Something to Say, and Writing True

Status
Not open for further replies.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
“You don’t write because you want to say something, you write because you have something to say.”- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Sometimes when I was starting a new story and I could not get it going, I would sit in front of the fire and squeeze the peel of the little oranges into the edge of the flame and watch the sputter of blue that they made. I would stand and look out over the roofs of Paris and think, “Do not worry. You have always written before and you will write now. All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.” So finally I would write one true sentence, and then go on from there. It was easy then because there was always one true sentence that I knew or had seen or had heard someone say. If I started to write elaborately, or like someone introducing or presenting something, I found that I could cut that scrollwork or ornament out and throw it away and start with the first true simple declarative sentence I had written. --Ernest Hemingway
Passion in writing is not enough. Having something worthy to say is really important. --Lee Smith

This is going to sound like a really silly question, I think. Or, rather, series of questions. But, as a person who feels blank and empty quite a lot, it's often on my mind...

So, here goes:

In terms of writing fiction, what does it mean to have something to say? Or something worthy, even? And what does it mean to write true?

Do you need to know what your "something to say" is before putting pen to paper (or, yanno, keystroke to blank document, etc)? Do you feel this before you write, as you write, construct your story around it...discover it after you write? Is it simple, is it complex? Is it something flocculent in you that will out in an equally flocculent manner, or is it a clearer bell that rings throughout?

What would be an untrue sentence, in Hemingway's quote? What would be the true sentence? In creative fiction, can you write dishonestly, or "untrue"?

( *shines direct fluorescent light on all your faces* WHERE WERE YOU ON THE NIGHT OF EUROVISION)

(are there enough questions in this post yet)

(heh)

(*awkward*)

Last edited:

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
If I think about it as being, I HAVE TO WRITE SOMETHING THAT IS MEANINGFUL FOR GENERATIONS AND AFFECTS THE WORLD!!! ...which is how I can't help but interpret it as a lot of the time, then my stuff starts feeling stupid and inane and like so much clutter in an already cluttered world.

So instead--and maybe this is a more accurate interpretation of those quotes--I tell myself that I have to write with feeling and curiosity. Feeling, because it is "not untrue" if it is sincere feeling. Curiosity, because if I have an Idea, I don't need to tell it, I need to explore it.

But I don't always need an Idea. Sometimes I just want to tell a rippin' good story, and maybe an Idea comes out of it, or it doesn't.

(*squints*)

(*lawyers up*)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You know Hemingway and Fitzgerald were drunk a lot, right?

:e2drunk:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, golly. Those are deep questions. I'm on a bit steadier ground wrt Hemingway, though. Hemingway didn't go in for excessive ornamentation in writing; he was rather derisive when speaking of authors who did. His works contain simplicity of expression (aesthetics) and what he truly felt, knew, or believed (ethics). To him, as seen by his works, writing a true sentence meant writing what is within you (what you know, what you feel, what you believe) in the simplest, most straightforward way possible.

"Having something to say" doesn't mean only writing about earth-shattering or world-changing topics—or, at least, it doesn't mean that to me. Every story has a theme, planned or not. Suppose you have a new take on a very old theme. Heck, you could have the 188,000th take on the theme "the course of true love never did run smooth" and it still be worth saying.

Write your story as honestly and as simply as you can.

Also, what cornflake said. :greenie

Last edited:

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
1. Fitzgerald's quote seems kind of idealistic.
But for me, it's less about only writing meaningful words, and more about showing ONLY the meaningful words to someone else.
I go to a lot of writing groups/workshops, and I always cringe when someone says, "I'm not working on anything right now, but if you'd like... I could bring in this story a wrote a couple years ago." Inwardly, I'm like, NO. PLEASE GOD, NO.
The way they say this has nothing to do with politeness, or false modesty. It's not like that one photographer lady who took awesome B&W photographs and stuffed them in a trunk for like fifty years. She had something to say, she just chose not to say it. These stories, however, have a one-in-a-million chance of being somewhat good. Lots of people are just filling in time, to participate.
You can always tell though, with writers. When they're *dying* to show you a story. Then I'm like, sure. Bring it on.
But you can't always write only meaningful words. Not if you write with any regularity. Some days, we practically drown in our own drivel. But have the good sense not to make someone else wade through it.

2. I've always sort of liked that Hemingway quote.
To me, he's talking about a sentence where you can roll it around in your head, and be like, "Yeah, this is pretty good." It feels beyond reproach. You read it and don't think anyone will argue with it. That's always a good to start, or a place to retreat, should you find yourself getting caught in a lie. The truth will rarely lead you astray.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
To me, I think it just means write with authenticity. Give writing all your heart and be genuine about it. When you force something it will sound contrived and readers will instantly pick up on it.

