What do you write with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flarue

Dreaming of Waltzes & Fantasy Lands
Registered
Reaction score
I like to use my laptop because I can type quickly, but I usually scribble bits of dialogue and/or rough scenes in a notebook (and sometimes scrap paper, if I'm desperate) when I'm out of the house. As a kid, I had more patience with my stories and just filled notebook after notebook with stories, but now, I just find it easier to organize everything in a Word .doc right away.

Last edited:

Julia Joy

Registered
Reaction score
I always write my outlines/very rough drafts longhand in a notebook. It helps me focus and I find it's easier to ignore the internet when writing on my computer when I know exactly what I need to do.

emstar94

Registered
Reaction score
Use my computer but tend to get so distracted because - internet, so lately I've been writing everything on paper and getting it down on a word document later

EmilyEmily

Registered
Reaction score
I write on my beloved Macbook Air. I prefer my 11 inch; I have a 13 inch as well, but for some reason its screen reallllly hurts my eyes.

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
I write on my desktop computer for the most part, unless I'm at a coffee shop or a friend's house, in which case I use my laptop. For my writing software, I either use LibreOffice (short stories) or Scrivener (novels). My operating system on all my computers is Linux. I haven't paid for an OS in over a decade.

bin_b0x

Registered
Reaction score
Laptop and Microsoft Word.

I'd love to go the vintage route and live as some gown-wearing, cognac-loving reclusive man who lives in his study and has a love-hate relationship with his €200 typewriter, but the need for convenience in life precludes that sophisticated approach.

Plus, forget buying ink and paper all the time. Bleh.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Laptop, pen, paper... and it depends. Can be other things too if I really want to jot things down :D

JoB42

Registered
Reaction score
A notebook, usually a legal pad, and a pen. And on a laptop, but I have it set up like a workstation with a wireless keyboard and mouse, along with a larger monitor screen. I just use Word, but I hear great things about Scrivener. I also prefer to have music playing, but that usually comes in through the internet, and I've found that I'm far more productive if I'm not on the internet. One night a storm rolled through and the power went out for the entire evening. I didn't enjoy the loss of power, but I did find that my productivity jumped.

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I can hand-write as fast as I think.

Though translating those cuneiforms back into something legible later is best left to linguistic experts in the 31st century,

I use a Surface Pro 4. A "convertible" laptop. The ability to save multiple versions when I'm testing plotlines, etc, that's my primary reasoning for going digital.

Although this comes with a pen, which I use for very rough sketches. Or the aforementioned cuneiforms...

Ancoelle

Registered
Reaction score
Laptop with Scrivener. And if I have ideas throughout the day and I'm not around my computer, I text them to myself.

Andrey

Who, me?
Registered
Reaction score
A shack in the jungle on the flank of a volcano.
Website
www.andreysamode.com
I've tried a number of writing tools over the years:

28" iMac: Waaaaay to much screen glow. Great for design and video work. Awful for my writing flow. I feel like a deer in the headlights.

15" Macbook Pro: Still too big, although pretty good for editing, and great for organization with Scrivener.

10" Netbook with Pixel Qi screen: I did a lot of writing on this little beasty, but the transflective screen isn't as awesome as it sounds. Better than LCD, nowhere near as good as eInk.

AlphaSmart Neo: This digital typewriter is absolute magic. It does just one thing and it does it amazingly well. It just gets completely out of the way and allows my writing to flow. I was actually surprised how well I could edit on this once I learned the navigational shortcuts. 700+ hour battery life, great keyboard. The only issue is that I can't fit my entire novel into it. I have to work on several chapters at a time. A little inconvenience, but still best I've experienced.

My current setup is Neo + Scrivener on a Macbook. Kindle for reading through and making minor editorial notes. Notebook and pencil for sketches and flash cards for written scene-specific brainstorming when I want to be totally analog.

My ideal setup would be a little 7-10" eInk laptop with super long battery life and good writing software (or just bare bones linux, which I can customize to my heart's desire).

Pomera DM100 actually looks pretty interesting, but it has awkward Japanese layout that I just wouldn't bother with.

Last edited:

insolentlad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
insolentlad.com
For like thirty years I wrote everything first in pencil or ball point on loose-leaf paper and then rewrote it on typewriter—articles, poetry, my first novel. Now my preference is my desk computer with a wide screen (so I can have two documents open side by side) and a mechanical keyboard for that typewriter feel. Having said that, I end up writing a fair amount of stuff propped up in bed in the evening, working on a laptop. Incidentally, everything is written in Open Office these days.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on a few factors: (a) How long have I been sitting in front of this computer?, (b) What do I feel like writing with today? and (c) Do I need quick writing, or slow?

Usually to flips between pencil and paper, and a computer. And depending on the unconscious answers to the questions above (because i never answer them consciously) I will flip between the two. Or, I may go weeks without typing on my laptop. Or I may go weeks without writing with a pencil.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
laptop 9 times out of 10. I sometimes write on my phone, but it's not as easy. I'm a fast typer, and my vision problems make manual writing difficult.

Icarus_Burned

Registered
Reaction score
Whiteboards all the way, always have done most note taking and study this way since 1st year at University.

Random notes, quotes and witty comebacks are noted on my iphone usually, then slotted into project whiteboard. (currently have 7 in play, 2 in offices, 1 in shed and 4 in the house for various uses).

Actual drafting of text is done between 2 laptops, whichever one i tend to be using that daywith emails between to update.

Metruis

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.feedthemultiverse.com
I use a Macbook Pro, an ancient out of date one that won't even let me update my browser anymore. I do my writing in a combination of Scrivener and Focus Writer. The latter because it's a full screen with editable theming and the ability to set a code to sort chapters and scene breaks in a hidden sidebar, and it's tabbed, so I can make myself something pretty to ignore everything... it's my "gotta get this thing written" choice. Scrivener is my sorting choice, and it's what I put anything that needs to be organized, or has several kinds of notes... story building and editing, etc.

forsusan

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever I do is on a laptop computer. I never write anything on paper first. I use word2010.

A Guy

Registered
Reaction score
A computer of some sort, I'm with everyone else who types fast and thinks fast.

Not to mention it's SUPER easy to go through and edit little bits, which I do all the time, and works wonderfully for me. Then there's commenting, which is also very handy.

And if you guys aren't using OneNote to store all your word files, you might be missing out. HD crashes, switching computers, losing a USB... you're covered. And! You can share the notebook with your writing buddies across the world.

discodowney

Registered
Reaction score
I use a computer too. I store everything on Google Drive and I can access and edit stuff or take notes when Im on my phone travelling with nothing to do. So handy

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
A laptop and Scrivener. Occasionally, if I am stranded somewhere with time on my hands, I will use a notepad. I cannot work on my phone.

VeronicaDean

Registered
Reaction score
I use my laptop for my longer endeavors. Such as stories, Novels in the works, extensive poetry. But I always, ALWAYS, keep a notebook with me for sudden thoughts and inspiration. And honestly most of my best work comes from my notebook. I get the best ideas when I'm away from the computer.

Vampiredawn

Registered
Reaction score
I write with my desktop when at home and have time to spare. If I am out and about, I use my iPad. Both have Microsoft Word which makes it easy to work on the same document by having it on the cloud. I did try and write a book before on paper but with the amount of editing I do as I write, due to the fact that I read over parts before I get back to writing, it became problematic.

God I love technology, Where would the world be without it?

Status
Not open for further replies.