• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Colum McCann, advice on writing

Olde1649

Registered
Reaction score
Saturday's (British) Guardian included a long-ish piece by Colum McCann on how to be a writer.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...writer-colum-mccanns-tips-for-young-novelists

There are a lot of essays like this, aren't they? Like most of them, it includes some useful stuff. I particularly liked one quote from Somerset Maughan:

“There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.”

And also one from Samuel Beckett about failure and rejection:

“No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.”

I think I can manage to 'fail better'. Or at least I can work towards it.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I read this piece yesterday and enjoyed it. I considered posting it here - I'm glad you did. And yeah, like many of these essays, it doesn't necessarily cover new ground, but it says what it has to say in an engaging and dare I say even inspiring way.

If you like stuff like this, I recommend Dorothea Brande's Becoming a Writer, which I just read recently. It's a short little book and I found it delightfully inspiring and encouraging.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The best advice is what follows Maughan's quote and which says in essence - first, both know and understand established guidelines of grammar/formality/plot and structure or whatever... before choosing to ignore them.

Last edited:

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
All good stuff, but most of it applies to literary fiction, not commercial adventure fiction. With the latter you do need plots and you do not reinvent the act of writing every time.
While a Philip Roth may write 300 pages before realizing what the book is about and where it really starts, a Lee Child does no such thing. He uses a basic story structure and applies it mercilessly.
And in spite of King's whimsical quote there about plot being a crutch, most of his stuff has pretty clear plots of the TV film and drive in cinema type. In his case especially it rather means: "Do not rely on plot alone. Compensate pulp plots with developed characters and atmosphere."

Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
To me the language is pretentious and overly devoted to the would-be clever phrase. I kept having to skim and skip, put off by the style.

When I could bear to listen to his attempts to wax poetic rather than to speak clearly I found some good advice, and some idiotic advice. Eschew Google for libraries I consider idiotic. BOTH are useful, and the good researcher uses both, takes advantage of the strengths of each.

On the other hand his advice that plot should grow out of character resonates with me. I don't care how propulsive the plot is if I find the people involved disinteresting. The plot, the action, is wasted on me.

Of greater import for me is that the Guardian publishes pieces like this on the arts and on literature. I'd appreciate it if anyone in AW would point me to similar publications which I could reach on the Web. (I'm familiar with the NYTimes efforts but would appreciate more.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Of greater import for me is that the Guardian publishes pieces like this on the arts and on literature. I'd appreciate it if anyone in AW would point me to similar publications which I could reach on the Web. (I'm familiar with the NYTimes efforts but would appreciate more.)

Arts and Letters Daily is often useful and interesting. It's an aggregator.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Neither of the statements quoted in the OP are new, or unknown. You can find them on many sites quoting "writer's advice". Which doesn't make them bad, but just recycled and old.

caw

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Neither of the statements quoted in the OP are new, or unknown. You can find them on many sites quoting "writer's advice". Which doesn't make them bad, but just recycled and old.

As it happens, one of the things I like about the piece is that some of the ground it covers is familiar. It invites me to think about familiar ideas expressed in some evocative ways. (I mean, obviously quotations from Maugham and Beckett are not new. The piece contains somewhat more than quotations from long-dead writers. The quotations are jumping off points for thought, not the entirety of the piece.)

Last edited: