; there's also a related one in the Activism sub-forum. Both contain a lot of information and opinions that need time to digest. But, when you're ready, and if you're inclined, would love to hear your input. :)

SwallowFeather

Registered
Reaction score
Err . . . kinda yes, but a lotta no. Irish was a language that was forbidden after c. 1600 in terms of schools and government interaction. English was enforced at the language; school children who spoke in Irish at school were punished. After Ireland was divided into two nations, the Republic of Ireland made Irish an official language with legal standind; It is required in schools, signs are in both English and Irish, etc.

Except by the time Irish was again a culturally approved language in Ireland, there weren't a lot of native speakers left. Zealous reformers tried to standardize very different dialects of Irish and basically forcibly created a new dialect, deliberately changing the language in some fairly marked ways.

To the point where if you want to read Irish texts written before say 1900 or so, you have to learn a different language. It's more different than, say Shakespeare and Modern English. It's more different than even Modern English and Chaucer.

That loss of Irish in an unbroken tradition has meant that much of the native mythology and other cultural documents isn't readily accessible. Native Irish myths have been lost, and sometimes forcibly altered by English speakers. The leprechaun is one such myth, lifted and altered by the English and sometimes used in ways that are neither culturally accurate or positive.

This is all very true. I was making a limited point about whether adopting a new religion replaces culture or leaves you cultureless, looking at only the short run.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Attempting to define the word culture is itself probably fodder for a separate thread, which I will ponder. There are too many factors involved in what makes a culture, and there are multiple lenses through which a culture can be viewed—both within the culture and outside it. So let me think that one over for a bit.

I think we can still focus here on authorial responsibility when writing about cultures not our own and what it means to get it wrong, whether our efforts are well-intentioned through diligent research without vetting source material or sloppily through no research at all. Those who do it intentionally can't be reached, so I'll not bother.

Here's a link to a book review "Antisemitism and THE GIRL WHO WOULDN"T DIE". I warn you that it's a long post. That post, though, hits on almost everything an author can get wrong from historical inaccuracies in depicting the environment and setting to what it really meant to be there to the language used in characterization. And it clearly and specifically addresses the harm that can be caused through shoddy writing. I was aghast and I'm pretty sure you will be, too. This . . . this is what we want to avoid when writing about cultures not our own.

SwallowFeather

Registered
Reaction score
The church had enormous power and there are many scholarly articles on Christianity and how it spread and took over Europe. If you weren't Christian you were savage. There wasn't a choice. This didn't just happen to the aboriginals of North America, it happened all across Europe and changed the face of the globe and entire cultures and languages were lost. The Roman empire at one time was multi-cultural once Christianity took hold that ceased if you read up on Christianity and its history and how it became powerful and organized its not a rosy past. Its history is filled with violence and squashing of peoples rights and culture. It redefined the world.

I have no interest in denying Christian crimes or the Christian history of violence. There is a minority view in Christianity that the Emperor Constantine converting, and making the Roman Empire Christian, was a travesty and the worst thing that ever happened to Christianity. I'm part of that view. This is what I was obliquely referencing somewhere back there when I said privilege doesn't look good on Christians. I would like to see Christians embrace nonviolence and eschew seeking power. I believe in this as part of the original vision that was later twisted.

When I talk about respecting aboriginal religion as religion (and I well understand that these may not be the right terms within the culture, but it's the words I understand) it's because religion is very personal to me and I understand how personal it can be. I don't believe in the vast majority of the things Christians have done. But the fundamental story itself--the story of God dying for people--and the person and words of Jesus, are infinitely precious to me, or believe me I would have chucked it all seventeen years ago and gotten rid of all this guilt by association.

This may be enough about me for now. Sorry. Didn't mean to make this the SwallowFeather show.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
With all this discussion going on in Canada about cultural appropriation going on in Canada, I wonder if I'll ever get a publisher to even consider my book.

