Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: THE_EXPLORERS is out!!!

THE EXPLORERS is out now!! Toothpaste's Avatar

THE_EXPLORERS is out!!!

Okay okay okay, so technically the book launched on April 25th, but I was on tour for it at the time and then when I got back I was so wrapped up with the launch party that I have had very little time to actually post here and share with you all! So I am finally doing it today!

Guys!! In my 10th year of being a published author my 6th book is out! I can hardly believe I've published 6 books, and even more so that it's been 10 whole years! And I'm so so so so happy to be back writing Middle Grade. I love all the other markets too, but middle grade is where my heart is and it just makes me so happy.

So yes! THE_EXPLORERS: THE_DOOR_IN_THE_ALLEY is out! I'm nervous, I'm happy, I'm excited, I'm scared. I'm hoping people enjoy it, I hope reluctant readers find their way to it, and mostly I just hope people have as much fun reading it as I did writing it.

Here's the cover:

Here's the Kirkus review for it which I think describes what the story is about better than any blurb I've managed to come up with:

A boy used to predictability joins forces with a girl who wants to belong in this wildly funny adventure.

STEM genius Sebastian lives a perfectly appropriate life, but when he accidentally goes the wrong way down a creepy alley on the way home from school, he winds up at The_Explorers_Society, where order is turned upside down and backward. When the society’s president tells Sebastian to do something “inappropriate” as part of his punishment for trespassing, he steals a mysterious box from the society’s archives. Subsequently, he’s flung into the unexpected, where he meets orphan Evie, who has lived within the gray walls of the Wayward School since her parents died two years earlier. Her boring weekly dinners with the charitable Andersons take an unboring turn when two clearly villainous men show up looking for something.

Before the kids know it, they’ve gone from strangers to friends working together to work out the fate of the Filipendulous_Five, a famous group of explorers that mysteriously disbanded years ago and to whom Evie has a personal connection. Animals in teeny hats, Wonderland-style logic, and loads of wordplay and sarcasm will keep readers giggling all the way through to the dramatic—and metafictive—cliffhanger.

Readers will look forward to the sequel to this dizzying loop-the-loop.
    And here is a collage of me reading from it at my launch - I call it: The Many Expressions of Adrienne.

Thank you all here so much as ever for your over a decade of support and encouragement. This place has become such a part of my life. I'm here pretty much every day (even if I'm not commenting every day), it's part of my routine, it's part of what keeps me sane. And I just . . . well thank you. Just. Thank you. <3

Never Surrender AW Moderator Maryn's Avatar
    High five, sister!
    Get to work. Success isn't built on the power of your dreams.

Brick by Brick, a mιnage ΰ trois novel
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

It's just a jump to the left... SWest's Avatar

EXTRA BANANA EDITION

ebooks & stuff Twitter
    Blog
    It's Bad To Be The Favorite - 9/15/14

Wish Me Away

Ours is characteristically the kind of if-it-isn't-this-it-has-to-be-that, dichotomized, either/or thinking that philosophers from earlier times have cautioned can lead to a simplistic misreading of reality. And, indeed, psychologists today have discovered it is the mark of a lower or less psychologically evolved stage of cognitive and emotional development. - Riane Eisler

I couldn't be here in spirit, so I came in person. - Red Buttons

practical experience, FTW Sara K.'s Avatar
    Congrats! I really love that cover - it's very eye-catching! I'll pick it up if I see it in the stores

Congratulations! Looks great

Making Einstein cry since 1994 Maggie Maxwell's Avatar
    Just for the record, you're adorable in that costume, and that cover is still fantastic. Congratulations on the release, and may the sales be ever in your favor!
    The insane who believe they are sane are crazy. The sane who know they are insane are writers.

The 2017 Beta Project - Crits Open June 2nd

Blog (updated 05/08/17)| Twitter | Pinterest | Wattpad

Oh, my that sounds jut like a dream life! The tour, the launch and that beautiful book cover! And let's not forget to mention how lovely you look while reading our your book.
    Congratulations!

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

for the book, the career and looking good in the photos.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
    "The only freedom any of us ever has is the freedom to choose how we will not be free."

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid Fuchsia Groan's Avatar
    YAY!!!! So many congrats. This sounds charming and hilarious. And those shots from your reading are freaking perfect!
    YA thriller The K1ller in M3, out now from D1sn3y-Hyper1on

"Taut storytelling and believable characters make this a standout mystery" — Publishers Weekly (starred review)

Website | Twitter | Goodreads

First lily of summer AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    Congratulations!

THE EXPLORERS is out now!! Toothpaste's Avatar
    Thank you guys all so much! I really really appreciate the support! And thank you for the lovely compliments! I'll be honest that normally I dread seeing pics of me reading because I always have the largest craziest expressions and it can look . . . well . . . crazy. But this time I was lucky that a friend who came also is a professional photographer and he managed to capture looks that while enthused weren't too bizarre. I really love those pics .

Freshly caught writing bug lives! Netz's Avatar
    The view from my stained glass window suggests by a moonlit lake someplace...
    Congratulations! The book cover is fab, and I love how you entered into the spirit of the book at your launch with your ready-for-adventure explorer's attire - so fun!
    Quest Seekers blog / Twitter

...if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches.
    - William Goldman, The Princess Bride

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    - Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

Congratulations!
    -- Myrea
    "When it comes down to it it’s always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, it’s won. Don’t let the page win."
    Alasdair Stewart

Congrats to you!!!!
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter Articles and writing tips for YA, inspirational quotes for writers and cats

FIX ME Goodreads Giveaway

Want to read FIX ME right now?

Hurray! The cover is gorgeous. I'm so glad for you!

Website/blog: The Beauty of Words
    Twitter: @CathleenTowns

Congrats. Best of luck with it.