You can write anything in the world, but it should be written with your true feelings. I think if your writing is flowing easily, that's a sure sign it's with true feeling.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... In terms of writing fiction, what does it mean to have something to say? Or something worthy, even? And what does it mean to write true?

Do you need to know what your "something to say" is before putting pen to paper...? Do you feel this before you write, as you write, construct your story around it...discover it after you write? Is it simple, is it complex? Is it something flocculent in you that will out in an equally flocculent manner, or is it a clearer bell that rings throughout?
I think it's all of the above. I'm a bit afraid to discuss this because I've never been one for recognizing all the themes within many of the books I've read. So let me say ahead of time, I miss a lot when I read.

I fall in love with some book worlds and can't get enough of them. Themes or messages in them take many forms. Good fiction only needs to take you into its world and have you enjoy it. Themes might reflect on society, but to variable degrees. Or there might be nothing more than escapism. I can't recall many romance novels I've read that had anything wider than personal drama within them (though there may be many out there). And who's to say personal drama is not a worthy thing to write about?

I'm sure there were all kinds of meanings in the Hyperion Cantos, but I can't tell you what they were. I loved the story regardless.

Of the three Paolo Bacigalupi books I've read, they've varied from The Doubt Factory which built a fun adventure around a single issue to The WaterKnife that was, in my opinion, an important work dealing with the upcoming commercialization of water rights in a world where looming water shortages are a reality. Race, poverty, privilege, and there was more to say right up to the end. The Windup Girl had a completely different 'something to say'.

Do Agatha Christie novels have a deeper meaning? I don't think so. There were social themes touched on in Sherlock Holmes books, but the books were about solving the mystery.

I'm motivated to write because I do have something to say. It started as a vague concept and only as my story unfolded did it come into better focus. I don't know if I'll be successful or influence anyone or have anything that holds up over time. It doesn't matter. I've written a book that I wanted to write. That's what matters.

Lisa Cron's blog and books on writing might be helpful on this subject. They were for me. http://wiredforstory.com/

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I often think of that Hemingway quote. To me it means, start with one true thing and it will be a lot more difficult to not be truthful throughout the entire MS. As far as overall theme, I haven't, so far, thought about theme until after the first draft or pretty far into it, when I start to see what the story might illustrate, or elucidate regarding the human condition. Until then, I'm just trying to write a coherent story. Then, I go back through on revisions and now, knowing what the story might say or mean, I carve out the finer details with that in mind, along with everything else like story and character arcs, making sure the voice is consistent, that kind of thing. But I do like that Hemingway quote. I think it's a good way to go in.

Ed_in_Bed

Registered
Reaction score
I never feel I have anything to say before starting a story. I just have one scene (or one piece of dialogue) in my head and 'write around it'. Sometimes a deeper theme emerges, mostly it doesn't.

IMO, it's blindingly obvious when a writer builds a story around something they want to say. It immediately feels contrived and allegorical. My advice would be to just write story and ice the cake with message/theme/subtext/fancy stuff in the later drafts.

Ed

Jack Judah

Lost somewhere on the Nile
Registered
Reaction score
In terms of writing fiction, what does it mean to have something to say? Or something worthy, even? And what does it mean to write true?

People sometimes equate great fiction writing to an act of exhibitionism. If true writing is letting it all hang out for the world to see, untrue writing is the exact opposite: it's hiding under layers of clothes and a ski mask, while hiding in a dark room with a locked door.

What Hemingway and Fitzgerald are ultimately talking about (and when those two agree on anything it's worth paying attention to) is honesty to oneself. "To thine own self be true" isn't just a line from a decent old play, it should be the writer's mantra. We imagine stories, we create worlds, we people those worlds with characters, and then, based on rules and constructs we've created from our innate beliefs, our breadth of personal experience, and our most cherished philosophies, we let them loose on the page. Writing untruthfully is using somebody else's rule book for our story worlds.

What would be an untrue sentence, in Hemingway's quote? What would be the true sentence? In creative fiction, can you write dishonestly, or "untrue"?

An untrue sentence is a sentence crafted for consumption rather than communication. It's the literary equivalent of blowing smoke up your reader's ass. It's made of words chosen to please rather than evoke, conveying actions tailored to reader or societal expectation rather than one's own vision. In short, it's "selling out."

