typing i.e. on Scrivener

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
How is this done? It always autocorrects to capital I, even if I type ie then go and put the full stop in afterwards (it autocorrects to I as soon as the full stop is next to the i). I don't want to disable the lowercase to capital I autocorrect, because it does its intended purpose very well. (But I suppose I'll have to if there's no other way.)

Word will stop autocorrecting anything if you go back and change it a couple of times and it offers a drop down menu for autocorrect options. But Scrivener just keeps on changing it relentlessly. I can't seem to type i.e. at all.

Is there a way around this?

(Using the Windows version of Scrivener)

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only way I've found to do this (apart from disabling the lowercase to the capital I autocorrect) is to type i.e then go back and change the capital I for a lower case i. It's a pain, but I haven't found an easier way.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable will come along and enlighten us both. :)

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
If you are typing "i.e." so often that the autocorrect is driving you nuts, maybe you are overusing "i.e."

Good creative advice... but not everything I write in Scrivener is destined to be published. If it's just for me then overusing stuff isn't an issue. Also, I have very little patience with software... it doesn't take much of this kind of thing to get on my nerves. :greenie

Hopefully someone knows a workaround - if not I'll carry on changing the i to I at the end like muse suggested.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried Undo as soon as it happens? When Word does stuff like that, I denigrate its ancestors Ctrl-Z the autocorrect and continue on my merry way.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I've never understood buying expensive software for writing anyway.

I don't think Scrivener is expensive. I think I paid twenty-five quid or something for the windows version when it first came out. One can obtain concessionary rates for entering NANO, and there is a 30 day trial for people to check out whether it will suit them.

In answer to the OP, I would suggest you use substitutions.

Go to Tools > Options > Corrections

Click on Edit Substitutions

Press + and type I.e. in top field and i.e. in lower field

OK, Apply, Save

This worked for me. Sometimes the substitutions thing doesn't operate as one would expect. For instance I have had fun and games with "Mary", which I had set up to automatically capitalise, which worked fine, until I typed primary into the editor and got priMary. I eventually resolved this by using #my as the text to be substituted. You might try something similar if you hit a similar problem.

The Literature and Latte support forum is very helpful.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a way around this?

I don't use Scrivener, but I often find a useful kludge around similar problems in MS-Word, so try this:

Substitute for i.e. an easily-typed nonsense string which won't occur in normal writing (I commonly use "qqqq") for every usage of i.e. Then globally change that to "i.e." when you need to. If there's an option to "match case", as there is in Word, apply that.

caw

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. Will try them all. :Thumbs:

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I don't think Scrivener is expensive. I think I paid twenty-five quid or something for the windows version when it first came out. One can obtain concessionary rates for entering NANO, and there is a 30 day trial for people to check out whether it will suit them.

Obviously we have different definitions of "expensive." "Twenty-five quid" would buy a halvah lot of toilet paper, and that's a very high priority on my income of less than $500 a month.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have major problems with autocorrect on Scrivener, and ended up turning it off in the end. My problems are unique, and the creators of Scrivener could not figure out a solution or a cause behind them. In the end, it turned out that having autocorrect caused more problems than it fixed. So, here's my thoughts on your issue. If you have more difficulty with it automatically capitalizing "i.e." than you have instances of saving you from a lowercase "I" elsewhere, and you have the option to simply disable the capital I autocorrect instead of all autocorrect, why wouldn't you just do it?

I've never understood buying expensive software for writing anyway.

Not sure how this is intended to help the OP.

Last edited: