• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Novel contests?

on_the_verge

Banned
Reaction score
This should be a no-brainer, but let me just run this by you all.

I just noticed there's a decently-rated indie publisher holding a contest for first-time novelists. The publisher (who also happens to be a writer) wants the entire manuscript, plus a $20 reading fee. The prize is publication. Of course, we're not talking 'advance' here.

Isn't this just a way for the publisher to not only get an acquisition that he/she doesn't have to pay anything for, ever, but to make $20 off of everyone who enters?

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Can you show us where this is?

It doesn't sound promising, though. From what you've said, I'd steer clear.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I do wish these open calls where the only prize is publiction would drop the word 'contest' from their vocab. Even when there is no entry fee how is this anything different from being open to submissions?

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
on_the_verge said:
Isn't this just a way for the publisher to not only get an acquisition that he/she doesn't have to pay anything for, ever, but to make $20 off of everyone who enters?
Sure sounds like it.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
I do wish these open calls where the only prize is publiction would drop the word 'contest' from their vocab. Even when there is no entry fee how is this anything different from being open to submissions?
It ain't, and it's disingenuous at best. And it's far too early in the morning for me to be using five-syllable words.
4.gif

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Repeat this:

"The money flows to me, the money flows to meeeee."

Steer clear of contests where you pay to enter. You're not only out the 20 bucks (or more) entry fee, but your printing and postage costs, and you will likely never hear from them again. Sometimes a "contest" is just another means for a scammer to acquire a suckers' list. (Yes, some contests are legit, but why take chances?)

DO finish your work and send it in to a paying publisher.

Again... "The money flows to meeee, the money flows to MEEEEE!"

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
My rule for contests: If you don't see the name of a certain contest listed among the blurbs on the covers of paperback books in your local bookstore, entering it is a waste of time.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Plenty of legit contests charge a small entry fee. So the presence of a fee doesn't automatically suggest that the contest is scammish.

If the prize is publication, though, make sure that a) the publisher is worth being published by, and b) you can refuse the contract if you win. Indie publishers sometimes have strange or author-unfriendly contracts, and you don't want to be locked in if it's a bad contract and the publisher isn't willing to negotiate.
This is a good point, because in the case of an indie publisher that doesn't typically work with agents, the answer is "it isn't."

- Victoria