A true sentence, on the other hand, is a solid declaration to the reader: "This is how I see the world. This is the story I have to tell. This is me. Take us as we are or be damned."

Not only is it possible to write dishonestly, it's seductively easy. So easy, in fact, that most of us do it, and often. Ever tone down something for fear of how it might come across? Then you may have lied to your reader. Ever change a character's actions because you worried about how they might come off? Then you may have lied to your reader. Ever tell a different story than the one you wanted to, because the one you wanted to tell didn't fit the "mold" or might ruffle some feathers? Then you may have lied to your reader. Every bow to a convention you don't hold with, every genuflection to a popular opinion you disagree with, every sacrifice on the altar of "accessibility," is ultimately a lie to your reader. Little white lies are necessary in fiction as they are in life. Sometimes bigger lies are required, too. But tell too many of them, and you go from an honest writer telling the occasional fib to a dishonest writer who occasionally flirts with the truth.

( *shines direct fluorescent light on all your faces* WHERE WERE YOU ON THE NIGHT OF EUROVISION)

Killing Colonel Mustard in the Library with a Colt .45.

Last edited:

T.D. Dracken

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking as someone who hasn't been a voracious reader ever before and who has only been pursuing writing for a relatively short time now, I may have a different perspective than some.

I think the gist of it is to be true to yourself. If you are genuine and writing what is in your heart it will show through in what you write. It will make your work stand out when compared to people that are just writing to write.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking as someone who hasn't been a voracious reader ever before and who has only been pursuing writing for a relatively short time now, I may have a different perspective than some.

I think the gist of it is to be true to yourself. If you are genuine and writing what is in your heart it will show through in what you write. It will make your work stand out when compared to people that are just writing to write.

Sure, same as those singing "what's in their hearts" will stand out compared to those singers who stand around on Broadway stages every night singing for filthy lucre.

Jack Judah

Registered
Reaction score
Sure, same as those singing "what's in their hearts" will stand out compared to those singers who stand around on Broadway stages every night singing for filthy lucre.

To me, this implies that commercial success requires abject conformity. Which, while true to a point, fails to recognize that one can write for the masses without writing insincerely. Look at the titans of the bookshelves today. Almost every one of them has a unique voice, regardless of their commercial success. The ones that have staying power, who keep showing up on the bestseller lists, whose new books are always welcome in the front window of the brick and mortars, they got there precisely because they stood out from the crowd, not because they blended in and didn't make waves.

Can you attain commercial success without an authentic voice? Sure, to an extent. You can earn a living, you can even make a (brief) name in the industry. But there's success, and then there's aspiring-authors-quoting-your-advice-on-a writing-forum-more-than-half-a-century-after-your-death success. If you want the latter, all indications suggest authenticity is the only option.

Last edited:

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
"Having something to say" doesn't mean only writing about earth-shattering or world-changing topics—or, at least, it doesn't mean that to me. Every story has a theme, planned or not. Suppose you have a new take on a very old theme. Heck, you could have the 188,000th take on the theme "the course of true love never did run smooth" and it still be worth saying.

Well said.

This is what I take it to mean. I think of something Jonathan Franzen said (I know, I know, but bear with me) in the Harper's essay from way back when:

Writing is a form of personal freedom. It frees us from the mass identity we see in the making all around us. In the end, writers will write not to be outlaw heroes of some underculture but mainly to save themselves, to survive as individuals.

Both as a reader and a writer, the stuff that feels most alive to me is stuff that doesn't tackle big social or philosophical issues, but fiction that simply renders a portrait of another human consciousness in full.

Probably the least abstract way I can put it is this: what feels "true" about the books that I love is that I come away from them with a sense of genuine connection, with the author and with her characters.

What feels "untrue" is perhaps more difficult to account for. But maybe it's like this: you ever have a dream where something in the dreamscape is just a little off, and in your dream you realize "oh, this is just a dream?" That's what untrue writing feels like to me. You can't fully enter the world of the story because there's something or other that serves as a reminder that this is just a dream.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IMO, it's blindingly obvious when a writer builds a story around something they want to say. It immediately feels contrived and allegorical. My advice would be to just write story and ice the cake with message/theme/subtext/fancy stuff in the later drafts.

Ed
Perhaps because when a writer does a poor job, it's glaringly obvious, but if done well it shouldn't necessarily stand out like that.

T.D. Dracken

Registered
Reaction score

Not necessarily. My view is that if something is written to be sensational it may recieve success but like any fad it will pass away and be forgotten.

From all I've heard and read Tolken very much wrote from the heart and was sharing a story very close to him. Apparently he enjoyed talking and sharing about his lore so much that people would do things like jokingly say, "Oh, he's talking about the elves again."