In case you don't know, and if you're in the U.S. you won't; there is a huge discussion under way in Canada about cultural appropriation with aboriginals saying "don't steal our art, don't steal our voices," people resigning or getting reassigned from prominent editorial positions and even some First Nations writers arguing about who is more Indian than the other. It all comes out of books written by people purporting to be aboriginal and most recently about artwork resembling that of a prominent aboriginal artist.

Oops. I used the word Indian. As a (mostly) white person I'm required by PC law to use the words aboriginal or First Nations.

Only Indians can use the word "Indian" and they do.

In the U.S. you frequently say "Native American."

Anyway, I have a novel I'm preparing to pitch after working on it for two years and it has two FN characters in it, and one is a jerk and the other is a woman with possibly a disappeared sibling. In case you don't know, the issue of murdered and missing aboriginal women is significant in Canada.

Seeing as I'm white (I can't prove my 19th century aboriginal heritage) and I don't depict either one as a saint I might as well give up.

This all sounds more than vaguely hostile to me.

I standby the recent resignation as it went too far. I stand by the recent closing of the art exhibition, as not only was the artist appropriating from the First Nation community, but she was also copying a First Nation artist almost stroke for stroke...she was a thief.

Pushback sucks, don't it.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been away from AW for far too long. I don't know where to start.

I'm actually too angry to start. But I did anyway.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The one that really infuriated me, and put me off Disney forever, was Mulan. But I'll wax lyrical on that somewhere else at some point.

Out of curiosity, what were your issues with Mulan?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Hublocker: I've read quite a bit of this thread now, though not all of it. You seem extremely dismissive of anything that's not in line with your way of thinking. Which makes me wonder why you gave enough of a shit in the first place to pose the first post. But that aside, I hope the very least you do is have a SENSITIVITY READER fact-check and authenticate your story. It's true, any ole anyone can write any ole thing they want. Getting it right is only an option, but it's not one I personally would want to ignore.

Signed an exhausted Canadian with a Mi'kmaq Nana.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I feel that in writing/art, cultural appropriation often (but definitely not always) comes down to the privilege of not being used to having to think about these issues in a broader context.

Writers are often very protective of their ideas and freedom of expression, and attached to their words. One of the things people have to learn if they want to be professional writers is striking a balance between maintaining the integrity of their vision and considering things like audience reactions and marketing concerns. You have to learn, for example, that no matter how much you love your MC, it doesn't do much good if readers overwhelmingly hate them.

I think when writing about characters who have identities (especially marginalized ones) that the author doesn't share, a lot of people feel defensive because they feel like they never signed up to be part of a larger dialogue about minority characters and representation. Maybe they just want to write about a character who happens to be Native American, or maybe they had this really nifty idea to create a fantasy world based on Native American cultures and don't want to give that up. And they feel like they should be able to just write what they want without having politics affect how their work is received. And if they're coming at it from a position of privilege, maybe they've never really had their work received that way before.

The thing is, you don't get to just publish whatever you want and have it exist outside of the society in which your readers live. You can't control what associations they have with what you've written. You can't ignore that writers who are members of the community you're writing about have been dealing with these issues for a lot longer than you have and can't escape them so easily. And when you're a white writer and your response is "Whatever, I just want to write about a Native American character. I don't care about any of this other stuff," then you are being appropriative in my opinion, because you're having fun with the culture without paying respect to the real people. You're using your privilege to exempt yourself from a broader context that they can't exempt themselves from.

The novel that I'm writing at the moment has a gay Russian character, though it is not about being a gay Russian, and I've wrestled a lot with how much I need to acknowledge what is happening to LGBT people in Russia right now, whether it would be inappropriate not to acknowledge it, and whether the book could be published in the current political climate without taking on political connotations that I never intended. But when it comes down to it, any "unfairness" over how current events might impact how people read this story pales in comparison to how reality affects real people. It's not my fault the situation exists as it does, but I can't just pretend that it doesn't. I still need to be respectful.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I googled the word appropriation to get the word-for-word definition (I know, I know!):

The first one listed is this:

the action of taking something for one's own use, typically without the owner's permission.

The second is this:
the artistic practice or technique of reworking images from well-known paintings, photographs, etc., in one's own work.

