Querying Question

bmr1591

Registered
Reaction score
Over a year ago, I sent out query letters to a lot of agents, but no one bit. Not even a nibble actually. I finally got a good crit partner that helped me realize my story was utter crap. It was no wonder an agent wasn't interested. While my writing wasn't unreadable, it definitely belonged in the trash.

But I love my story and I know that what I had written didn't capture what I imagined, so I did a massive rewrite. Dialogue issues? Fixed that. Problematic setting? Checked off the list. Characters too young/not talking their age? Age them up and make them fit the YA category more successfully. Needless to say, my betas have been far more complementary this time around, with many asking when Book #2 is arriving. So this Summer, after tons of edits and revisions and changes, I want to begin querying the novel again.

Now the issue. Obviously, I sent a query out for this novel over a year ago to many agents. How do I approach querying now when it's been completely rewritten and improved? Do I mention that it's undergone a massive rewrite? Do I not say anything at all (if it was that forgetful, they probably wouldn't know any better, right?)? How do I approach this?

Thanks for any help you can give!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you've rewritten it to that extent -- like a true overhaul of the thing, not just edits -- and it's been over a year, you can probably requery without much trouble. I'd change the title and the focus of the query and call it a day.

If it was less of a rewrite, like you'd upaged a character and altered dialogue, I'd say maybe not, or more judiciously to agencies that have guildelines regarding, but if you really revamped the whole shebang and feel it's basically a new book within the same scaffolding if you will, and it's been over a year? I'd just ignore the old one unless someone specifically asks, and then say what you did, but yeah, I'd use a new title and refocused query and pretend that didn't happen.

Someone may come along and contradict me, but that's my take.

Last edited:

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I would change the title and not mention that you previously queried. Good luck!

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd just ignore the old one unless someone specifically asks, and then say what you did, but yeah, I'd use a new title and refocused query and pretend that didn't happen.

That's what I'd do, if your edits are really, really, really substantial. Bear in mind, though, that some agent, somewhere, WILL remember your previous query. If they ask you about it, be honest. Otherwise, I'd retitle and query anew.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Echoing what others have said. It would help a lot if you have a new title and a new, refocused query too.

I've requeried a novel after it went through massive rewrites. I did mention that it had undergone a rewrite, since I had just done Pitch Wars with it, and wanted to mention that in the query too. One agent called me on it, saying she remembered the pages from before and she still wasn't interested, but that was it. So be prepared that it might happen, but otherwise you should be fine.