This shows through in the Lord of the Rings and it's gone on to be one of the most enduring and well loved series of all time. Fifty years from now it's almost guaranteed that it could still be found on shelves when even the likes of Clancy may have vanished.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
To me, this implies that commercial success requires abject conformity. Which, while true to a point, fails to recognize that one can write for the masses without writing insincerely. Look at the titans of the bookshelves today. Almost every one of them has a unique voice, regardless of their commercial success. The ones that have staying power, who keep showing up on the bestseller lists, whose new books are always welcome in the front window of the brick and mortars, they got there precisely because they stood out from the crowd, not because they blended in and didn't make waves.

Can you attain commercial success without an authentic voice? Sure, to an extent. You can earn a living, you can even make a (brief) name in the industry. But there's success, and then there's aspiring-authors-quoting-your-advice-on-a writing-forum-more-than-half-a-century-after-your-death success. If you want the latter, all indications suggest authenticity is the only option.

I don't know how that's what you got from that, as it had nothing to do with conformity, in any way. I'm honestly baffled by the connection you're finding there. I was not suggesting conformity, or that writers shouldn't have their own voices.

Not necessarily. My view is that if something is written to be sensational it may recieve success but like any fad it will pass away and be forgotten.

From all I've heard and read Tolken very much wrote from the heart and was sharing a story very close to him. Apparently he enjoyed talking and sharing about his lore so much that people would do things like jokingly say, "Oh, he's talking about the elves again."

This shows through in the Lord of the Rings and it's gone on to be one of the most enduring and well loved series of all time. Fifty years from now it's almost guaranteed that it could still be found on shelves when even the likes of Clancy may have vanished.

Not writing "what's in their hearts" has a lot of alternatives besides writing to be sensational.

Yes, Tolkein loved his story deeply. Lots of very successful writers (by any measure) have not sat around going on about their characters to people, or felt they were sharing parts of their souls or other similar things. Don''t get me wrong -- if you do, you do; do what works for you. I'm objecting to the idea that those just "writing to write" are somehow lesser than, or that their work is less in comparison, because they don't think of their writing as some deep, soul-based thing. Same as people singing on B'way eight shows a week are not singing what's in their hearts, but they sure can fucking sing, and people pay a load to hear it.

Jack Judah

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how that's what you got from that, as it had nothing to do with conformity, in any way. I'm honestly baffled by the connection you're finding there. I was not suggesting conformity, or that writers shouldn't have their own voices.

You know what? I totally misread that. Somehow, I read it as "if you want to get paid, you sing what they tell you to, how they tell you to, when they tell you to. Otherwise, enjoy your hobby." All of which interpretation says loads about how good a mood I was in this morning, but very little about the comment you actually made.

If I apologize, will you let me write this off as a case of dreaded Monday-itis? :rolleyes:

Not writing "what's in their hearts" has a lot of alternatives besides writing to be sensational...I'm objecting to the idea that those just "writing to write" are somehow lesser than, or that their work is less in comparison. . .Same as people singing on B'way eight shows a week are not singing what's in their hearts, but they sure can fucking sing, and people pay a load to hear it.

Here I go getting into other people's conversations again. I think this is where we talked past each other above, though. Maybe if I explain myself, we'll get on the same page.

For me, we're back to conformity vs. authenticity here when terms like "truth" and "from the heart" come into play. One can take unoriginal material and present it with personal authenticity. Hell, that's basically the starting point for all art. No new ideas, just new presentations.

Broadway's not my thing, but I'm partial to Opera, so I'll use Opera singers as an example. Those folks we pay months worth of our salaries to hear sing very old and very tired music. . .we aren't paying to hear the songs (not most of us). We're paying to hear THEIR unique version of that music. Ultimately, we're paying to hear their voice. Not just the sound, but what's behind it. And the people we pay most to hear? Those who wrap themselves in their material, who feel it, know it and belt it out straight from the heart. It's not about talent either. There are singers out there who can attain technical perfection, yet never seem to understand what they're singing about. And then there are rougher singers whose voices reach down your throat, grab you by the guts, and hold you in thrall.

Reminds me of what my old piano teacher was fond of harping at her more proficient students: "You make no mistakes. But it no good without feeling. So again. With feeling this time! With feeling! Or go home."

That's all I was getting at above. It isn't what you're writing, it's HOW you write it. True writing is writing with feeling. It's not about genre, or style, or sensationalism. It's about remembering the only thing truly unique we can bring to our readers is ourselves. And then it's about having the guts to do that.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Heh, yeah, I was just chafing at the 'real/good writing is your personal tortured truth from your heart/the depths of your soul' thing. If someone feels that way, fine, but it's not a necessity to produce good, or successful work.

buz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So instead--and maybe this is a more accurate interpretation of those quotes--I tell myself that I have to write with feeling and curiosity. Feeling, because it is "not untrue" if it is sincere feeling. Curiosity, because if I have an Idea, I don't need to tell it, I need to explore it.

Exploration...I like this, yes. It is still something to say, just not a statement. :) I think this is a worthy thing, indeed.

But I don't always need an Idea. Sometimes I just want to tell a rippin' good story, and maybe an Idea comes out of it, or it doesn't.

Haha, okay. Let me ask, though--how do you construct the stories? I mean, for me personally, I think of the little nugget of an idea ("what if blahblah") and then try to add conflict to make a plot out of it--that's all fine, right--but then when it comes to characters and their arcs, how they change or how they change things, I start to run up against this..."something to say" thing. I mean, can you escape saying something, even if you don't mean to?

I don't have a particular defined opinion but...just wondering :)

You know Hemingway and Fitzgerald were drunk a lot, right?

Ah, sure. Forget everything they ever said or wrote then :)

To be fair, this "something to say" thing was something I first saw somewhere on AW, and kept hearing about elsewhere, but I couldn't remember where or dig up a source for it, so. Went searching for something concrete to point to. :)

Oh, golly. Those are deep questions. I'm on a bit steadier ground wrt Hemingway, though. Hemingway didn't go in for excessive ornamentation in writing; he was rather derisive when speaking of authors who did. His works contain simplicity of expression (aesthetics) and what he truly felt, knew, or believed (ethics). To him, as seen by his works, writing a true sentence meant writing what is within you (what you know, what you feel, what you believe) in the simplest, most straightforward way possible.

This makes sense, at least with respect to Hemingway's style--and I do like the bit about a theme, planned or not. Something to say does not, I suppose, have to be something *new* to say. :)

1. Fitzgerald's quote seems kind of idealistic.
But for me, it's less about only writing meaningful words, and more about showing ONLY the meaningful words to someone else.
I go to a lot of writing groups/workshops, and I always cringe when someone says, "I'm not working on anything right now, but if you'd like... I could bring in this story a wrote a couple years ago." Inwardly, I'm like, NO. PLEASE GOD, NO.
The way they say this has nothing to do with politeness, or false modesty. It's not like that one photographer lady who took awesome B&W photographs and stuffed them in a trunk for like fifty years. She had something to say, she just chose not to say it. These stories, however, have a one-in-a-million chance of being somewhat good. Lots of people are just filling in time, to participate.
You can always tell though, with writers. When they're *dying* to show you a story. Then I'm like, sure. Bring it on.
But you can't always write only meaningful words. Not if you write with any regularity. Some days, we practically drown in our own drivel. But have the good sense not to make someone else wade through it.

In one way, this makes a certain sense, but in another--I do not feel I ever write meaningful words, and therefore sometimes wonder if it's better to stop attempting it, and then wonder if I should really put that much investment into my own perceptions, given how faulty they often are. Like, how do I know if I've actually written something that is meaningful, and I just don't see it...

But I don't know if my personal feeling here is a data point that matters ;)

2. I've always sort of liked that Hemingway quote.
To me, he's talking about a sentence where you can roll it around in your head, and be like, "Yeah, this is pretty good." It feels beyond reproach. You read it and don't think anyone will argue with it. That's always a good to start, or a place to retreat, should you find yourself getting caught in a lie. The truth will rarely lead you astray.

What truth, though? Mine? Yours? Objective? The truth of the moment? Or is this more just a styling-your-sentences issue, rather than about content?

To me, I think it just means write with authenticity. Give writing all your heart and be genuine about it. When you force something it will sound contrived and readers will instantly pick up on it.

You can write anything in the world, but it should be written with your true feelings. I think if your writing is flowing easily, that's a sure sign it's with true feeling.

Ah, but which fraction of me has the truest feelings, when they're often in contest; what if the truth is I have no heart to give and no truth on which to rely? :D

God I'm being so contrarian. Sorry. ;) I think that's certainly an answer to the question(s)...well, all of these are. It's kind of a multi-dimensional problem, involving passion, heart, truth, honesty; concepts that might mean different things to different people. And maybe that's the whole point. A lack of a truth to stand on might be as true as the standiest-on truth there is. But then, how do you say something when you don't have it to begin with...

Hmmm.

I fall in love with some book worlds and can't get enough of them. Themes or messages in them take many forms. Good fiction only needs to take you into its world and have you enjoy it. Themes might reflect on society, but to variable degrees. Or there might be nothing more than escapism. I can't recall many romance novels I've read that had anything wider than personal drama within them (though there may be many out there). And who's to say personal drama is not a worthy thing to write about?

Of course. And I don't think "something to say" necessarily has to be something philosophically shattering. For me, though, it's sort of a concept that holds a story together, like...you know, Harry Potter making his own family out of his friends and such. You could contrast this weird instant "magical love" that his parents stamped on his face when they died with the actual gritty fighting-to-the-death love that he and his friends/mentors/etc build (even though I still think Hermione deserved so much more credit than she ever got and Harry should have been her personal damn footstool for a full decade for all she did for him and he took credit for, BLEAH). It's not, like, a super profound statement, and it does not create the plot, but for me, it sort of hangs the story together in a way that it just wouldn't otherwise, yanno? Like, quite honestly, I don't care about Harry beating Voldemort. It doesn't mean anything on its own. It only means something because of what it threatens to destroy, if that makes sense.

I'm motivated to write because I do have something to say. It started as a vague concept and only as my story unfolded did it come into better focus. I don't know if I'll be successful or influence anyone or have anything that holds up over time. It doesn't matter. I've written a book that I wanted to write. That's what matters.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you know what you wanted to write?

Lisa Cron's blog and books on writing might be helpful on this subject. They were for me. http://wiredforstory.com/

Thank you for the link :)

I often think of that Hemingway quote. To me it means, start with one true thing and it will be a lot more difficult to not be truthful throughout the entire MS. As far as overall theme, I haven't, so far, thought about theme until after the first draft or pretty far into it, when I start to see what the story might illustrate, or elucidate regarding the human condition. Until then, I'm just trying to write a coherent story. Then, I go back through on revisions and now, knowing what the story might say or mean, I carve out the finer details with that in mind, along with everything else like story and character arcs, making sure the voice is consistent, that kind of thing. But I do like that Hemingway quote. I think it's a good way to go in.

Right, fair enough :)

I suppose where I run into trouble is that, if I start with this one sentence, it must evolve into something else by the end. Or, yanno, if I start with a character, this character must do something, become something, and with this doing and becoming, something must necessarily be spoken through the story, even if it's rather a minor something? And thus in trying to create this coherent story I sort of...get lost in what this is supposed to come around to. What the point is. ...Maybe I'm just thinking too much :D

I never feel I have anything to say before starting a story. I just have one scene (or one piece of dialogue) in my head and 'write around it'. Sometimes a deeper theme emerges, mostly it doesn't.

Ed

So is it always a bad thing to start with something you want to say? A writer should just try to make a story and find out what it says later? ;)

People sometimes equate great fiction writing to an act of exhibitionism. If true writing is letting it all hang out for the world to see, untrue writing is the exact opposite: it's hiding under layers of clothes and a ski mask, while hiding in a dark room with a locked door.

What Hemingway and Fitzgerald are ultimately talking about (and when those two agree on anything it's worth paying attention to) is honesty to oneself. "To thine own self be true" isn't just a line from a decent old play, it should be the writer's mantra. We imagine stories, we create worlds, we people those worlds with characters, and then, based on rules and constructs we've created from our innate beliefs, our breadth of personal experience, and our most cherished philosophies, we let them loose on the page. Writing untruthfully is using somebody else's rule book for our story worlds.

Which self should I be true to? Which self is it that is untouched by other people's input? Is there such a thing?
An untrue sentence is a sentence crafted for consumption rather than communication. It's the literary equivalent of blowing smoke up your reader's ass. It's made of words chosen to please rather than evoke, conveying actions tailored to reader or societal expectation rather than one's own vision. In short, it's "selling out."

A true sentence, on the other hand, is a solid declaration to the reader: "This is how I see the world. This is the story I have to tell. This is me. Take us as we are or be damned."

So then, it is having a story to tell, for some purpose of exposing the self, of glorifying the self as truth, as a single object that is honest in its core and uninfluenced by the outside world?

Not only is it possible to write dishonestly, it's seductively easy. So easy, in fact, that most of us do it, and often. Ever tone down something for fear of how it might come across? Then you may have lied to your reader.

What if I have toned something down because I wanted to communicate something, but failed in the initial communication, overwhelming what I meant to say with excessive imagery that spattered over the meaning?

Ever change a character's actions because you worried about how they might come off? Then you may have lied to your reader.

