Dances of the Future?

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
With so many artists in AW I'd guess a lot of you are dancers of one sort of another, from just jumping up and down or "slow dancing" where couples embrace and just step from foot to foot, to near-pro level.

What do you think the dances of the future will be? A century, a millennia from now? And why?

Here are some of my guesses, but only a few dozen years from now. I'm not brave enough to go further out.

I'd guess that regional dances of different cultures will survive despite the success of any global dances. But they will likely change based on what their dancers see done in other cultures. And maybe travel across the globe far from their origins. As many regional dances have before.

One place where they've traveled to is Britain, which appropriated several, gave them a Brit makeover, and systemized them into the "International" styles. Which are set out in great detail in a set of books, hundreds of patterns with baffling titles. The patterns are organized into Bronze, Silver, and Gold levels. Each pattern has points assigned to them for doing them "right." This makes them ideal for competitions where couples are ranked by points. Several TV shows are based on them. The organization behind them wants to make them Olympic events.

An up-and-coming regional dance style is one I've devoted over a quarter of a century to. It is the Argentine tango (which is as much Uruguayan tango as Argentine, but the A name stuck). It is the exact opposite in many ways to the International styles, because it is completely improvisational. A couple embraces and walks to the music. There is no Basic pattern other than that, though teachers often give beginners a pattern that collects some common moves together. The most-used one is "The Eight-step Basic."

ArTango comes in two versions, show tango and social tango. The first is done by professional dancers in shows, people who are world-class acrobats. They do choreographed routines with lots of split second-timing and fake drama. A link below to a YouTube video shows a prime example of this, the preview of a show called Tango Fire. Social tango is done in a crowd so dancers stay close and don't intrude on other dancers with jumps and kicks and lifts. They do share a lot of common movements with show tango, because show tango grows out of social tango.

Why do I think Argentine tango has a big future? For one thing, it's easy to begin dancing and have fun. Embrace and walk. Add a bit of cat-like style, and you can actually look and feel as if you know what you're doing. Another is that there are lots of free online videos that teach tango, some of them very good. Too, there is a high ceiling of accomplishment if you are into learning more. Lastly, tango shows are beautiful and inspiring, and can easily hook people. I dare you to watch the following video and NOT want to do something like that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03f7JBZmmqw

Another dance I see as having a big future is Salsa, a version of the Cuban mambo. It has many of the advantages of (what I think of as the REAL) tango. It's easy to pick up, though a little harder because swaying your hips takes a bit of alcoholic loosening up for many gringos. A slower version comes from Colombia - which Colombians will tell you came first. It's called cumbia (which is often done at tango dance parties between tango sets). Here's a link to salsa dancing - in India. Followed by salsa done by kindergartners!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkZoE29Rf4w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwGO_RNnYHc

Solo dancing is very popular and will continue in the future. People don't have to learn to coordinate with a partner as in couple dancing. All you have to do is walk in place, jump, spin, kick, gesture, thrust hips to the sides or front and back, and strike poses. You can do partner dances by mirroring each other, or challenging each other back and forth in "dance battles." There are many dozens of different styles which come into vogue and disappear, maybe to return or merge with other dance styles. Very young kids pick up solo dancing very early and easily. As you can see below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loV4y4uE--g

One popular form is the shuffle. It started with Michael Jackson's moonwalk and added moves. It began in Australia and traveled quickly to Europe, the US, Russia, and China. And even to Iran as seen in the first video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZVXhowPP_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC5WkYbsw4s

YouTube and the like can spread dance forms and music almost literally overnight all over the planet. Where people buy dance shoes with LED multicolored soles or sides or tops. And in darkened night clubs wield light sticks to accent their dancing.

I'll not be surprised when dancing arrives in the Space Station. And later in the Moon after drones controlled from Earth have created big underground cities complete with power, water, and lots of greenery to help with air production and cleaning.

OK. Your turn to speculate!

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Realtime neurotactic links allow dance partners to coordinate their movements at a subconscious level. No more zigging when your partner tries to do the shopping trolley.

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
One TV show's version of a future dance
C:\Users\Laer\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif
: https://youtu.be/NJe-CdWsICY
Got to wonder if the creators of this sequence were deliberately trying to make the "future dance" look silly! Ironically, it is no more silly than the following sequence of hip-hop moves used for a video of a popular song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCcdYVAMGI4&t=10

In both videos a lot of the moves involve isolations, where one part of our bodies moves as independently of the others as possible. You see this in belly-dance as well as hip-hop, in most of "modern dance" or "interpretive dance" as it's sometimes called.

Realtime neurotactic links allow dance partners to coordinate their movements at a subconscious level. No more zigging when your partner tries to do the shopping trolley.
Such links might help. OR maybe just make coordination harder!

After all, we grow up learning lots of cues that help us coordinate our movement. In marches, a basic rhythm is set and we continue it. You can see this in military exercises and marching bands, often cued by drum beats. And in social dancing we use the same cue: a basic beat.

In unconnected dances couples or other multiples can take cues from lots of body motions. One partner turns her head to the left, or her whole body left, or gestures left. Her partner(s) can go with her, or go opposite her.

In square dances and contra dances and such the entire dance is choreographed, or parts of it are. Or there may be a caller: "Then grab your partner, dosey doe, swing him around and don't let go!"

In lots of social dances couples are connected by their arms or hands and there's a leader. This is usually the man but sometimes not, or the two swap roles, as in this dance by The Macana Brothers. (The dance is a quick-step version of tango in 2/4 time, the milonga, which some think the original version.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPP4brd5l90&t=58

In gay dances sometimes the tallest automatically becomes the leader. When the connection is good and the follower is well-practiced it feels almost as we are reading each other's minds, helped along by the basic beat of the music.

Last edited:

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
I danced at a near-pro level in ballet until knee problems kicked me out, so I'm biased to that. I think the distinct styles will stay, and more will be recognized by media or spread through online videos. I expect to see more fusion styles (I've seen traditional Chinese and traditional ballet, hip hop and ballet, and traditional Saidi belly dancing and ballet, as standout examples). What we see as belly dancing actually started as a fusion of different Middle Eastern and Mediterranean dancing that blended with the sensationalism of the World's Fairs in the early 1900s, it's not a traditional style any earlier than that (If you're talking about generic "belly dancing," that is). Looking at the evolution of that could give ideas where dance can go from here. Also, the isolation style of dancing you mentioned. That's gone through some crazy changes through the last couple decades and it's becoming more impressive every time I see it (and I already loved it the first time I saw it).

Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
dancing in space

Every weekend my lady friend and I get together for a movie night. We each bring a different movie, on DVD or streamed. We also contribute two or three short YouTube videos, since her TV service has a YouTube channel. One of them is often a dance video since we're both dancers (salsa and Argentine tango, mostly).

The following video was the one I've chosen for tomorrow night, because it reminded me that astronauts train to move in zero-gravity by practicing underwater. It's set to one of my favorite waltzes, Shostakovich's Waltz 2.

Can you see yourself dancing in zero-G from this?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9gyMKK4dmc

bmr1591

Registered
Reaction score
Hard to say. Many dances are random products of a music video. What will the next popular person create as a popular move? For all we know, there'll be throwback groups whipping and nay-naying. Hopefully not, but you never know.