Short fiction question... offer revisions, or is that taboo?

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
Hi all,

I recently submitted a short story to a well-known genre magazine. The editor sent me a personalized rejection. He/she liked the premise and the relationship between the two main characters. He/she didn't like the second half as much, and didn't feel won over by the story. The editor finished with, "I hope you'll keep us in mind in the future."

I'm not too satisfied with the second half myself. Should I offer revisions, or just move on? I don't want to jeopardize any potential future relationship. There's no policy stated on the website about revisions.

Thanks everyone!

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
re-write that second half and then get submitting elsewhere.
Or, alternatively, don't.

Well, yes, get to submitting, but not necessarily to re-writing.

Only re-write if you agree with them and honestly think it will make the story better. One editor's opinions isn't the end-all.

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
Yeah... one of my beta readers, who interned at a literary agency, said the same thing (though I rewrote slightly after her comment). So that makes me think there may be something to it.

On the other hand, I like it how it is. Eh...

divine-intestine

Hardened drinker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't write the story of because of one editor. They're a fickle bunch and I'm sure you'll be able to find someone who does like the second half of the story.

Good luck!