What if I changed a character's actions because I wanted to? Because what they did didn't work for the story, because it made them more despicable or boring than the story could handle? I'm still worried about how they come off; how the reader's perception will play into it and receive the story...

For me, this assumes the initial conception of a character or sentence or idea is the truest, and to change it is lying; is that what you mean?

I change things in stories because I do not think I'm communicating the story properly, because I don't think what I've done makes a good story, that sort of thing. Because the reader's reception matters in what the story says. It's not all about what I'm writing; it's about what the reader reads into it, as well, isn't it?

Or what you're saying--is it more about doing what I think will *sell* rather than what I want to write?

Killing Colonel Mustard in the Library with a Colt .45.

Your honesty is appreciated :D

Mmm, perhaps I have an issue with the concept because I'm in the latter category :D

Both as a reader and a writer, the stuff that feels most alive to me is stuff that doesn't tackle big social or philosophical issues, but fiction that simply renders a portrait of another human consciousness in full.

I like this :)

Probably the least abstract way I can put it is this: what feels "true" about the books that I love is that I come away from them with a sense of genuine connection, with the author and with her characters.

What feels "untrue" is perhaps more difficult to account for. But maybe it's like this: you ever have a dream where something in the dreamscape is just a little off, and in your dream you realize "oh, this is just a dream?" That's what untrue writing feels like to me. You can't fully enter the world of the story because there's something or other that serves as a reminder that this is just a dream.

Hmm. This makes a lot of sense to me. :) Thank you.

That's all I was getting at above. It isn't what you're writing, it's HOW you write it. True writing is writing with feeling. It's not about genre, or style, or sensationalism. It's about remembering the only thing truly unique we can bring to our readers is ourselves. And then it's about having the guts to do that.

Ah. With feeling :) Okay. So, you mean "going through the motions of what you think is expected" vs, I guess, "telling a story you feel like telling", or similar?

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Not forget everything they ever said or wrote, but recast them into two old drunk guys in a bar who grab your arm and start pontificating and then consider how much weight you'd give everything they say, you know?

I just mean -- same as Freud, who did a fuckload of coke -- people tend to imbue those who have done a thing they admire with the admiration across the board.

Grain of salt. Hemingway could write. He also spent a lot of time drunk and pontificating.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
buzhidao, you said,
I suppose where I run into trouble is that, if I start with this one sentence, it must evolve into something else by the end. Or, yanno, if I start with a character, this character must do something, become something, and with this doing and becoming, something must necessarily be spoken through the story, even if it's rather a minor something? And thus in trying to create this coherent story I sort of...get lost in what this is supposed to come around to. What the point is. ...Maybe I'm just thinking too much :D

If not thinking too much, thinking too soon. Write the story. You'll know what to write next by what you've written just prior, and by asking yourself, what would they do or say next? Is that logical? Is it interesting? I don't think it's supposed to or has to become, anything. What's wrong with just writing a good story? Once you have, you'll look at it and say, hmm, this kind of means this or means that, but that's only or mostly in retrospect. Your ambition could be paralyzing you.

Look at this way. It will mean something whether you intend it or not. And it will mean different things to different readers. You can't control that. All I meant by my earlier post is once I've finished the first draft, or damn near, I might look at it and think, this is what it means to me and in edits I can enhance that. In edits only until you've cleansed yourself of this ha, very nasty tendency. No, we've all had these thoughts, I would bet, but we are all just storytellers.

A question for you: Have you ever been thoroughly bored by a preachy movie or novel? They might have been conveying what you saw as a profound truth, but if in the telling, they put you to sleep or battered you with their truth, chances are it wasn't a very enjoyable experience.

Have you ever found yourself moved by a well-told story, either in tears or rapturous laughter, and realized that there was nothing unique or profound, or any theme that hadn't been expressed many times before?

So, in your estimation, which was better? For myself, if I'm not entertained (in the all-encompassing sense of the word) they could be giving me the secret to eternal youth and chances are I'd never get through it to receive it.

You also said this: Ah, but which fraction of me has the truest feelings, when they're often in contest; what if the truth is I have no heart to give and no truth on which to rely?

I suspect none of us do, not really. Because it's all relative, isn't it? My truth might be your hogwash. My heart might be shallow and trite to the depth of yours. I know we'd all like to express profundities, to think that we might add some light to a confounding world. And you just might, you know. But don't let that temptation cut you off at the knees. I think it can be paralyzing. Just write an interesting, entertaining story because people will take from it what they will. Ha, sometimes, they'll see things you didn't see yourself, things that once you have, you'll realize are much more significant and weighty than what you had in mind.

