• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Space: Car Maker to Send Lunar Rovers to Historic Moon Landing Site

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Car Maker to Send Lunar Rovers to Historic Moon Landing Site

NBC News said:
It's been almost half a century since Apollo astronauts walked on the moon — and drove their ungainly car-like rovers across the lunar surface. But with the help of automaker Audi, a group of Berlin-based engineers is planning the first-ever private moon landing in 2018 — not only touching down on the moon but also delivering a pair of robotic rovers.

Plans call for the wagon-sized Audi Lunar Quattros to visit the site in the moon's Taurus-Littrow valley where Apollo 17 astronauts spent three days in December of 1972. Ground-based technicians will steer the solar-powered rovers to the site. There they will capture high-definition images of the Lunar Roving Vehicle driven by Apollo 17 astronaut Gene Cernan and beam them back to Earth.

The group is eager to know how the old NASA rover has fared in more than 45 years of exposure to the harsh lunar environment.

"We want to see how it looks like," says Karsten Becker, head of electronics for PT Scientists. "Has it been bombarded to shreds or is it standing there like on the day they left it? Is there dust on it, and if not, why not? There are many interesting scientific questions you can answer by going back to it."

In addition to providing a close-up view of the old NASA vehicle, the Audi rovers will carry out experiments for scientists in the U.S., Canada, and Sweden. One involves an attempt to determine how seeds might grow in the moon's reduced gravity.

PT Scientists also plans to demonstrate the feasibility of establishing mobile phone coverage on the moon. One day astronauts visiting might be able to call home from the lunar surface using just an iPhone — at "astronomical roaming rates," Becker jokes.

Well, okay, it seems like a stunt. Still, kind of a cool stunt.

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
ungainly car-like rovers

I don't know about "ungainly", at least by the standards of the time. The biggest difference in the appearance of my friend's contemporaneous Dune Buggy and the Lunar Rover is the latter didn't have a metallic flake green paint job. Mind, it did have that high-gain antenna, which would have looked really cute at the beach.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
In classic SF, did anyone predict publicity stunts would embrace science and the spirit of exploration more than some major nations (not namin' any names...)?
I don't know about the comparison between publicity and national programs, but I do recall one short story where the idea was some ad company setting up a big stencil on the Moon, so that explosions in the dust would show up as the 'Coke' logo when seen from Earth. I may not remember the details exactly, and I believe they bribed astronauts to do the work, but the general idea has stayed with me for 40 years.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I don't know about the comparison between publicity and national programs, but I do recall one short story where the idea was some ad company setting up a big stencil on the Moon, so that explosions in the dust would show up as the 'Coke' logo when seen from Earth. I may not remember the details exactly, and I believe they bribed astronauts to do the work, but the general idea has stayed with me for 40 years.

There was also the bit in the Red Dwarf books about the ship whose mission was to detonate stars in order to create, on Earth, the ultimate end to the cola wars with the slogan Coke Adds Life written in the heavens.

And, come to think of it, IIRC Douglas Adams (in the Hitchhiker series) had space elevator salespeople traveling the galaxy: when they encountered a planetbound civilization, they would work to raise the species to the stars in order to create new customers.