Latest White House Crisis: Reported Intelligence Blunder

Fabio_of_Mullets

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
That says a source who has reason to have a copy of the memo read the memo to the reporter.

It's the NYT, not Breitbart. They're not making shit up.

Anonymous source means a person whose identity has been well verified, and whose access to the information is clear and fairly unassailable, and who has proven pretty clearly the veracity of their information, but who does not want to be publicly identified. That's how journalism works. I does not mean the reporter made it up. It does not mean the reporter's editor doesn't know who the source is. It means it's a real person whose identity and knowledge has been checked, and who will not be identified, even if the reporter has to go to jail.

Ask Mark Feld.

You're correct. Breitbart lists their sources. So I need to just believe anything I read from them? I don't take anything for face value and come to all conclusions independently. If any hard evidence of wrong doing comes up I will believe it. Until the evidence emerges I will take this story for what it is - speculation and allegations with unconfirmed sources.

Here's examples of NYT being accused of flase reporting before :

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/02/out...he_dangerous_new_phase_in_the_ukraine_crisis/

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...er-of-record-fails-to-keep-the-record/399752/

JennTX

Registered
Reaction score
Again, nothing will come of this.

A week ago, I might have agreed with you. Under Trump, Republicans have no hope of getting anything done. Trump's misdeeds are dominating the news. It would actually be in their best interest to get rid of Trump and replace him with Pence. He would be able to push through what they want without the scandal. From what I can tell, Pence is pretty much innocent when it comes to the Russia connection.

Right now, Trump is only helping Democrats.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You're correct. Breitbart lists their sources. So I need to just believe anything I read from them? I don't take anything for face value and come to all conclusions independently. If any hard evidence of wrong doing comes up I will believe it. Until the evidence emerges I will take this story for what it is - speculation and allegations with unconfirmed sources.

Here's examples of NYT being accused of flase reporting before :

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/02/out...he_dangerous_new_phase_in_the_ukraine_crisis/

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...er-of-record-fails-to-keep-the-record/399752/

Breitbart makes stuff up, wholesale.

Is that a joke, the first link simply argues with the Times' reporters' characterization of events. That has zero to do with anything we're discussing. The second cites a single instance in which the paper acknowledged a source did not have the proper read on the event reported, printed a correction, investigated internal practices, and vowed to do better. Uh, how dare they? That's how journalists behave.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Breitbart makes stuff up, wholesale.

Is that a joke, the first link simply argues with the Times' reporters' characterization of events. That has zero to do with anything we're discussing. The second cites a single instance in which the paper acknowledged a source did not have the proper read on the event reported, printed a correction, investigated internal practices, and vowed to do better. Uh, how dare they? That's how journalists behave.

Yeah, but they got something wrong once, so we should never, ever trust them again. No siree.

From now on, I'm getting my news from reliable sources like the National Enquirer. Now THERE'S a publication that's never printed a retraction, which is clear proof they get everything right all the time.

:e2hammer:

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Heh, they actually have because they've lost libel suits.

You know, like the suit Breitbart settled with Shirley Sherrod.

Last edited:

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
A week ago, I might have agreed with you. Under Trump, Republicans have no hope of getting anything done. Trump's misdeeds are dominating the news. It would actually be in their best interest to get rid of Trump and replace him with Pence. He would be able to push through what they want without the scandal. From what I can tell, Pence is pretty much innocent when it comes to the Russia connection.

Right now, Trump is only helping Democrats.
More than that he's killing his own Presidency and the GOP agenda. He better learn how to be President - and right now - or he will go down in history as another failed President.

Fabio_of_Mullets

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
This might be the wrong thread but they all seem to be running together lately:
HIRONO: So if the Attorney General or senior officials at the Department of Justice opposes a specific investigation, can they halt that FBI investigation?

"COMEY: In theory yes.

HIRONO: Has it happened?

COMEY: Not in my experience. Because it would be a big deal to tell the FBI to stop doing something that -- without an appropriate purpose. I mean where oftentimes they give us opinions that we don't see a case there and so you ought to stop investing resources in it. But I'm talking about a situation where we were told to stop something for a political reason, that would be a very big deal. It's not happened in my experience."

From his congressional hearing on May 8, 2017

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1705/03/wolf.02.html

Sounds to me like this unidentified source may not be trustworthy.

Fabio_of_Mullets

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry, May 3, 2017. Long after alleged memo happened. And sorry I don't know how to do fancu quotes in boxes.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
More than that he's killing his own Presidency and the GOP agenda. He better learn how to be President - and right now - or he will go down in history as another failed President.

I totally agree with you on this, Gregg. We should all hope that Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan and a bunch of other GOP bigshots begin to catch on to this, as well.

caw

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
This might be the wrong thread but they all seem to be running together lately:
HIRONO: So if the Attorney General or senior officials at the Department of Justice opposes a specific investigation, can they halt that FBI investigation?

"COMEY: In theory yes.

HIRONO: Has it happened?

COMEY: Not in my experience. Because it would be a big deal to tell the FBI to stop doing something that -- without an appropriate purpose. I mean where oftentimes they give us opinions that we don't see a case there and so you ought to stop investing resources in it. But I'm talking about a situation where we were told to stop something for a political reason, that would be a very big deal. It's not happened in my experience."

From his congressional hearing on May 8, 2017

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1705/03/wolf.02.html

Sounds to me like this unidentified source may not be trustworthy.

Huh? Trump is neither the AG nor the DoJ.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not that this comes as much of a surprise. Israel has changed its intel sharing protocols with the US, thanks to President Blabs-A-Lot

Link

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
It's also being reported today that he blab-bragged to Duerte that we have two nuclear submarines in the waters off North Korea.

Trump told Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte Washington had "a lot of firepower over there", according to the New York Times, which quoted a transcript of an April 29 call between the two.

"We have two submarines — the best in the world. We have two nuclear submarines, not that we want to use them at all," the newspaper quoted Trump as telling Duterte, based on the transcript.

The report was based on a Philippine transcript of the call that was circulated on Tuesday under a "confidential" cover sheet by the Americas division of the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs.

Suffice it to say, the ex-Naval submariners I've seen commenting about the breach are not happy.

Last edited:

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
In the meantime, it's come to light that the butterball turkey has bragged classified info during his call with Duterte.

Trump told Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte Washington had "a lot of firepower over there", according to the New York Times, which quoted a transcript of an April 29 call between the two.

"We have two submarines — the best in the world. We have two nuclear submarines, not that we want to use them at all," the newspaper quoted Trump as telling Duterte, based on the transcript.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At this rate, this thread will be topical until there's a Democratic majority in Congress, or 45's term is up.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't want to start a new thread, this one will do. Latest was all the Kushner back channel communication with the Kremlin kerfuffle. That's worth a thread but things are moving too fast.

Now there is this report in USA Today: Trump's business network reached alleged Russian mobsters
To expand his real estate developments over the years, Donald Trump, his company and partners repeatedly turned to wealthy Russians and oligarchs from former Soviet republics — several allegedly connected to organized crime, according to a USA TODAY review of court cases, government and legal documents and an interview with a former federal prosecutor.

The president and his companies have been linked to at least 10 wealthy former Soviet businessmen with alleged ties to criminal organizations or money laundering.
I don't post this to pile on, it's getting seriously unsurprising to hear yet another connection to Russian oligarchs, mobsters and money laundering.

I post it because I hope this is a sign of the tide turning. At a minimum it might stall any more damaging legislation the GOP can get accomplished before we have a chance to make things right in the 2018 election.

Last edited: