Promotional Videos For Books

TaylorSaville

A Gritty, Delicate Elegy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taylorsaville.com
This is something I was super skeptical about, but it had been suggested to me a few times. I did not make any videos about my first book, "Jagged Mind", but I decided to make a little teaser, promo video for my upcoming fantasy book. I posted it on my social media and it did BETTER than the actual release of my previous novel. So, I made a full trailer for the new book that I'll post when the book comes out. Has anyone had success using book trailers for their books?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I have never bought a book because it had a good video trailer.

They only work in the same way as other promotional tools: they increase your book's visibility. This cumulative effect of all your efforts, plus the ease with which your potential readers can buy it, plus the quality of your writing, is what sells books. So yes, people can have success with trailers. But don't focus on them exclusively: look for a spread of efforts and tools which reach your target market, and whatever you do remember this: if you're going to do these things, do them well. Don't risk making yourself look amateurish or foolish by putting out a badly-done effort.

Bradley Shiner

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I am inclined to agree with Old Hack. If you were able to put it(on Youtube?) in a way (taking advantage of searching alghorytms bla bla) that would generate a lot of attention then surely it would increase your sales. However I am not sure whether it would be self-sufficient promo tool. Best