Well? Is it time for the 25th?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ross Douthat thinks so.

A child cannot be president. I love my children; they cannot have the nuclear codes.
We were talking to some Americans about this in a sort of Why haven't they already done it? way - and no-one knew. Can anyone clear that up for us?

ETA: Us being non-Americans.

Last edited:

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
The 25th (specifically, Section 4 of the 25th Amendment) requires action by both the Vice President and key members of both houses of Congress. It's never been done -- which is no reason not to do it, but does lead to hesitancy about pulling that trigger. (Certainly, it's not something to take lightly. Even when the POTUS is so clearly incapable of doing his job; after all, that was clear to most people before the election.)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The 25th (specifically, Section 4 of the 25th Amendment) requires action by both the Vice President and key members of both houses of Congress. It's never been done -- which is no reason not to do it, but does lead to hesitancy about pulling that trigger. (Certainly, it's not something to take lightly. Even when the POTUS is so clearly incapable of doing his job; after all, that was clear to most people before the election.)
Yes, but it's only the VP and eight Cabinet members, isn't it? Eight is not a lot. Not the way things are going.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Don't expect any action on this until/unless 45's job as distraction is no longer necessary. No matter how dangerous his blunders, no matter how harmful his boasts and actions, he's doing exactly what he was "hired" to do: throw everyone off balance and keep the spotlight on himself as he justifies the Republican juggernaut that's even now dismantling and reshaping the government as we know it. (Keep in mind that, to many of us, Pence is at least as dangerous, if not moreso, than the current "president.")

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
It's well past time in my opinion, but my opinion doesn't matter, just as my vote for President didn't matter and as I've been informed by both my Representative and Senator, my policy opinions don't matter.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Recall that the people in Trump's cabinet were chosen, not for their expertise, not for their integrity, not for their intelligence: they were chosen for their personal loyalty to Trump.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What is also going to be needed, is to find Republican Congressmen or Congresswomen with the spine to stand up for their country and Constitution and not their own, self serving or party interest.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
But how far can you get with the 'personal loyalty oath' of a person of no integrity?

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
But how far can you get with the 'personal loyalty oath' of a person of no integrity?
It means they will remain loyal as long as that loyalty is useful.

That kind of quid-pro-quo personal loyalty is what will be 45's downfall. At some point, his "loyal" subjects will realize there is more to gain by turning on him.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Interestingly, there was talk of this during Reagan's second term, when he began to show signs of intellectual decline (these may not have been readily apparent to the voting public, but they were apparently significant enough to disturb his advisors). While I understand the reluctance to invoke the 25th, what's been seen so far in Trump's behavior, thought processes, etc., is disturbing enough that it should definitely be considered.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I very much doubt that any of Trump's cabinet appointees would ever go along with this, for reasons already expressed by others here. Trump would have to be incapacitated by a stroke or something that would so clearly make it impossible for him to continue in the office. The lack of historical precedent is also a big obstacle.

Impeachment is the more likely scenario, but that won't be taken on easily. Nobody will want to do that until it becomes clear that there are enough votes in the Senate to convict. As of right now, that would require all the Democrats and 20 of the Republicans.

caw

caw