bannedbooks

Read a Banned Book

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Car Plows Into Pedestrians in Times Square

practical experience, FTW cornflake's Avatar

Car Plows Into Pedestrians in Times Square

There is currently no specific information as to what the hell precipitated this. It happened within the last half hour.

A red Honda hit at least 10 people in Times Square, after driving "out of control" and ending up on two wheels into the steel stanchions on a sidewalk and catching fire. The driver was extricated, alive. It's not even clear if the people hit were in the street or on the sidewalk.

No information about whether there was a medical incident or a purposeful event or a mechanical thing or what the hell went on. Breaking, ongoing.

The scene runs from 42nd & B'way to 45th and 7th

ETA: Driver was taken in cuffs into a cop car, is young male. NYPD says NOT terrorism, suspect has prior DUIs, but no released BAL.

Also Reuters breaking story here. Also one fatality, 13 people injured as of now.

ETAA: Apparently actually a fucking drunk, at noon, on a Thursday, drove his car through Times Square and hit 20 people.

As the FDNY commissioner just pointed out, this instantaneously caused a response in which cops, FDNY, antiterror units including FBI, shut down TS completely had businesses lock their doors and keep everyone inside (still going on), began looking in every car in the vicinity for other devices, looking for backup plans and people, securing every other landmark and tourist site, etc., etc., and rolling everyone possible out across the city ... for a half an hour until it was apparently at least mostly confirmed this was a fucking drunk.

He said terrorism is still rolling out but they're basically standing back as a full operation.

Read Banned Books AW Moderator regdog's Avatar
    Here's to the victims making a full recovery and sympathy to the family of the person killed.
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

practical experience, FTW Sunflowerrei's Avatar
    NY1 is reporting that the driver tested negative for alcohol, but he was hearing voices, so...

I was at work and only realized something had happened when I saw a Boston friend ask "Everyone all right, New York friends?" To which I immediately went to Twitter, going, "Oh, God, what happened this time?"

"When Mary Left," a short story| A woman faces her ultimate turning point: an unwanted pregnancy|Amazon|Smashwords|Kobo|Nook|Apple

Pearl | A former slave struggles to find her long-lost brother in the early nineteenth century
    |Amazon|Apple|Kobo|Barnes and Noble|Smashwords

Current projects:
    Novel, Victorian London/Paris.

Upcoming:
    Various short stories and novellas

Blog: The Sunflower's Scribbles | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Read Banned Books AW Moderator regdog's Avatar
    Update:

1 dead 22 injured. Suspect, Richard Rojas, 26, in custody tested negative for alcohol, but positive for PCP.

Two officials said Mr. Rojas had tested negative for alcohol; one official said that preliminary tests indicated that he was under the influence of PCP, a mood-altering drug.
    Link
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    I was headed to my theatre at 41st and 7th Avenue when it happened. Heard all the sirens, saw ambulances fighting their way to and from the scene.

Times Square is full of traffic cameras and there's plenty of footage of what happened (not for the faint of heart). The act was both deliberate and malicious.

When I was walking home last night many of the intersecting roads leading to Times Square were still closed off.
    Last edited by mrsmig; 05-19-2017 at 09:07 PM.
    KINGLET: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    FISKUR: Releasing November 2017 from Fiery Seas

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

This made it to the news here, too.
    -----------------------
    Soft toys. That is all.
    -----------------------
    Blog: Dreams of a Broken Phoenix
    Patreon: Tiny Carriers of Light
    FB "blog": Depression in Hong Kong
    -----------------------