The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Skoobs, London

Question Skoobs, London

Not sure where to post this, but I'm heading to London in a couple of months and I love visiting used bookshops whenever I travel. I found a place called Skoobs, which looks promising, except I'm a bit confused by their website. At the top of the webpage, it says they're the biggest carriers of academic books on London, and it lists all the educational subjects they carry textbooks for. But does that mean they're solely a source for textbooks? Or do they carry other types of non-fiction and fiction? The site doesn't say. It looks like they're quite a walk from the nearest Tube station, so I don't want to waste my time (and limited energy) if they don't carry the sort of books I'm looking for. (Sewing textbooks, sci-fi, historical romance, etc.)

Does anyone from London know?
    "Alone is what I have. Alone protects me." -- Sherlock Holmes

The force is strong in this one. williemeikle's Avatar
    They're a general bookshop, with a long history. I spent many hours in there when they used to be just round the corner from the British Museum back in the '80s. They specialize a bit in occult literature, both fiction and non-fiction, but they have a bit of everything.

Oh, yay! Thank you. :-)

practical experience, FTW
    Somebody in the London area, do you know? Does Foyle's (on Charing Cross Road, as I recall; could be erroneous memory) still exist? If so, I recommend it, for a couple of reasons. First, back in the late 1980s, it was a treasure mine of books. Second, it was the most diabolically obtuse retail establishment in which I've ever purchased anything. I've often wondered it it wasn't something of a model for the British comedy TV seried Black Books. And there are other used bookshops centered in that same area.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Foyles was still there in March, because I visited it then. They renovated it a few years ago and now it's more organised and glossy, and they've got rid of the odd buying process they had (you'd take a stack of books to the sales desk, where you'd get a written ticket which you'd have to take with your books to a specific point on the ground floor in order to pay). But it's still lovely.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    Foyles was still there in March, because I visited it then. They renovated it a few years ago and now it's more organised and glossy, and they've got rid of the odd buying process they had (you'd take a stack of books to the sales desk, where you'd get a written ticket which you'd have to take with your books to a specific point on the ground floor in order to pay). But it's still lovely.
    Actually, I (slightly) would miss the old buying process, just because it was so weirdly quaint. I remember they had a staff of several older women who sat at tables, and you took your books to them, they made out a ticket for you, you took that downstairs to the checkout counter, and they (ultimately) deliver the books to them. They also had books organized not by genre or category, but by publisher. Which made for loooooong browsing. But it is nice to know they are still there.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

practical experience, FTW stephenf's Avatar
    hi
    Unfortunately your about 15 years too late . Charing Cross Road was the centre for the book trade , and Foyles is still there , one of the last . It was a chaotic place, the staff would hide a way, behind piles of books reading. It is now just a book shop . The London book trade has become very fragmented, but the there are still lots of small book shops about, have a look here Bookmongers - second hand book shop Brixton South London
    On this site is a book shop map of London
    Last edited by stephenf; 05-17-2017 at 02:29 AM.

Stephen, thanks for that link! But are you saying that Skoobs is no longer in business?

practical experience, FTW stephenf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orianna2000 View Post
    Stephen, thanks for that link! But are you saying that Skoobs is no longer in business?
    Hi
    Sorry.....Skoops is still there . It is one of the book shops listed on the map. I was a bit diverted by the referents to Foyles . It was a eccentric and interesting maze of a place and it's passing makes me feel sad.
    Last edited by stephenf; 05-17-2017 at 02:26 AM.

Ah, okay. I do appreciate that map! I found a comic shop and art gallery that my husband will enjoy.