I'm wondering if there's an inherent disconnect between people who think they're in the second definition, when they're really in the first.

Imagine if you were at a party with fifty people. Forty-six of these people are all eating the same food and wearing the same clothes because that's how they party. The final four come in with a big bowl of candies and wearing costumes because that's how they party. Now imagine that mob of forty-six all rushing the other four to grab handfuls of their candy and snatch off pieces of their costumes "just to try" them.

They don't want to hear what the costumes mean or why colorful candy is served instead of chips and dip. Some start wearing pieces of the costume in their every day life as a "statement," when the costume already has its own statement attached by the people to whom it belongs. Only you don't know what it means because that mob wouldn't listen. They just wanted "the different stuff."

Stores start selling the candies in bulk, when they're only meant to be made by hand and shared with friends or family for specific occasions.

"I DON'T CARE!!!" declares the people who like the candy. "I WANT MY CANDY. IT TASTES GOOD!!!"

"STOP DISRESPECTING MY ART!!!" shout the people who have taken bits and pieces of something they see as visually appealing and applied them out of context when it's not theirs to begin with.

(I'm reminded of the scene in Jurassic Park where Ellie warns Hammond that the park's "pretty" plants are deadly. They hadn't done the research because it was hard and they're only interested in what looks good to them.)

Pretty soon, the meaning behind the costumes and the candy are either altered or lost, with the predominant version of them being the one assigned by the people who never knew what they meant in the first place.

Like giving a book report about how the sisters in Little Women went to see their father by taking a raft down the Mississippi River during the war, only their brother Jo got sick and their sister Laurie was killed in battle. It makes no sense if you know the real stories, but if you've never heard them, then maybe you think that's really what Little Women is about. Maybe that's what you pass on to others. Maybe that's what ends up in the movies and on Netflix. Maybe the hottest T-shirt of the summer is valiant Laurie bleeding out on her family's raft with cannon fire overhead.

Misappropriation gets into the cultural bloodstream, and once it's there, it circulates. Once it hits the hive mind, it's really hard to purge. All because a big group of people thought they had the right to mob a small group of people and take their stuff for fun and profit.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Here's a link to a book review "Antisemitism and THE GIRL WHO WOULDN"T DIE". I warn you that it's a long post. That post, though, hits on almost everything an author can get wrong from historical inaccuracies in depicting the environment and setting to what it really meant to be there to the language used in characterization. And it clearly and specifically addresses the harm that can be caused through shoddy writing. I was aghast and I'm pretty sure you will be, too. This . . . this is what we want to avoid when writing about cultures not our own.

That was unbelievably horrible. But reading that review is a good idea for anyone who doesn't understand some of the problems this thread has been covering.

Although it can be argued that the book isn't cultural appropriation. It's appropriation's evil twin: Cultural erasure. The Mary Sue of societies.

Because obviously one would write a book about a young Jewish girl in the Warsaw ghetto who thinks Nazis are so cool. That's the way to craft believable characters.

Arrgh. I can't keep the sarcasm going. That book is a revolting gut punch, and I admire the reviewer for doing the work of reading and deconstructing it.

There is a tendency for people to say that books like this are useful because they open up dialogues, but that is not so.

Dialogues can exist between people with honestly different perspectives.

They cannot be created between people trying to understand perspectives on truth and people who are practicing malicious mendacity.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
(Also, I want to say that I tend to work through things by rambling about them until I understand them. Basically talking/thinking out loud. Sometimes this comes off as usurping the explanation from someone with better insight / more experience. If that's how I sound, I'm truly sorry. I can't tell on my own.)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
(Also, I want to say that I tend to work through things by rambling about them until I understand them. Basically talking/thinking out loud. Sometimes this comes off as usurping the explanation from someone with better insight / more experience. If that's how I sound, I'm truly sorry. I can't tell on my own.)

None of us can. You're fine, Cyia.

Wrt that book review, I knew I was going to be appalled as soon as I saw the book's original title and description, and the MC's decision on a name change. It just got worse the more I read the review.

Status
Not open for further replies.