Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    figuring it all out
    I do both pen/paper and laptop. My laptop is getting up there in years so it can be annoying to lug it around. I also feel like handwriting things slows down my thoughts, and then I'm able to add in details when I transpose it into a word document.

practical experience, FTW Jan74's Avatar
    I keep about 3/4 journals with things I jot down in, sometimes I'll hand write an entire chapter or paragraph for later use and I keep lists of names, quotes, titles, characters etc in a spiral book. The writing itself is in word on my computer because then I can lock it. I'm extremely private about my writing while I'm writing.

"You fail only if you stop writing" ~Ray Bradbury~
    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs" ~Stephen King~
    WIP #1 Romance or Women's fiction, hopefully by the end I'll know.
    WIP #2 YA Paranormal/Urban Fantasy (on the back burner).
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." ~Mary Angelou~

practical experience, FTW cmi0616's Avatar
    I write on a Macbook using MS Word. I know people IRL who swear by the benefits of pencil and paper, but I've tried both and don't notice much of a difference either way, except that I tend to make a lot more syntactical and spelling mistakes when I type.
    Goodreads- let's be friends!
    [/COLOR][/FONT] [/FONT][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. Dracken View Post
    Because of these reasons I settled on pencil and paper because I'm somewhat committed to what I write but if I make a mistake too badly I can have the satisfaction of erasing entire paragraphs and writing over the resulting smudges.
    I write in pencil, but I rarely erase things. Sometimes I cross something out. If I make several attempts at something and things get hard to follow, then I'll erase the stuff I crossed out. That helps me find the thread later when I go back - my handwriting is really terrible and mostly I can't actually really read it that well, but the first version is mostly to figure out what things are. Once I've finished the story I review it, and the I mostly just write it again when I get to typing it into the computer. Mostly it's the same story, but sometimes I'll maybe flesh some part out more or trim some part down...
    すべての武器を楽器に
    Of all instruments of war, make instruments of music

Laptop--has to be laptop. Otherwise sometimes I will jot down notes on the Notes app (appropriately named!) on my iPhone

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin AnthonyDavid11's Avatar
    I used to write with pen and legal pads. I can still do that now, but I generally stick to my laptop. I've gotten so used to typing that my hand can't keep up with my brain. I'm churning out like 100 words a minute in my head but I can't write that fast. I'm not the best typist either but I'm much faster on the keyboard of course. So I go with the laptop.

I use PyRoom. It's just a background with no interface, no spell check, nothing.

figuring it all out Stephen Palmer's Avatar
    Word on a Mac.
    It couldn't possibly be any other way...

You're the grease monkey. Fruitbat's Avatar
    I think this is the proper section for this question as it is serious and involves the methods used by fellow writers. If I'm mistaken, please move the topic accordingly.

So the question, what does everyone use to write with and why?

I've written things directly on computer before but for some reason it feels too temporary and too easy to take back what I've written. At the same time using pen feels too permanent and I worry over if my train of thought is going anywhere.

Because of these reasons I settled on pencil and paper because I'm somewhat committed to what I write but if I make a mistake too badly I can have the satisfaction of erasing entire paragraphs and writing over the resulting smudges.

Hiw about everyone else?
    What you've described reminds me of how strange it was to switch from typewriter to computer way back when.

I usually write on a laptop but when I do write by hand, I've noticed that my writing tends to have an automatic different tone, more personal or something.
    Story Prompts That Work: 52 Detailed, Tested Story Starters for Short Stories and Flash Fiction (for Adults and Teens)
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...mpts+that+work

Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
    http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Flash-...0670797&sr=1-1

Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction:
    http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-House-L...fee+house+lies

Blog: http://carlyberg.com/

practical experience, FTW MaeZe's Avatar
    If I couldn't write using a word processor, I couldn't write. My brain doesn't write linearly.

Word and Scrivener currently, on a Macbook, in my favorite back yard space.
    Last edited by MaeZe; 07-07-2017 at 08:51 PM.

