Wrote children's book but lack illustrations

T.D. Dracken

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote one children's book that is rhythm based. The book itself is about the things various people do in life like firefighters and police. The problem is that my wife, who was planning on doing the illustrations for it hasn't had the time to get very far in them.

If the story is good are illustrations something a publisher take care of or would it have to be a complete book?
----------edit--------
I just noticed the sticky on this and it did answer a lot of my questions. But the question is how receptive are publishers to the style the author envisioned for their book?

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Publishers don't want text and illustrations together, unless it's a single person (an author/illustrator) doing the work. PB submissions are generally text-only.

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
The publisher will find the illustrator. They are really good at matching writing styles with illustrating styles. FWIW - I've had a couple of PBs published and was happy with the illustrators that were chosen. :)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's a query, but with the entire text of the pb included below, like where you'd put the first X pages of a novel.

I think there are some in QLH, and some in Queryshark.