Hello!

meaghangray

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Glad to be joining the community here. I've gotten a lot of invaluable advice here in the past and, now that I am writing more actively, decided to finally sign up and start contributing.

A bit about me: I do technical writing during the day and creative writing during my free-time. I really enjoy writing exercise that stimulate me to think differently and approach writing in a more well-rounded way. I have just self-published my first novel and intend to keep self-publishing work. It is available for free, as I intend some other work to be, though I am sure that I will put prices on the occasional piece someday. I do love working with and getting to know other writers, but I have never really formed a bond or corresponded back-and-forth about my or their work with any (I hope to!)

I think that's about it! Look forward to chatting with you guys!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Meaghan. Welcome! :snoopy:

E. Steve

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Meaghan - You came to the right place for interactions with other writers. Glad you are here. :banana:

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Welcome, meaghangray!

I do love working with and getting to know other writers, but I have never really formed a bond or corresponded back-and-forth about my or their work with any

Me neither, other than some fellow fanfic writers. But that's easy, because instant fannection (fan-connection. Just made it up, totally a word).

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings! I am also fairly new here, and also a technical writer by day. :)

meaghangray

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys!! Really enjoying it here so far.

Hello and welcome. :) In your experience, where have you find the best writing exercises?

Oh, good question. I actually haven't found one that satisfies me online yet. The best exercises I have found are usually in old text books that I've picked up from used bookstores. They'll have short stories and studies on those short stories, writing exercises based around the style of those stories, and the ones without stories are just loaded with advice and exercises. I like these a lot because I'm more of a genre-type writer and these exercises are usually more literary, so it helps me achieve a more well-rounded style (I hope!)

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Meaghan! Congrats on publishing your first novel! ;)