You also asked this question: can you escape saying something, even if you don't mean to?

My answer, would be, no, you can't. So why try?

*The standard qualifier applies. Others may be able to construct an entire story in their heads or in their raggedy old notebooks before they even put their fingers on the keys, complete with story, character profiles, and theme(s). But I've found that what I've tried to express here works best for me.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... If you don't mind my asking, how did you know what you wanted to write?...
False beliefs is an issue I've been interested in most of my adult life. In the last decade I've moved beyond interest and actually became involved in trying to make a difference. I don't expect the book to make that difference, mind you. It just made sense for it to be the main theme in the book.

Thank you for the link
You're welcome. Hope you find her advice as useful as I have.

Last edited:

buz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not forget everything they ever said or wrote, but recast them into two old drunk guys in a bar who grab your arm and start pontificating and then consider how much weight you'd give everything they say, you know?

I just mean -- same as Freud, who did a fuckload of coke -- people tend to imbue those who have done a thing they admire with the admiration across the board.

Grain of salt. Hemingway could write. He also spent a lot of time drunk and pontificating.

Lol, I mean, fair. It's just the sort of thing I hear from time to time, but I don't know if it came from them and just got repeated or...what. I assume some people agree, but--same with all other writing advice, one could say.

If not thinking too much, thinking too soon. Write the story. You'll know what to write next by what you've written just prior, and by asking yourself, what would they do or say next? Is that logical? Is it interesting? I don't think it's supposed to or has to become, anything. What's wrong with just writing a good story? Once you have, you'll look at it and say, hmm, this kind of means this or means that, but that's only or mostly in retrospect. Your ambition could be paralyzing you.

My aim is a good story :)

I have trouble pasting a story together. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong paste to make it work. I don't know... I don't usually know what to write next just based on what I've written before. ...

Don't misunderstand--I don't necessarily think every story should have some grand meaning to it. I think just telling a good story is wonderful. I think it's the main point. But what makes a good story? When you strip it down, it involves change and transformation somehow, doesn't it? How do you make this change and transformation without saying something about it? Even something like...er, "being immortal isn't worth it" or "you, logical adult human, still fear monsters and the dark" or "love can exist between a woman and an octopus" or "family above all" or whatever. Things that have been said, still need saying; still will be said.

Look at this way. It will mean something whether you intend it or not.
I agree :) But...yanno, I want it to mean something that makes the story hang together, if that makes sense.

A question for you: Have you ever been thoroughly bored by a preachy movie or novel? They might have been conveying what you saw as a profound truth, but if in the telling, they put you to sleep or battered you with their truth, chances are it wasn't a very enjoyable experience.

I honestly can't remember. (Which probably says more about my rotting memory than anything else :D ) But, really, isn't that more about execution than about whether or not there was something to say? I mean, I'm not advocating for being boring and preachy, certainly. One can explore a point, or make one, without beating the reader over the head with it, le no? :D
Have you ever found yourself moved by a well-told story, either in tears or rapturous laughter, and realized that there was nothing unique or profound, or any theme that hadn't been expressed many times before?

Of course. I don't think the something-to-say has to be all-new and fresh, necessarily, just the telling of it.

I suppose where I'm concerned is--what other people are saying, about the writing with heart, writing with feeling, writing what's in you--and the convergence of that with finding something to say. I can pull something to say out of the world; things that have been said already, try to put a new spin on it. But it often does not feel like it's mine, or it comes from me, you know? I can say something, but I feel like I don't have anything to say; does that make sense?

Maybe it doesn't matter. That's a legit viewpoint. I'm just sort of bumbling through this, still figuring out how to write, even after all these years...;)

I suspect none of us do, not really. Because it's all relative, isn't it? My truth might be your hogwash. My heart might be shallow and trite to the depth of yours. I know we'd all like to express profundities, to think that we might add some light to a confounding world. And you just might, you know. But don't let that temptation cut you off at the knees. I think it can be paralyzing. Just write an interesting, entertaining story because people will take from it what they will. Ha, sometimes, they'll see things you didn't see yourself, things that once you have, you'll realize are much more significant and weighty than what you had in mind.

Oh god :p I hope they're not THAT significant...

False beliefs is an issue I've been interested in most of my adult life. In the last decade I've moved beyond interest and actually became involved in trying to make a difference. I don't expect the book to make that difference, mind you. It just made sense for it to be the main theme in the book.

False beliefs--sounds like an excellent thing to say something about :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.