Seeking help for the setting of a MG fantasy

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a MG fantasy set in a small town or village in England (the part of England adjacent to Wales - Herefordshire/Worcestershire/Shropshire territory), and wondered if anyone here has first-hand experience with that part of the country to help me get the setting right. (I'd lived in England as a boy, but in Berkshire, and I can't even recall visiting that part of the "Welsh border".)

benjj

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried scouting some locations using Google earth?

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I have Google Earth on my computer. And the kind of information and guidance I was hoping for was from someone who'd actually been there - the kind of information that you can't get from computer photographs.

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
I've spent fairly long periods of time on the Welsh Borders, around Hay-on-Wye, Hereford and the Black Mountains. Obviously I know far less than anyone who lives there permanently but if I can help, I will.

What kind of details are you looking for?

JeniferTidwell

Birdie wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Google Earth needs to be installed per se. If you use your browser to go to Google Maps, zoom in on that area until you see streets, and drop the little stick figure guy into the map, it should automatically put you into Street View.

Confession: I have used it more times than I can count when doing research for a book setting. :)

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
I've spent fairly long periods of time on the Welsh Borders, around Hay-on-Wye, Hereford and the Black Mountains. Obviously I know far less than anyone who lives there permanently but if I can help, I will.

What kind of details are you looking for?

Well, not so much details as whether the setting I've worked out (I've a strong general idea of what it's like, local landmarks, etc.) rings true for the real part of England it's set in or not.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I've found blog posts from natives to be very helpful. They also give you someone to e-mail to ask to have a read.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe there's a local newspaper with an on-line edition? Would be interesting to read all the local news and happenings.