ScriptRevolution

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
I recently posted my screenplay to Script Revolution (https://www.scriptrevolution.com/). Honestly, I was suspicious of the site, even though it's free. I'm just by nature skeptical, but all my research indicates that it is exactly what it says it is, a place to upload your script and your bio, and for producers to sniff around and see if they find anything they like. Like InkTip and The Blacklist, but free.

Aside from simply being skeptical by nature, it's the internet, so scam alerts are always going off in my head. I still can't figure out how they pay for it, but that's somebody else's problem. There's also a lot of good stuff like screenwriting tips and whatnot in addition to being a place to flog your script.

I have no illusions about my script being "discovered," but what the hell -- it's free, right?

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has had experience, good or ill, with the site.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I have a few scripts posted there, and I've gotten a few reads but nothing has materialized. Still, I think CJ Walley means well. (I've known him from Stage 32, another site where I found a few leads. Even got a script optioned but then that never went anywhere either. Sigh.) Yeah, I don't know about discoverability, but so far I've had nothing *bad* happen with Script Revolution.

EmSalah29

Registered
Reaction score
This place sounds interesting. I might check it out. What about plagiarising? Most sites where you upload your work usually has some problems with people plagiarising others' work.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Is that just a general feeling or have you witnessed or encountered this yourself?

My take on posting material online (which seems to be a thing you have to do these days if you're hoping to get yourself noticed) is that it's got a date and time stamp, so if plagiarism does happen, at least it's one more scrap added to the paper trail of ownership. Before you do this, you'd maybe register your screenplay, for much the same reason.

-Derek

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
You can register your screenplay with the Writer's Guild of America for around $20.

DevelopmentExec

Registered
Reaction score
You don't have to post your script online on Script Revolution. You can post the logline and synopsis and then if people are interested in reading the script they can contact you. It's not as convenient so less people may look at the script, but on the other hand, you control who has access to it.

CJ Walley

Founder of Script Revolution
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cjwalley.com
Hey Steven, just wanted to jump in, say hi, and answer a few questions. I replied on your April blog post too.

Firstly, thanks for mentioning the site, it relies on word of mouth to attract new members.

I built the site myself (had to learn a lot to do that), and I funded it myself for the first year to show my commitment to it (I'm not a rich man). Now members can contribute to the running costs via Patreon if they so wish, but nobody has to.

I won't deny that I'm somewhat disappointed with the lack of success stories thus far. It's been nearly 14 months now and I'm only aware of one spec script sale, a bunch of short options, and a load of anecdotal reports of members being contacted by industry members. It keeps me up and night and I'm always working to try and improve things. It's just very time consuming when combined with my working life, hobbies, activities, and of course, writing. Plus, there's some things that are just way beyond my skills with code at the moment.

It is free though and I believe the site will attract more industry members in the future. I see some heavy hitters signing up from time to time. There were two from a reputable management agency in LA who signed up only last week. It's going to be slow though, and screenwriters will always lean toward the paid services due to their exclusivity.

Stick with it and worry not that there' some sort of money making scheme behind it. There really isn't. I'm here to build my career as a writer and that's it. Script Revolution is all about curbing the tide of paid for writing services, keeping the door open for the next generation, and opening up the global screenwriting market.