The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Novel contests?

Banned

Novel contests?

This should be a no-brainer, but let me just run this by you all.

I just noticed there's a decently-rated indie publisher holding a contest for first-time novelists. The publisher (who also happens to be a writer) wants the entire manuscript, plus a $20 reading fee. The prize is publication. Of course, we're not talking 'advance' here.

Isn't this just a way for the publisher to not only get an acquisition that he/she doesn't have to pay anything for, ever, but to make $20 off of everyone who enters?

Can you show us where this is?

It doesn't sound promising, though. From what you've said, I'd steer clear.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I do wish these open calls where the only prize is publiction would drop the word 'contest' from their vocab. Even when there is no entry fee how is this anything different from being open to submissions?
    Emily Veinglory

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by on_the_verge
    Isn't this just a way for the publisher to not only get an acquisition that he/she doesn't have to pay anything for, ever, but to make $20 off of everyone who enters?
    Sure sounds like it.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veinglory
    I do wish these open calls where the only prize is publiction would drop the word 'contest' from their vocab. Even when there is no entry fee how is this anything different from being open to submissions?
    It ain't, and it's disingenuous at best. And it's far too early in the morning for me to be using five-syllable words.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Grumpy writer and editor Absolute Sage Gillhoughly's Avatar
    Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
    Repeat this:

"The money flows to me, the money flows to meeeee."

Steer clear of contests where you pay to enter. You're not only out the 20 bucks (or more) entry fee, but your printing and postage costs, and you will likely never hear from them again. Sometimes a "contest" is just another means for a scammer to acquire a suckers' list. (Yes, some contests are legit, but why take chances?)

DO finish your work and send it in to a paying publisher.

Again... "The money flows to meeee, the money flows to MEEEEE!"

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    My rule for contests: If you don't see the name of a certain contest listed among the blurbs on the covers of paperback books in your local bookstore, entering it is a waste of time.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Plenty of legit contests charge a small entry fee. So the presence of a fee doesn't automatically suggest that the contest is scammish.

If the prize is publication, though, make sure that a) the publisher is worth being published by, and b) you can refuse the contract if you win. Indie publishers sometimes have strange or author-unfriendly contracts, and you don't want to be locked in if it's a bad contract and the publisher isn't willing to negotiate.
    This is a good point, because in the case of an indie publisher that doesn't typically work with agents, the answer is "it isn't."

- Victoria