The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

Thread: President Trump Fires FBI Director Comey

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist Brightdreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by regdog View Post
    If the Republicans do nothing about this, they are complicit in treason and obstruction of justice.
    It's possible they've been complicit in the treason bit since at least November, even if the latter bit is new. Yet another reason we need a real, unobstructed investigation that we're unlikely to actually see happen. (Recent appointments on that front are encouraging, but not beyond reach or beyond stopping... and if this goes as deep as it looks like it might, that's an awful big hydra with many heads to overcome.)
    - Brightdreamer
    Brightdreamer's Book Reviews

"Inspiration will strike you, and leave you for dead. The police will do nothing."
    - from The Daily Humorscope

practical experience, FTW
    Feeling slightly nauseated reading this. In my rose-colored-glasses world, I believed Paul Ryan to be driven by his ideals. I always thought if our democracy were threatened, he would be driven by those same ideals to protect it, regardless of which political party is involved.

I can't understand why more republicans (citizens, not politicians) are not outraged by this.

figuring it all out Technophobe's Avatar
    Because they view themselves as the only 'true' Americans, and things are working out okay for them, so what's to be upset about?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser-Kun View Post
    From the link:
    President Trump told Russian officials last week that a day earlier, he fired FBI Director James Comey, whom Mr. Trump called a "real nut job," and said that it relieved "great pressure" on him, according to a report published Friday by The New York Times.

"I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job," Mr. Trump said in the Oval Office, according to a summary of the meeting, obtained by the Times.

"I faced great pressure because of Russia. That's taken off," he added.
    Something to keep in mind – the statement by Donald Trump is neither criminal nor treasonous. It's mind-boggling, but that's about it.

It won't make the slightest difference to his supporters, and the few Republicans in Congress who will comment will simply say, once again, "I'm troubled by this" before they turn over and go back to sleep on a bed made of poor people. (Not mine, that was a retweet I saw somewhere that amused me)

The only thing that might shake the faith of Trump supporters is if a video surfaced of him bragging to his rich friends that the reason he got elected is that his supporters are so stupid they actually believed him when when he promised he would bring back jobs and health care, etc.
    Urban Fantasy rules:Play Dead My Website

Pie aren't squared, pie are round! Introversion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
    Feeling slightly nauseated reading this. In my rose-colored-glasses world, I believed Paul Ryan to be driven by his ideals.
    I'm afraid I've long seen him as a spineless weasel. Not to mention, a bit of a dolt. How anyone can believe Ayn Rand wrote good guides for governance, let alone fiction worth reading, is beyond me.

Pie aren't squared, pie are round! Introversion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rugcat View Post
    It won't make the slightest difference to his supporters
    It really won't.

“It’s all bullshit,” said Joe Conicelli, a merchant selling artisanal peanut butter at the weekly farmers’ market in Bethlehem. Conicelli grew up in the area and said he had been with Trump “all the way”.

“Let the guy do his thing, then judge him,” Conicelli said. “The Democrats wanted him out three months ago, so what’s the difference? It’s just bullshit.”

It’s plain sabotage, Trump backers said on Thursday, echoing a line put out by the president’s campaign machine earlier this week.

“They’re gonna pick on him because he won,” said Sandy Emrich, manager of the Trolley Shop restaurant in East Bangor. “The Democrats are making it that way. He didn’t do anything any other president didn’t do.”

“This Russian thing, I think that’s stupid,” said Joan Hallett, who owns the place with her husband. “We didn’t vote because the Russians tried to change our opinions. They don’t realize that the people were tired of Obama. And they wanted a change.”

“If they’d leave him alone and quit contriving stuff against him, he’d do a hell of a job,” said John Griffin, a retired elevator technician. “If they get rid of this contrived stuff, he’d be a hell of a president.”

Yes, I see a lot of this from Trump-supporting acquaintances/in-laws. They don't care about Russia. They care about not paying for the ACA and having good jobs. The country can go to pot so long as they get those things.

Frankly, I've gotten to the point where I cherish the daily leaking drips. I have no illusions Trump will be impeached and I don't want him to be. Blocking him through daily distractions is loads better than President Pence or Hatch or whoever emerges scot-free from this mess.
    "...To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Watermark: A Novel of the Middle Ages

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213