Paid review - here is the result

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinV

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Recently I took a risky choice and chose to get a couple of paid reviews of my fantasy novel. I managed to keep calm throughout the period and refused to make any predictions about what to expect. A month later and here came the reviews. I refused to read them for a whole day - my nerves finally caught up with me.
At last, I got to reading them. Some were more positive than others, of course, but the gist of them was:

"While the story was very creative and well-written as far as plotting and style are concerned, one can never overestimate the importance of proofreading. I would recommend having a second set of trained eyes read the piece before submitting the final drafts in order to catch typos, run on sentences, and verb tense errors. Despite those minor issues, however, this story has much potential! It is imaginative, interesting, and unique.
I thoroughly enjoyed your story! I loved the intricate plot and characters, as well as the unmistakable theme of brotherhood and loyalty that ran thickly throughout. I was sorry to get to the end of this submission. This is a story that I would want to read when it is completed."

Thought I would share it with the fine people at the Water Cooler.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Now that sounds pretty good

T.D. Dracken

Registered
Reaction score
Very nice. That's the sort of feedback that I think we all would love to get on our work.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Very nice. That's the sort of feedback that I think we all would love to get on our work.

Sorry, no. Maybe I'm biased, but published work should not contain lots of errors.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are these reviews or critiques?
This is a story that I would want to read when it is completed.
sounds more like critique.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little worried about the 'paid' aspect here, perhaps you could elaborate?

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I believe paid reviews are a very very big no no for Amazon. Big enough to really regret if you're found out.

Also - if you're paying for reviewers but not proofreaders... well, I'd put my money towards proofreaders.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
As mccardey says it sounds more like a critique than a review.

But 'paid' still bothers me for a critique (even worse, critiques, plural). Unless they're from reputable and professional assessment services...

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
My mistake. I meant critique, not review. And it's for a non-published story.

Ahh... that makes quite a difference. I was wondering about the typos, run-on sentences, and verb tense errors.

Even so, it means you're nearly there...

Last edited:

gjdevlin

Registered
Reaction score
I've spent years on screenwriting and never paid a dime for anyone to criticize my screenplays. I think one is better off at least trying to find five honest folks you know who are not afraid to tell you what is great and not so great about your book. I've been wary of 'paid reviews'. The feedback I got on my scripts were constructive and mostly honest. I've never sold a script but I think I grew as a writer in learning characters, arc, plot, pacing and why scenes should be there and if they are hampering the story etc...

As for proof reading - that's another service I would not mind paying for if one has the budget.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I think one is better off at least trying to find five honest folks you know who are not afraid to tell you what is great and not so great about your book.

That's often the problem, though. Back in the day when I was trying to write screenplays, I got hugely positive feedback from everyone I showed (admittedly, I did know almost all of them). But I spent some cash getting the things critiqued, and my God. They were brutally honest, and to a level I probably would have never got through other people. Really tore the thing to pieces, then spent a lot of time highlight what was good and what could improve the rest. I think it was worth it.

gjdevlin

Registered
Reaction score
That's often the problem, though. Back in the day when I was trying to write screenplays, I got hugely positive feedback from everyone I showed (admittedly, I did know almost all of them). But I spent some cash getting the things critiqued, and my God. They were brutally honest, and to a level I probably would have never got through other people. Really tore the thing to pieces, then spent a lot of time highlight what was good and what could improve the rest. I think it was worth it.

I agree that sometimes the paid critique services can be good and downright brutal. The only thing I would have to add is buyer beware and check out the persons reputation as a script critic - I know a few who are quite good. I had my screenplay reviewed by Scriptshadow and he was brutally honest and encouraging at the same time so I walked away feeling pumped knowing I can make it better.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I agree that sometimes the paid critique services can be good and downright brutal. The only thing I would have to add is buyer beware and check out the persons reputation as a script critic - I know a few who are quite good. I had my screenplay reviewed by Scriptshadow and he was brutally honest and encouraging at the same time so I walked away feeling pumped knowing I can make it better.

Agreed.

Bradley Shiner

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

MartinV or anyone else- Could you perhaps recommend some paid critique services you used ? (at best for fiction)

Anyway you might be delighted with promising feedback you received.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.