Soooo, No More Verizon Email???

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got the email from them this morning that they are "retiring their email service," and suggesting customers switch to AOL...

Has anyone done this yet, and if so, is it working out OK? :Shrug:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I would not use AOL.

Gmail or Yahoo or Microsoft Live?

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
AOL? That does not sound like a good solution.

I suggest Gmail. It works with my phone mail ap, my Outlook, or their ap and web browser.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm torn, because the transition to AOL seems, well seamless - But who uses AOL any more? :Shrug:

Hmmm, maybe I should go with Gmail?

Signed,
Vernie-Who-Is-Majorly-Tech-Challenged :flag:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
AOL and Hotmail are the most frequently malware-laden email providers; they are closely followed by Yahoo.

Yahoo has a tiny advantage in that they at least working on improving and are rolling out two-factor authorization, which is good.

Gmail has a decent interface and is ubiquitous, but I generally assume they're willing to exploit user data however they can, but thanks to Congress and #45, so is every other ISP and service provider out there.

Paid email services are increasingly common, and might be worth investigating.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Another vote here for gmail. Once I switched I never went back.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okey-Dokey! - Thanks for the advice and feedback - I'm going with Gmail, Peeps.

I'll come back (probably in the next week or so) and give you an update, once I'm done. :Hammer:

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Haha. Been using AOL for my business email for like 12 years with no problem whatsoever. I don't like Outlook/live because they are always adding pains in the ass, but I use it anyway and grumble, because I hate Yahoo.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Gmail has the best spam filter.
Gmail has good search and organization.
Gmail has other useful features/connections.
Yahoo is slow as dead fuck and lets nearly all spam through.
Microsoft will bitch if you use an ad-blocker, and displays horribly in some browsers depending on settings....

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Interestingly, I just got this notice:

...you haven't heard, Yahoo plans to sell its operating business to Verizon. We anticipate the close to occur in June 2017. At the close, the Yahoo operating business will join the Verizon family of companies, and Yahoo Holdings, Inc. will be offering the Yahoo services you love and enjoy.

In connection with this proposed transaction, Yahoo is updating its terms of service. You can review the changes by visiting: Terms of Service

These updated terms will automatically be effective unless you cancel your Yahoo account before then.

That's it! We look forward to continuing to deliver your favorite products and services. ..,

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Yahoo's got a new mail in beta, which is pretty good. It's more like gmail than the old system. Threads are kept intact as "conversations," and it also works a lot faster.

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
I have both a yahoo account and two gmail accounts. The (old, personal) yahoo one is non-functional (page won't load, messages won't open, won't let you compose or delete, etc.) often enough for me to feel persecuted when it happens yet again. My gmail accounts, which are for work and writing submissions, WORK the way they're supposed to. And yes, the spam filter is much better.

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't aware Verizon offered email.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We don't have Verizon email, but we learned yesterday that Earthlink emails we've had for a decade are going belly-up.

Yahoo closed my oldest account of 17 years for no reason I could ever determine, on the day the HeartBleed security breech hit. I suspect my account was affected and used for something bad, but I'm still pissed to have lost my contacts list. Now Yahoo is just my various junk accounts for anything I do online which seems likely to get me a bunch of advertising email or sociopolical pleas for signatures, money, or my firstborn child.

I use gmail for writing-related stuff, but I'm less than thrilled that they monetize as they do. I'm thinking of getting another service, but haven't researched much yet. I want free and a good bit of storage, since I tend to delete only obvious spam.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got that Yahoo notice too about being sold to Verizon.

My Yahoo account's spam filter improved recently. I get less spam on my G-mail and Comcast accounts but I use them less. My Yahoo account has been around long enough that I regularly get spam using my email address. In other words, my email address has become someone else's spam address. It's the same for other addresses as well. I get spam that looks like it comes from my neighbor using her first and last name.

The problem with my Comcast account is if/when I want to change providers I believe I will lose that account. I don't know how that works.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
A Google gmail Gsuite plan is not a bad deal; c. $5.00/month per user/email address, 30 Gigs of storage, etc.

It's not just Gmail, either.

https://gsuite.google.com/pricing.html

No ads.

The thing about paying for email is that you are then a customer, not a mere user. So there's support etc.

$60.00 / year isn't a bad deal.

I've set Gsuite/Gmail up for a few people who had their own domains, and the instructions were quite good, and dead easy to follow.

There are lots of other paid email options too, besides Google.

It's a legitimate business expense.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting that you'd post that, and its price, when at about the time you posted it, Mr. Maryn decided paying $5 a month to keep what he/we have had for many years is worth it to him. (I wouldn't care if I lost my Earthlink email, but I could certainly use it more.) I had no feel for what a reasonable price was, and you cleared that right up.

Maryn, wondering if she should leave Yahoo, which she's mad at, and use Earthlink more