The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: President Trump Fires FBI Director Comey

President Trump Fires FBI Director Comey

Attorney Sessions concurred strongly with this action.

Perhaps the FBI investigation into possible collusion with the Russians was becoming uncomfortable.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...mey/101485500/
    Urban Fantasy rules:Play Dead My Website

practical experience, FTW MaeZe's Avatar

Trump fired Comey

Tried to find a 'Trump is blatantly corrupt thread' but didn't readily see it. So I thought it best to start a new one.

Trump camp is claiming this is about not pursuing Clinton's emails.
    Last edited by MaeZe; 05-10-2017 at 02:33 AM.

How did you beat my thread by one minute?

Hopefully a kind mod can merge the threads.

Travelling around the sun cbenoi1's Avatar
    Day 109 of Trump's presidency. 1351 left to go.

-cb

This is further evidence of Trump's egotistical use of power. After what Comey did to Hillary though, I don't feel much sympathy for him. He was eaten by the beast he helped create.
    Congressional Republicans are a semi-"courageous" lot. They have no fear of voters, but shake in their boots at the very thought of the NRA or Grover Norquist.

AW's resident Velociraptor ShaunHorton's Avatar
    Are we about to see a revolt in the FBI as Trump tries to install Guliani or one of his sons as the new head of the FBI?
    My weekly blog
    My Amazon Author Page
    Twitter
    Facebook

It's out! Hannah is finally out of my hands and on Amazon!

"Is there something seriously wrong with you?"
    "Well, yeah, but that's kind of the point."

Quote Originally Posted by cbenoi1 View Post

-cb
    I'm more optimistic than that.
    my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes and fake nail sets, now on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyanideShoes

I have been nominated for Best Supporting Actress In A Short Film at The International Filmmaker Festival Of World Cinema London: http://filmfestinternational.com/bes...ndon-iff-2016/

practical experience, FTW buzhidao's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoF View Post
    This is further evidence of Trump's egotistical use of power. After what Comey did to Hillary though, I don't feel much sympathy for him. He was eaten by the beast he helped create.
    I don't disagree, but it's not really about Comey... President gets to eliminate someone who was investigating him and install his own choice, who I'm guessing will somehow not be that interested in investigating Russia's involvement in the election.

We can call/write our Members of Congress and demand a special prosecutor for the investigation--

quick script here
    Last edited by buzhidao; 05-10-2017 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cbenoi1 View Post

-cb
    You might want to revise that "left to go" number.

Travelling around the sun cbenoi1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaeZe View Post
    Took it here: https://howlonguntiltrumpleaves.com. Of course, if he ever gets the boot...

-cb

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    I don't see it happening any time soon. Whenever somebody claims to have hard evidence of actual illegal dealings, they get wished into the cornfield. Yeah, they can get called back to a grand jury or other investigation but when the people doing the so-called "investigating" are firmly attached to Trump in a show of ideology and/or they're just a sniveling little sycophant afraid of losing their job and having their constituents be mean to them at a local town hall meeting, I can't ascribe much meeting to any of it.
    Last edited by BenPanced; 05-10-2017 at 04:24 AM.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

All about that action, boss. ElaineA's Avatar
    WE are eaten. We are.

From Daniel Dale of the Toronto Star:
    Caught the end of John McCain's reaction to the Comey firing: "The president does have that authority, so I respect that."
    Not sure what to make of McCain's comment here, but all we can do is hope this will galvanize them into calling for a special prosecutor. I'm worried about evidence tampering.
    Last edited by ElaineA; 05-10-2017 at 04:26 AM.
    I have two Me's now

The IRL me:

Random tweety things @outtamylaine

And this other me:
    reneedominick.com and @Renee_Dominick on Twitter
    Also, this me is a contributor to kINKED, an Erotic Romance Anthology

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    WE are eaten. We are.

From Daniel Dale of the Toronto Star:

Not sure what to make of McCain's comment here, but if it's a shrug, and if congress won't investigate the Trump-Russia ties, the regime is fully installed.
    I don't think the GOP will investigate it, not fairly. They need an independent commission and a special prosecutor. Which they probably won't do.

Unless we get very very very angry about it, and let them know it.

Even then, small chance, I know, very small chance...but a chance anyway.

AW's resident Velociraptor ShaunHorton's Avatar
    I dunno. The sabers are rattling for the GOP right now. There's reports that democratic representatives are holding town-hall meetings in nearby districts where their Republican counterparts refuse to show their faces. I think it's coming that if the GOP don't put some shackles on their loose-cannon of a POTUS, the chances of a Democratic take-over in the 2018 election are going to be very real, and they have to realize that.

Unless of course, they already have plans in place to forgo the elections by then...
    My weekly blog
    My Amazon Author Page
    Twitter
    Facebook

It's out! Hannah is finally out of my hands and on Amazon!

"Is there something seriously wrong with you?"
    "Well, yeah, but that's kind of the point."

