• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Do any of you do this to beat writer's block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lalaloopsy

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes when I'm trying to come up with a plot, I write up reviews for my non-existent book from the perspective of many imaginary readers. It helps things flow easier for me.

For example:

1. This book was just so strange. Can you actually believe that Antonio stole his landlord's cat? Not only that, but why was he going around telling everybody that he was French? Everybody knows he was born and raised in Spain, his parents are notorious serial killers for Godsakes.

2. So why did Antonio want that cat? He's allergic! Also, why does he spend so much money on hair gel? He's bald!

3. The best part of the book for me was when he tried to become a sailor. I cried a little bit when he got lost at sea.

-------------

See what I mean, it helps to create random personality traits and plots.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
This is a neat idea. I have a character in my book who is a writer, and I have entertained myself (and developed her) by writing reviews or blurbs for her books (which are not at all the sort of books I could imagine myself writing). But I've never thought of doing it for my own book. I like it!

Lalaloopsy

Registered
Reaction score
Glad to help. It's a fun way to come up with ideas when you're stuck.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I like it, too - basically, as I see it, it's coming at the problem from a 'safe/hidden' angle...

read2live

Registered
Reaction score
That's a really interesting idea. It's not something I ever thought about before. I also rub a book blog, though it's been a little dormant of late. I might have to give this a try.

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
Sometimes when I'm trying to come up with a plot, I write up reviews for my non-existent book from the perspective of many imaginary readers. It helps things flow easier for me.

For example:

1. This book was just so strange. Can you actually believe that Antonio stole his landlord's cat? Not only that, but why was he going around telling everybody that he was French? Everybody knows he was born and raised in Spain, his parents are notorious serial killers for Godsakes.

2. So why did Antonio want that cat? He's allergic! Also, why does he spend so much money on hair gel? He's bald!

3. The best part of the book for me was when he tried to become a sailor. I cried a little bit when he got lost at sea.

-------------

See what I mean, it helps to create random personality traits and plots.

I hate to be a party pooper, but no, I don't do that, and there's a reason: I don't start writing until I have at least a modicum of an idea where I want the story to go.

That said, Number 2 made me laugh, because I used to have a cue-ball bald copy editor working for me who would spray hairspray up into the air over his head, then shake his head underneath the cloud of spray to make sure it evenly covered his head. And then he would mumble to himself and laugh maniacally.

To this day, 16 years later, I have no idea if he was doing it for everyone's benefit or if he was truly batshit crazy. And that makes it more fun.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I vote for batshit. Even if he was just messing with yall, that's still batshit.

_lvbl

Registered
Reaction score
WHile I don't do this, this made me laugh. It's good to treat this entire process with the adequate amount of humor!

Says-R

Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, this is interesting!

It's an interesting method to work from the perspective of the reviews that you would like to receive.

AielloJ1

Registered
Reaction score
Really interesting idea. When people get writers block it can be really hard to overcome it obviously. Different and unique ideas are always helpful!

Laiceps

Busy doing nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I do this. Sort of. I used to love reading all of those snarky YA book review blogs. I did a snarky book review on one of my stories once and boy did I catch a load of plot holes and stupid things. It was fun. But also not fun at all :(

Status
Not open for further replies.