I use Scrivener on my iPad. I have a small keyboard folio that folds up for portability while giving me the keyboard I need and propping up my screen. It lets me write everywhere, and I find that the iPad keeps me from getting lost on the internet instead of writing. Sometimes Scrivener for iPad can be hard on the formatting side, though, so I use my laptop for extensive revisions, moving things, etc. My laptop is getting old and slow, though, so I try to avoid using it when possible.

I use my phone and Google Keep if I have ideas in the middle of the night or when I don't have writing tools with me, or Google Docs if I have to write actual text.

I conjure familiar spirits through a several hour long ritual to imprint the paper with their essence in order to portray the truest story that lies within my soul.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Scrivener helps, and lots of mini pocket sized notebooks.
    Sera needs you! [YA dystopian fantasy]

Follow this link to Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072MRC157

I use WriteWay Pro on a desktop and laptop computer. I also scribble down ideas on a small spiral notebook and a notepad program on my android phone.

MS Word on an elderly desktop PC with a very nice keyboard and monitor, which are the only bits of it I care about. I like nice pens but writing by hand sets off my arthritis after fifteen minutes or so.
    Facebook Twitter Website

You donít have to believe in something to bump into it in a dark alley.

practical experience, FTW LeftyLucy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lianna williamson View Post
    I do all of my actual drafting in Scrivener on my laptop, but when I get stuck I pull out a notebook and work out the solution on paper.
    This is me, exactly.

In addition to solving tricky plot holes, I'll also work out things like genealogies with pencil and paper. I really like the tidiness of graph paper and even when I'm just making notes or working on a solution longhand, I'll do it on graph paper.

I do the creative writing with a pen and paper (purple or black ink; paper pad with a design of clouds on a blue background), then enter what I have written into an .rtf in Open Office. Once on the computer, I make any deletions/additions/expansions to what I have just written. Once I am done with that section, I go back to pen and paper for the next creative bit. Rinse/repeat. When I need to edit the manuscript, I print it out and edit the hard copy, then transfer those edits to the computer file.

The design on the paper pads I am using is no longer made. When I discovered the company had discontinued it, I emailed the company and ordered the stock they had left. I am envisioning a creative crisis when I run out of this paper.
    "The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
    Michelangelo

"You don't need thick skin, you just need perseverance." leifwright

practical experience, FTW Laurasaurus's Avatar
    Oh no! My paper and pens have to be just right too. I'm very fussy.
    Although, when I don't have my notebook with me, apparently I'm just fine scribbling on the back of a receipt with a random biro.
    Contemporary novel Northwest of Normal out now

Here's gratitude for the laptop!

...on computer before but for some reason it feels too temporary and too easy to take back what I've written. At the same time using pen feels too permanent and I worry over if my train of thought is going anywhere.
    I keep a notebook for anything that I need to view while I'm writing (I can't stand trying to work with the screen split. I have to do that at my paying job.) The entries in my notebook are things such as my description of characters and the tracking of time.

My actual writing is on a laptop (though I have been known to jot down an idea on paper when away from electronics). On my computer, I have a special document where I bury all my "little darlings" in the event that I want to resurrect one at any time. Although I've never done so, it makes killing those precious babies MUCH easier. I also like having the ability to cut and paste entire scenes into the sequel manuscript if needed. I've often wondered to myself, "How did anyone ever get anything finished on a manual typewriter?"

Besides, I'm a secretary by day. I type much faster than I could pen anything.

Write in pen - in cursive - on various notebooks, then type up that on the lappy. The typing up what I've already written longhand counts as my first editing pass. Also, if I don't have my laptop or notebooks with me for some reason, I write in emails and send them to myself, to paste into a Word Doc later.
    BETA-ING: Cave Draconem (YA urban fantasy), 57k words
    WIP: What The Rain Brought In (horror), 10,000 words
    WIP: Devil's Bridge (space opera), 20k

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.dreamwidth.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12