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunHorton View Post
    I dunno. The sabers are rattling for the GOP right now. There's reports that democratic representatives are holding town-hall meetings in nearby districts where their Republican counterparts refuse to show their faces. I think it's coming that if the GOP don't put some shackles on their loose-cannon of a POTUS, the chances of a Democratic take-over in the 2018 election are going to be very real, and they have to realize that.

Unless of course, they already have plans in place to forgo the elections by then...
    But people were all saying this sort of thing during the election. If they don't find a candidate to beat Trump, they'll lose the election. If they don't get a grip on Trump, they'll lose the election. Bombshell after bombshell. It's kept coming. If they vote for this health care bill, their jobs'll be threatened. But they did it anyway.

They didn't lose. His supporters do not care how corrupt he is. The GOP has not budged on party lines either. His entanglements with Russia are obscenely obvious, and have been for some time, and still they do not care. They have asked for documents the White House will not provide, and they do not care. Sessions was supposed to recuse himself, and yet hasn't; he's perjured himself on this topic, and they do not care. They were supposed to have a hearing on Russia with Yates, and kept asking her about the executive order instead, because they do not care about the investigation--they care about partisan bullshit.

They can easily partisan-bullshit their way out of caring about this.

We cannot assume they are going to care. All evidence points the other way.

Please call or write, if you have an opinion in this.
    Last edited by buzhidao; 05-10-2017 at 04:43 AM.

We of the anti-Trump mindset look at this through our lens, that this is more evidence of malfeasance. Maybe it is. I'll admit I don't care. I have dismissed Trump on less. So forgive me but I don't think this is the smoking gun that brings him down. His 27% don't care. They elected him, and we can continue to weep for not getting better support for anyone else.
    "...To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Watermark: A Novel of the Middle Ages

Merovingian Superhero ULTRAGOTHA's Avatar
    Conviction after Impeachment takes 67 Senators. We'll never get that in this Congress.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts."
    --Daniel Patrick Moynihan

================================
    "He has the courage of a fighting cock and the brains of a chicken."
    -I cannot find the attribution for this :-(
    ================================

@ULTRAGOTHA on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by ULTRAGOTHA View Post
    Conviction after Impeachment takes 67 Senators. We'll never get that in this Congress.
    Couple scenarios. If Pence, or Paul Ryan if Pence goes down with the ship, will replace Trump, you will indeed find plenty of Republican Senators to impeach Trump. They got their SCOTUS justice, they don't get anything else from Trump they wouldn't get from Pence or Ryan.

Second scenario, the Democrats take back the Senate and House in 2018. Now you have an issue if Pence is implicated because there would be a Democratic Speaker of the House. But you have a heck of a lot of pressure on those Congresspeople from the public. That scenario is 50:50 whether they'd impeach Trump if a Democrat would replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by MaeZe View Post
    Right. He forgot to add the second term.
    "The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government, are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite."
    James Madison, The Federalist No. 45

"Beware the greedy hand of government, thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry."
    Thomas Paine

Yep, though this whole thing is having more and more of a Nixon-era vibe, isn't it? Dogs all over the country are rolling in the stink emanating from Washington these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Right. He forgot to add the second term.
    You're a little bundle of joy and optimism, aren't you? Though you were about Trump's winning this time around too, and you turned out to be right, so,
    Last edited by Roxxsmom; 05-10-2017 at 05:40 AM.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

practical experience, FTW
    Comey deserved to be fired. I'm surprised it took this long. So, yeah, no angst for that.

Now we get the entertainment of another Trump appointment. I'm guessing either Joe Arpaio, who is out of work, or somebody utterly inexperienced in the field of law enforcement, which would be in keeping with many other Trump appointments.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

practical experience, FTW
    I am a "decline to state" AKA "a pox on both political parties." I have predicted that the GOP will finally get sick of little Donnie and throw him out within three years. Remember that the current VP is their kind of guy....

Quote Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
    Comey deserved to be fired. I'm surprised it took this long.
    Why do you think Trump was suddenly moved to do it now?

(Possibly related note, here's this thing about subpoenas being served to associates of Michael Flynn today.)

Quote Originally Posted by noirdood View Post
    I am a "decline to state" AKA "a pox on both political parties." I have predicted that the GOP will finally get sick of little Donnie and throw him out within three years. Remember that the current VP is their kind of guy....
    Who's going to make them? Why would they toss him out if they get everything they want?
    Last edited by buzhidao; 05-10-2017 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by buzhidao View Post

(Possibly related note, here's this thing about subpoenas being served to associates of Michael Flynn today.)
    The timing of this stinks, pointing to something rotten in the White House.

Quote Originally Posted by buzhidao View Post

The plot thickens. Am I the only one who didn't know there was a Grand Jury convened?

It would appear those subpoenas were issued before the 'Comey fired' letter went out.
    CNN learned of the subpoenas hours before President Donald Trump fired FBI director James Comey.

The subpoenas represent the first sign of a significant escalation of activity in the FBI's broader investigation begun last July into possible ties between Trump campaign associates and Russia.

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast