Skoobs, London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, but I'm heading to London in a couple of months and I love visiting used bookshops whenever I travel. I found a place called Skoobs, which looks promising, except I'm a bit confused by their website. At the top of the webpage, it says they're the biggest carriers of academic books on London, and it lists all the educational subjects they carry textbooks for. But does that mean they're solely a source for textbooks? Or do they carry other types of non-fiction and fiction? The site doesn't say. It looks like they're quite a walk from the nearest Tube station, so I don't want to waste my time (and limited energy) if they don't carry the sort of books I'm looking for. (Sewing textbooks, sci-fi, historical romance, etc.)

Does anyone from London know?

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
They're a general bookshop, with a long history. I spent many hours in there when they used to be just round the corner from the British Museum back in the '80s. They specialize a bit in occult literature, both fiction and non-fiction, but they have a bit of everything.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Somebody in the London area, do you know? Does Foyle's (on Charing Cross Road, as I recall; could be erroneous memory) still exist? If so, I recommend it, for a couple of reasons. First, back in the late 1980s, it was a treasure mine of books. Second, it was the most diabolically obtuse retail establishment in which I've ever purchased anything. I've often wondered it it wasn't something of a model for the British comedy TV seried Black Books. And there are other used bookshops centered in that same area.

caw

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Foyles was still there in March, because I visited it then. They renovated it a few years ago and now it's more organised and glossy, and they've got rid of the odd buying process they had (you'd take a stack of books to the sales desk, where you'd get a written ticket which you'd have to take with your books to a specific point on the ground floor in order to pay). But it's still lovely.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Foyles was still there in March, because I visited it then. They renovated it a few years ago and now it's more organised and glossy, and they've got rid of the odd buying process they had (you'd take a stack of books to the sales desk, where you'd get a written ticket which you'd have to take with your books to a specific point on the ground floor in order to pay). But it's still lovely.

Actually, I (slightly) would miss the old buying process, just because it was so weirdly quaint. I remember they had a staff of several older women who sat at tables, and you took your books to them, they made out a ticket for you, you took that downstairs to the checkout counter, and they (ultimately) deliver the books to them. They also had books organized not by genre or category, but by publisher. Which made for loooooong browsing. But it is nice to know they are still there.

caw

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
hi
Unfortunately your about 15 years too late . Charing Cross Road was the centre for the book trade , and Foyles is still there , one of the last . It was a chaotic place, the staff would hide a way, behind piles of books reading. It is now just a book shop . The London book trade has become very fragmented, but the there are still lots of small book shops about, have a look here Bookmongers - second hand book shop Brixton South London
On this site is a book shop map of London

Last edited:

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Stephen, thanks for that link! But are you saying that Skoobs is no longer in business?

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Stephen, thanks for that link! But are you saying that Skoobs is no longer in business?
Hi
Sorry.....Skoops is still there . It is one of the book shops listed on the map. I was a bit diverted by the referents to Foyles . It was a eccentric and interesting maze of a place and it's passing makes me feel sad.

Last edited:

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, okay. I do appreciate that map! I found a comic shop and art gallery that my husband will enjoy.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Not second-hand, but if you'd like to browse, Forbidden Planet was a good place to go (last time I was in London). If memory serves, it should still be on New Tottenham Court Road (still Central London, Zone 1).

====

ETA:

BTW, is Murder One still on Charring Cross Rd.,? It had 2 floors that were good for browsing.

Last edited:

travelgal

Registered
Reaction score
Murder One got dissed back in 2009. Now tacky souvenir shops prevail.

I was disappointed when Foyles got all shined up; I couldn't find a danged thing without effort, but that was the whole point.

I'll have to check out Skoobs when next I visit in July. Not a fan of Brixton, but if it's extensive enough, I might take a trip down there.

Ah, Forbidden Planet. Another gem. Still on New Tottenham Court Road it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.