Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Okay okay okay, so technically the book launched on April 25th, but I was on tour for it at the time and then when I got back I was so wrapped up with the launch party that I have had very little time to actually post here and share with you all! So I am finally doing it today! :)

Guys!! In my 10th year of being a published author my 6th book is out! I can hardly believe I've published 6 books, and even more so that it's been 10 whole years! And I'm so so so so happy to be back writing Middle Grade. I love all the other markets too, but middle grade is where my heart is and it just makes me so happy.

So yes! THE_EXPLORERS: THE_DOOR_IN_THE_ALLEY is out! I'm nervous, I'm happy, I'm excited, I'm scared. I'm hoping people enjoy it, I hope reluctant readers find their way to it, and mostly I just hope people have as much fun reading it as I did writing it.

Here's the cover:

843b05b0-7e70-4005-9b49-ddbcaee1d997_zps4elnugf5.jpg

Here's the Kirkus review for it which I think describes what the story is about better than any blurb I've managed to come up with:

A boy used to predictability joins forces with a girl who wants to belong in this wildly funny adventure.

STEM genius Sebastian lives a perfectly appropriate life, but when he accidentally goes the wrong way down a creepy alley on the way home from school, he winds up at The_Explorers_Society, where order is turned upside down and backward. When the society’s president tells Sebastian to do something “inappropriate” as part of his punishment for trespassing, he steals a mysterious box from the society’s archives. Subsequently, he’s flung into the unexpected, where he meets orphan Evie, who has lived within the gray walls of the Wayward School since her parents died two years earlier. Her boring weekly dinners with the charitable Andersons take an unboring turn when two clearly villainous men show up looking for something.

Before the kids know it, they’ve gone from strangers to friends working together to work out the fate of the Filipendulous_Five, a famous group of explorers that mysteriously disbanded years ago and to whom Evie has a personal connection. Animals in teeny hats, Wonderland-style logic, and loads of wordplay and sarcasm will keep readers giggling all the way through to the dramatic—and metafictive—cliffhanger.

Readers will look forward to the sequel to this dizzying loop-the-loop.

And here is a collage of me reading from it at my launch - I call it: The Many Expressions of Adrienne.

fa082963-9b91-4c37-b259-8923300efdd2_zpsvj0izmiq.jpg

Thank you all here so much as ever for your over a decade of support and encouragement. This place has become such a part of my life. I'm here pretty much every day (even if I'm not commenting every day), it's part of my routine, it's part of what keeps me sane. And I just . . . well thank you. Just. Thank you. <3

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
High five, sister!

Sara K.

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! I really love that cover - it's very eye-catching! I'll pick it up if I see it in the stores :)

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Looks great :D

RJDrake

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my that sounds jut like a dream life! The tour, the launch and that beautiful book cover! And let's not forget to mention how lovely you look while reading our your book. :)
Congratulations!

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Thank you guys all so much! I really really appreciate the support! And thank you for the lovely compliments! I'll be honest that normally I dread seeing pics of me reading because I always have the largest craziest expressions and it can look . . . well . . . crazy. But this time I was lucky that a friend who came also is a professional photographer and he managed to capture looks that while enthused weren't too bizarre. I really love those pics :) .

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Congratulations! :partyguy: The book cover is fab, and I love how you entered into the spirit of the book at your launch with your ready-for-adventure explorer's attire - so fun! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.