First Reading/Panel Discussion

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I am doing my first reading next month. I'll be part of a trio of authors, each with 20 minutes (I'm in the middle), which in some ways makes it so much less stressful, and in some ways it doesn't. One of the authors is pretty well-known and has something of a cult following. But, anyway, I have some questions I'm hoping people with experience can provide answers for.

How do you select which part of the book to read? Should I request copies of the book from my pub to take with me? (The reading is at a bookstore, and we were *not* asked to bring copies, but I'm worried maybe it's considered obvious.)

Thanks!

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
I am not speaking from a huge wealth of experience, but I did address a small group (a book club of about twenty who are going to beta my second novel for me) last week. I found it quite nerve-wracking but ultimately very satisfying.

I guess the main aim would be to sell books, so choose a passage which you think is most likely to grab the audience's attention but doesn't give everything away.

Personnally, I would have a few copies nearby (maybe in the boot of the car or something) if you don't think the book-shop will have any? I would assume that they would have plenty if they've invited you to speak?

Middle is best. I have a surname beginning with "B" so have always been towards the front but never the first, which I have always felt is perfect (c:

Good luck, and enjoy the experience!